HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 18, 2021, 4:50 AM
keep the good times going

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
I noticed the old pizza place being dismantled today. I hope it doesn’t become a parking lot for that seniors place.
Which one, the Bella Vista?

Old Posted Apr 18, 2021, 6:02 AM
surely you agree with me

Yeah.

Photo from the staff room in Richardson Innovation Centre. Looks like a real city. If you don’t look too close.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2021, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Yeah.

Photo from the staff room in Richardson Innovation Centre. Looks like a real city. If you don’t look too close.
Who knew it was all paper mâché?

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Apr 18, 2021, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ywgwalk View Post
Here's the site (or at least what was fenced in from the St. Regis demo) from ground level on Thursday:

That includes the old parking lot, so would be the full site for the new building.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2021, 7:43 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRiToNDREyJA View Post
This is around what I got as far as street-side length using the drawings as a base.

Having seen this and other angles in the context of the skyline, I think I actually kind of like the way it fits in. It's not perfect, but it will plug a pretty big gap in the skyline from a lot of angles. And who knows, maybe it gets a few extra floors and becomes new tallest. Could spark a boom with that many new residents. Maybe enough to fill in a few more surface lots. Critical mass may not be that far away. So long as investors with enough money are interested, I think this will continue
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Apr 18, 2021, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labroco View Post
I’m having a very hard time imagining how this project will be financed.
Does anyone know who the developer is and where the 30% of equity is coming from?

Has anyone priced out a meter of concrete vs the rental rates in Winnipeg?

While I’m not that opposed to this ugly 50 story building with a stupid parade that is not required, one has to ask how Urban Design Review will assess the proposal.

If it’s not being proposed by a large Canadian developer with a huge track record it will not be financed...

While the site is “sold” have the proponents actually written a cheque for $3,800,000 to CV or are they still holding a mortgage?
Gerald Matheson, one of owners of the former Bentley Homes. Theyve completed a couple of 5 story apartment buildings in Island lakes, and an industrial park(matheson industrial park in Oakbank), but nothing of this scale before. Not sure where the money comes from though.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2021, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Yeah.

Does the Nutty Club give a shit about any of their properties? Doesn't look like it.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2021, 9:35 PM

Yeah a new paint job would do wonders on their properties , would improve it immensely!

Old Posted Apr 18, 2021, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewIreland View Post
Does the Nutty Club give a shit about any of their properties? Doesn't look like it.
I’ve always been curious, what is actually inside the Nutty Club buildings? Are they all separately owned? What are they now?

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 12:27 AM

Most still have some confectionary operations, but share with other businesses. The closest one in the foreground is home to Les.Net fibre internet.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Most still have some confectionary operations, but share with other businesses. The closest one in the foreground is home to Les.Net fibre internet.
Thanks, always wondered

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 2:52 AM
keep the good times going

Quote:
Yeah.
That's sad. My grandmother used to love going there with us for pizza when she was in town. Haven't been there in years though.

Does anyone know what is replacing it?

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 3:50 AM

Doesn't nutty club make that pink popcorn.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 4:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Doesn't nutty club make that pink popcorn.
Yes. I was in the factory once when it went POP! These buildings house an iconic and successful enterprise that has chugged along for a very long time.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peg View Post
That's sad. My grandmother used to love going there with us for pizza when she was in town. Haven't been there in years though.

Does anyone know what is replacing it?
No idea. What happened was that right before the pandemic, the owners retired and sold it to a couple of business partners who were going to keep it going. Assuming the pandemic crushed them before they had a chance.

Article about it from Oct 2019

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/ar...564106692.html

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
Having seen this and other angles in the context of the skyline, I think I actually kind of like the way it fits in. It's not perfect, but it will plug a pretty big gap in the skyline from a lot of angles. And who knows, maybe it gets a few extra floors and becomes new tallest. Could spark a boom with that many new residents. Maybe enough to fill in a few more surface lots. Critical mass may not be that far away. So long as investors with enough money are interested, I think this will continue
I agree. You don't see very many midblock highrises like that in Winnipeg. There are a few, but not many. The relatively small footprint of a pretty large project leaves the door open to even more development eventually along Graham on the former SkyCity site, which is certainly good news.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 2:48 PM
North End Troublemaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
The one in the back left (facing Pioneer) has their offices -- the GM has an office on the top floor with nice views of the city, but no elevator (I might be remembering this incorrectly, they might have an elevator, but he stairs it for exercise).

The one in the foreground has Les.Net and the production of their candied popcorn only. They moved all the rest of their production a long time ago, but moving the machines they make their popcorn with was too expensive and risked damaging machinery that is difficult to source parts for.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 5:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveosnyder View Post
The one in the back left (facing Pioneer) has their offices -- the GM has an office on the top floor with nice views of the city, but no elevator (I might be remembering this incorrectly, they might have an elevator, but he stairs it for exercise).

The one in the foreground has Les.Net and the production of their candied popcorn only. They moved all the rest of their production a long time ago, but moving the machines they make their popcorn with was too expensive and risked damaging machinery that is difficult to source parts for.
Other production is in the Eaton Warehouse on Alexander /Lily /Galt.

They may have production in Vancouver / Burnaby as well..

Old Posted Apr 22, 2021, 8:04 PM

Forgive me if this has been discussed here already.. but what are the chances that we see a reclad of the Richardson building? I've always thought of it as an eyesore but it really stands out now that most of its neighbors are sleek glass. I think it would look great if it got the same thing done to it as 360 main.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2021, 8:16 PM

^ Anything is possible, but I would personally not want the Richardson Building to get a reclad. I consider it the most iconic of Winnipeg's tall buildings and I would like to see it remain with its good mid-century modern exterior.

On that note, what drives skyscraper reclads like 360 Main? Is it mainly by a need to fix problems with the existing building envelope, or is marketing a factor (i.e. sprucing up a tired looking building's image)? If everything is working as it should, would anyone ever consider a reclad?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan