HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 18, 2022, 11:06 PM
BANNED

Old Posted Aug 19, 2022, 8:28 PM
Chicago

1400 S Wabash

August 18, 2022

Old Posted Aug 20, 2022, 12:49 PM

1959 W Lake/145 N Damen got construction permits yesterday. This highrise will probably finish before the Damen station lol

Old Posted Aug 20, 2022, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
1959 W Lake/145 N Damen got construction permits yesterday. This highrise will probably finish before the Damen station lol
Here's a rendering of it. It'll be 12 stories with 96 total units (63 of them affordable). Great added density in this area for sure, especially because it's mainly open (at least nice grass there) land:
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8841...7i16384!8i8192

Via https://chicagoyimby.com/2021/03/pla...west-side.html

Old Posted Aug 21, 2022, 7:55 PM
Urbane observer

I'm trying to update a listing of all Chicago highrises (I have one that goes up through 2009). I can't figure out how to get addresses or architects from the SSP "Database" except to query one building page at a time. Is there some way to download the data for Chicago buildings—with all fields?

Old Posted Aug 22, 2022, 1:28 AM

OCS isn't tall enough?! jk...

Yeah, the post office selling that site next to the old Rainforest Cafe has always been my dream. Someday that hole in RN (McDonald's, Hard Rock, Post Office, BP, Walgreens) will get eaten up and then RN will finally feel more like Midtown. I think it would take a bit of a housing boom for that to transpire though.

North Union is planning to build 600-700 footer towers as last phase of the plan and I believe those will be built given JDL's frenetic delivery track record (more Near North but pretty similar). Those are phase to break ground ~ 2024 I believe which isn't that far away. These are going to seem absolutely massive in their surrounding area.

Also the Salvation Army development - has some 600'+ towers planned which is almost River North.

But I don't really see any 'surprise' tall towers popping up in RN. They would need a huge lot like OCS. But yeah it'd have to be on the McDonal'd lot or post office. Can't think of anywhere else one would really fit - and I don't see any NY superskinny's being supported by prices in RN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toasty Joe View Post
great shot a few days ago from Barry Butler:

Would love to see some tall towers sprout in River North - particularly a supertall at the Post Office site

Old Posted Aug 22, 2022, 4:21 AM
BANNED

I really dislike that part of river north. the area with the bp gas station, suburban walgreens with a parking lot, suburban drive thru mcdonalds with a parking lot, the drive thru portillos, just kills the whole vibrancy of the area.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2022, 5:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegoatman View Post
I really dislike that part of river north. the area with the bp gas station, suburban walgreens with a parking lot, suburban drive thru mcdonalds with a parking lot, the drive thru portillos, just kills the whole vibrancy of the area.
Yeah I think this is the consensus view.

The only potential development progress has been the closing of Rainforest Cafe.

https://blockclubchicago.org/2022/04...ed-dispensary/

Quote:
Replacing the aging facade — which features a tree canopy, giant mushrooms and swinging monkeys — would be “welcomed by the neighborhood,” Riordan said.
Every vacant building seems to have had it's run as a 'potential cannabis' dispensary. I don't think this one panned out.

Quote:
One potential challenge facing the deal is a state law that prohibits dispensaries from locating within 1,500 feet of each other. At least two other dispensaries appear to be within that range of the former Rainforest Cafe.
I'm not sure about formal approval/denial of the dispensary. But maybe if it has been denied Conlon will move on to look for another opportunity for the property.

Last edited by rivernorthlurker; Aug 22, 2022 at 11:57 AM.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2022, 11:39 AM

I'll never get the walgreens. Maybe in 1989 but not now

having development "jump over" those things with towers west of LaSalle has helped some, making the BP feel like it's in a bowl, but the whole area needs a re-imagining

Old Posted Aug 22, 2022, 1:01 PM

I'm not sure when McDonald's would be willing to give up that parking lot or if HardRock Cafe will ever leave that location but I can see the BP and Walgreen's being replaced with high rises in the next few decades

Old Posted Aug 22, 2022, 1:40 PM

Live a few blocks from that area... seems like the Weedforest Cafe is happening. They are taking lots of parking from the surrounding buildings too. I guess something is better than nothing. Currently it's a hangout (and smokeout) for delivery cyclists.

That Walgreens is rough, mostly due to the crackheads that harass you. I only go to the CVS a bit east, so much nicer/safer.

McD & Hardrock should sell those parking lots. One tower can have enough for both (like what One Chicago did for Holy Name).

Also still waiting on new about the fire station redevelopment. Seems like they have not secured an anchor tenant yet?

Old Posted Aug 22, 2022, 2:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricochet48 View Post
Live a few blocks from that area... seems like the Weedforest Cafe is happening. They are taking lots of parking from the surrounding buildings too. I guess something is better than nothing. Currently it's a hangout (and smokeout) for delivery cyclists.
Not any more, construction fences are up.
Here's what is planned: https://drive.google.com/file/d/13u5...80Xll7Uqt/view

I believe it went to the ZBA last week without the alderman's support. Not sure if it was approved or not...

Old Posted Aug 22, 2022, 2:46 PM

Not sure if this was posted on here already, by the Shapack/CRG project at 170 N. Green will officially be called "One Fulton Market."

It's shy of 500 feet, but still might benefit from it's own thread like 900 Randolph...

Old Posted Aug 22, 2022, 10:10 PM
TL;DR

I am very surprised that the Fire Dept/CDOT will let them call it "One Fulton Market" when it is not on Fulton Market and it is not at 1 N/S or 1 E/W. The first time there is a 9-1-1 call, first responders will be very confused.

Then again, they have David Reifman listed as the project contact so I guess they can get whatever they want from city agencies...

Old Posted Aug 22, 2022, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegoatman View Post
All the development on wells has helped tremendously. Wells is kind of cute now. Just need that vector to continue to push east. However, LaSalle is such an unpleasant street to live on and McDonald's will never sell that land ever. It might take a while.

Maaaaaybe a supertall could go on on of the lots flanking NBC tower.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2022, 1:27 AM
Chicago

360 N Green

August 22, 2022

Old Posted Aug 23, 2022, 1:28 AM
Chicago

210 N Aberdeen

August 22, 2022

Old Posted Aug 23, 2022, 1:28 AM
Chicago

140 N Ashland

August 22, 2022

Old Posted Aug 23, 2022, 4:08 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I am very surprised that the Fire Dept/CDOT will let them call it "One Fulton Market" when it is not on Fulton Market and it is not at 1 N/S or 1 E/W. The first time there is a 9-1-1 call, first responders will be very confused.

Then again, they have David Reifman listed as the project contact so I guess they can get whatever they want from city agencies...

But is this just a name of the development (as opposed to a 'vanity' address....I think there's another word for this type of address)? In other words, just like calling 233 S Wacker Willis Tower (but this marketing name happens to sound like an address)? So different than, for example, Riverside Dr addresses. Just a question.........I don't know the answer....but if this is the case, what input would Fire Dept/CDOT have in how real estate developments are marketed?

Last edited by SamInTheLoop; Aug 23, 2022 at 4:23 PM.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2022, 6:01 PM

732 West Randolph

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations