HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 3:49 PM

Sorry, these comments are dumb. Whether or not remote learning is "trash" has nothing to do with anything.

The facts are that A. Schools weren't closed; and B. There was no alternative to remote learning, at the beginning. They were never going to keep in-school learning while the teachers were dropping dead right and left, which is what was happening in March-April 2020.

NYC public schools alone lost like 70 employees to Covid in the first few weeks. You cannot keep in-person learning going when you're losing a few employees per day.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 3:56 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Schools weren't closed.
the school BUILDINGS were closed.

that's what people mean when they say things like "one of the most challenging aspects of covid for our family was when they closed all of the schools for months on end".

it's WAY beyond painfully obvious to any normal person that they're talking about the goddamn school buildings themselves being closed.

your strange reluctance to acknowledge the fact that most normal people frequently speak in verbal shorthand, and can easily understand those verbal shorthands from context, is quite bizarre.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 5:04 PM
Resu Deretsiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
the school BUILDINGS were closed.

that's what people mean when they say things like "one of the most challenging aspects of covid for our family was when they closed all of the schools for months on end".

it's WAY beyond painfully obvious to any normal person that they're talking about the goddamn school buildings themselves being closed.
It's just an internet "gotcha", which is gonna happen in supercharged threads like COVID. If people don't like what they see it's gonna end with an insult or with a "gotcha", but you easily disproved it. The issue with "schools are closed" is that pro-virus forces can use it to make it seem like schools are completely closed. So a mother doing her research on facebook might see it and think that the local authorities are monsters, or something.
The bigger issue here is childcare during a pandemic when parents have to work, because many people did not know or consider that school plays both roles. California offered unemployment to the parent staying home I believe. I was able to help family members with the e-learning, but as soon as class was over I couldn't get them to do homework. I'd get in trouble after mom and dad got home.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 5:17 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWAK View Post
The bigger issue here is childcare during a pandemic when parents have to work, because many people did not know or consider that school plays both roles.
exactly.

which is precisely why when parents were screaming:

"for the love of god, would you please just re-open the goddamn schools* already!"

what they were really saying is:

"I need a place to send my children to everyday for 7 hours so that i can get my own shit done and pay our fucking bills!"

(*) "schools" as in "school buildings", for the verbal shorthand impaired among us.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Oct 28, 2021 at 6:48 PM.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
Masks aren't the solution and people aren't going to wear them indefinitely. I would imagine even in the most liberal area, people are burning out. I saw a lot of 'non compliance' all over the Bay Area.
I don't think there are mask mandates in parts of the Bay Area outside SF (and as a result SF and Marin regularly have the lowest rates of covid in the Bay Area).

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 7:16 PM
Resu Deretsiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
I don't think there are mask mandates in parts of the Bay Area outside SF (and as a result SF and Marin regularly have the lowest rates of covid in the Bay Area).
The places with no mandates (here) had sky-high infection rates with delta, and some day we could be part of the Bay Area. They let Merced.....

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 7:25 PM
The City

Quote:
You're damn right there ain't no mask mandate outside the Bay Area!!

I was just in the Angels Camp area of Cali 2 weeks ago for a wedding. Went to a hotel, restaurant, another hotel, another indoor brunch. People everywhere, and maybe 2 people were wearing masks the whole time.

I can't believe I survived. Shucks, I was worried that I was gonna catch me some COVID and DIE SOMETHING FIERCE!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 7:36 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
There were in Alameda and Santa Clara as of a couple of weeks ago. That might have changed though...

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 7:52 PM
Resu Deretsiger

Quote:
There were in Alameda and Santa Clara as of a couple of weeks ago. That might have changed though...
If some areas of California do, and some don't...that means we weren't exactly the lockdown state. All of you apologize to California immediately or I'm gonna say that COVID is dangerous, or something.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 8:15 PM
Dryer lint inspector

One would assume specifically mentioning Alameda and Santa Clara counties meant we're referring to some of California, not all of it.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 8:21 PM
Resu Deretsiger

Quote:
One would assume specifically mentioning Alameda and Santa Clara counties meant we're referring to some of California, not all of it.
I was right about the "gotcha", and I should have protected my post better from it. Good one.
Oh well....COVID is deadlier than AIDS.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 8:28 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
I was right about the "gotcha", and I should have protected my post better from it. Good one.
That too is debatable.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 8:39 PM
Resu Deretsiger

Quote:
That too is debatable.
My sources in the medical field confirm that COVID is worse because it can impact a larger portion of the population. I told the thread I would say something though, so there is some time to figure out what to say.
I will not reveal my sources, but let's just say it's in the CE.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 9:14 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
well, we can play semantics if you really want to, but if i can't send my kids into the physical school building where they are supposed to spend 7 hours every weekday doing school stuff with their teachers and classmates, then that's a "closed school" in my book.
it’s not semantics and school is not day care. students received instruction all along and staff and students were kept safe. nyc doe staff were among the first vaccinated, so in person learning returned promptly afterward this spring. that is the correct way to handle a pandemic as thankfully we now have the tech to do so. end of story.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 9:20 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ oh no!!!! another person suffering from VSIS (Verbal Shorthand Impairment Syndrome)

this disease is more serious than i thought.

perhaps even worse than covid itself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
it’s not semantics
yes it is.

Quote:
school is not day care
yes it is.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 9:23 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
It’s been basically two years. When will kids not have to wear stupid masks? 5 years? 10? How much longer because this insanity government mandated paranoia ain’t going away anytime soon. And most people are sick of the insanity. Let the 20 percent of weirdos who still wear masks wear them forever. Let kids and everyone else stop wearing masks. These kids are going to be super fucked up socially. It was already bad enough with every kid staring at phone screens all day and not socializing properly.
yeah we all are suck of it totally agree. you might have heard kids are now approved for vax, so it wont be too much longer. spring, summer school or next school year at worst. the interesting thing is demographically its kids who seem to want the vax the most.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 9:24 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
^ oh no!!!! another person suffering from VSIS (Verbal Shorthand Impairment Syndrome)

yes it is.

yes it is.

no, no and no.

if thats how little you think of your children’s educators, that’s sad.

but carry on.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 9:31 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
if thats how little you think of your children’s educators, that’s sad.
i think of our local school as a place that will help educate my children AND as a place for them to go to for 7 hours every weekday.

as TWAK said earlier, public schools serve BOTH roles for our society. it's not just only one or the other; there's no need for myopia like that.

and anyone who's ever been a single parent, or part of a 2 working parent household, FULLY understands this dual-role nature of public schools.

if that's sad, then our entire society is sad.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Oct 28, 2021 at 9:46 PM.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 9:33 PM

Quote:
COVID isn't deadlier than AIDS. I think you mean HIV, though. But COVID probably isn't deadlier than HIV, either. HIV without medication is almost 100% fatal. AIDS is pretty much 100% fatal.

However, COVID is an airborne, easily transmissible virus, and HIV is not. It's a nonsensical comparison.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 9:42 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
i think of our local school as a place that will help educate my children AND as a place for them to go to for 7 hours every day.

as TWAK said earlier in the thread, public schools serve BOTH roles for our society. it's not just one or the other.

and anyone who's ever been a single parent, or part of a 2 working parent household, fully understands the dual-role nature of public schools.

if that's sad, then our entire society is sad.
Yeah. Obviously the primary objective of school is for education. But in many cases, school provides other things too like meals, shelter, exercise, social bonding. Teachers (good ones) are sometimes more of a parent figure than some parents themselves.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions