HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jul 21, 2021, 1:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite View Post
Rt values of the G7,
Canada is really standing out being the only G7 member with falling cases. And deaths are down to an average of 7 day now

You have two other threads for these posts in where they're actually somewhat relevant. Stop spamming them in the thread that's specifically about "life in your city", unless no one went to a restaurant today because the R value crossed 0.8.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2021, 1:17 PM

Next month Canada will allow fully vaccinated Americans to enter Canada, which is great, except that they're also requiring negative Covid tests, which is gonna be a deal-breaker for almost everyone who doesn't need to go (i.e. family, cottages, etc.).

So when will Canada actually be practically accessible? Are we looking at 2022? Until it's passport + vax card, most are gonna wait to conduct business and leisure travel.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2021, 1:42 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ Just whom are you having a conversation with right now? Literally. No one. Is saying “gee I wish we were Canada right now.”

I’d rather sacrifice my left nut than to live in the authoritarian hellhole that you live in, all to just keep cases of the Common Cold as low as possible

3 of 10 provinces are fully open (as in, no more provincially-mandated COVID restrictions in place). The other 7 are mostly back to life-as-usual now, and/or will be joining those other 3 shortly.

We're basically where the US was at in terms of reopening a couple months ago. Which makes sense, given that the vaccine rollout happened a couple months later here. Reopenings have been frustrating slow & overly cautious at times, but authoritarian hellhole it is not. I mean, you live in Illinois, which only reopened in full in what, June? Wow, so much freedom. Meanwhile those across the border in authoritarian Canada have had to wait 1-2 more months for the same thing.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2021, 1:44 PM
The City

[QUOTE=Nite;9345860]
Quote:

Look at this authoritarian hellhole

Video Link
I have not the foggiest clue what you accomplished by showing me this video. Hardly a soul on the street. What kind of life is that? Might as well live in the countryside.

I don't see any point in vaccination if you can't live you life, and that's exactly seems to be Canada's problem. You guys literally have the shittiest leadership in the developed world (although not as bad as Japan, I guess, which got into the vaccine game super late).

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jul 21, 2021, 1:53 PM
The City

In the US, now, some Governors (particularly in States like Illinois) are sounding the alarm that .....................GASP.............................positive case rates are rising!!!

"We might have to bring mitigations back!!!" says fuckface JB Pritzker

Let me break this down logically:

1. You end all mitigation efforts
2. Obviously, case rates will rise. THIS IS EXPECTED. Let me repeat: THIS IS EXPECTED. People are dining, going to games, having parties---ie living--again.
3. Stop panicking over #2. More people will now die because dolts will be dolts and will refuse the vaccine, but vast majority of deaths will be among the unvaccinated.
4. Let the vaccinated live their life again if you want to have the slightest hope of getting them to comply with a booster shot in the future.
5. COVID will be mutating forever. And ever. And ever. And ever. Get over it, we are never going to defeat it, and will only be defeating civilization as we know it by imposing these destructive top-down measures

I'm sure I convinced nobody with this post, but rant over....

Old Posted Jul 21, 2021, 1:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Next month Canada will allow fully vaccinated Americans to enter Canada, which is great, except that they're also requiring negative Covid tests, which is gonna be a deal-breaker for almost everyone who doesn't need to go (i.e. family, cottages, etc.).

So when will Canada actually be practically accessible? Are we looking at 2022? Until it's passport + vax card, most are gonna wait to conduct business and leisure travel.
I don’t see why it would be a deal breaker so long as clinics in the US are still offering free testing?

Here in the U.K., I had to PAY for a pre-flight test and a day 2 post arrival test when I came back from Spain, despite being fully vaccinated.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Jul 21, 2021, 1:57 PM

Quote:

Why is that different than almost everywhere else? You have to get a COVID test to enter almost any country with borders open to U.S. citizens now. And you also have to get a COVID test to return to the U.S. from anywhere.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2021, 2:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
I don’t see why it would be a deal breaker so long as clinics in the US are still offering free testing?
It's a pain. I have a busy schedule with work and family, and the test is required within 72 hours of arrival. I barely have time to shower lately.

So, for a work or family trip, multiple people would have to each take two hours off for a bullshit test. Not happening. I'll wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
Here in the U.K., I had to PAY for a pre-flight test and a day 2 post arrival test when I came back from Spain, despite being fully vaccinated.
Are they testing in the airport, prior to departure? I could deal with that.

But I'm not taking an afternoon off to hunt for a clinic test and wait in a room with a bunch of ostensibly ill people and idiots who have refused to vax.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2021, 2:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
Why is that different than almost everywhere else? You have to get a COVID test to enter almost any country with borders open to U.S. citizens now. And you also have to get a COVID test to return to the U.S. from anywhere.
And that's why I'm not headed to Europe this year. My family gets together every September in Germany, and we're missing it for the first time (last year was cancelled). Most people aren't gonna travel until it's a routine/mundane process.

And there are plenty of countries that don't require testing. Basically all of Latin America and the Carribean.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2021, 2:15 PM

Quote:
And there are plenty of countries that don't require testing. Basically all of Latin America and the Carribean.
You will need a COVID test to enter most countries in the Caribbean. You even need one to enter Puerto Rico unless you're vaccinated.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2021, 2:25 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
I don't see any point in vaccination if you can't live you life, and that's exactly seems to be Canada's problem. You guys literally have the shittiest leadership in the developed world (although not as bad as Japan, I guess, which got into the vaccine game super late).

Yes and no. Healthcare is under provincial jurisdiction in Canada, which means that most COVID measures are imposed by provincial governments - and different provinces have had very different approaches with different outcomes. Some, like Ontario & Quebec's, have been terrible (draconian lockdowns, yet still had high death rates because they were poorly targeted); while others like BC’s, have been excellent (minimal health measures imposed, yet still had low case rates because they actually "followed the science"). Others, like Alberta & Saskatchewan, took a more hands-off American-style approach (few restrictions, but higher cases loads), while the Atlantic provinces basically achieved zero-COVID by hermetically sealing themselves off from the rest of the world.

The federal government for their part, has some hits (vaccine procurement, income supports) and misses (too slow to close the borders in spring 2020, too slow to reopen the borders in summer 2021).

Considering we now have one of the highest vaccination rates in the world and are either fully or mostly reopened (varying by province, as mentioned earlier) though, I’d say we haven’t done too bad. Except for Ontario’s government, which has been truly terrible in every possible way.

Quote:
In the US, now, some Governors (particularly in States like Illinois) are sounding the alarm that .....................GASP.............................positive case rates are rising!!!

"We might have to bring mitigations back!!!" says fuckface JB Pritzker

Sounds like an authoritarian hellhole.

Last edited by MonkeyRonin; Jul 21, 2021 at 2:45 PM.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2021, 2:32 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post

Sounds like an authoritarian hellhole.
^ It's trying to be. Many elected leaders in Illinois, California, etc want their States to be authoritarian, but can't quite pull it off as well as Canada because they still have a public that values civil liberties.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2021, 2:33 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:

my wife and i are thinking about taking a (no kids!!!) trip down to our time-share in Cabo in nov./dec.

we're both fully pfizer vaxxed.

does anyone know what exact protocols/restrictions are in place for non-essential travel to mexico from the US right now?

Old Posted Jul 21, 2021, 2:36 PM
BANNED

Quote:
^ It's trying to be. Many elected leaders in Illinois, California, etc want their States to be authoritarian, but can't quite pull it off as well as Canada because they still have a public that values civil liberties.
LA County, 10 million people:

Quote:
not a single fully vaccinated person has been hospitalized for COVID-19 at L.A. County's massive public hospital system
https://news.yahoo.com/l-county-coro...120023795.html

Be afraid, be very afraid of Delta!

Old Posted Jul 21, 2021, 2:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
my wide and i are thinking about taking a (no kids!!!) trip down to our time-share in Cabo in nov./dec.

does anyone know what exact protocols/restrictions are in place for non-essential travel to mexico from the US right now?
There aren't really any restrictions on entering Mexico if traveling by air. You'll probably still need a negative COVID test to re-enter the U.S. via air travel by then, regardless of vaccination status.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2021, 2:41 PM
BANNED

Quote:
my wife and i are thinking about taking a (no kids!!!) trip down to our time-share in Cabo in nov./dec.

As of a month ago, most resort/hotels have testing on site in the lobby area. I think you'll still need that to fly back.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2021, 2:44 PM

Quote:

Not sure about Mexico, but international travel is so fluid right now in terms of what's needed, not needed. Because we never got on the vaccine passport train at the federal level, there's no one-stop shop to prove your vaccinated. The exception of course is flashing your card.

In the UK, you can prove your vaccination through the NHS app, but only UK citizens can do that. In the EU, they just rolled out a vaccine passport. Right now, only EU citizens can sign up, but there's been talk that non-EU citizens might be able to sign up.

I think the best thing you can do is just book your tickets, and if things become too difficult, you can always back out and cancel. It's changing constantly though.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2021, 2:47 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:

Again, the various restrictions & reopenings in Canada have generally mirrored those in the US, but with a 1-2 month delay because vaccination was 1-2 months behind.

Is that 1-2 month delay the difference between freedom and tyranny?

Old Posted Jul 21, 2021, 2:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister244 View Post
Not sure about Mexico, but international travel is so fluid right now in terms of what's needed, not needed. Because we never got on the vaccine passport train at the federal level, there's no one-stop shop to prove your vaccinated. The exception of course is flashing your card.

In the UK, you can prove your vaccination through the NHS app, but only UK citizens can do that. In the EU, they just rolled out a vaccine passport. Right now, only EU citizens can sign up, but there's been talk that non-EU citizens might be able to sign up.

I think the best thing you can do is just book your tickets, and if things become too difficult, you can always back out and cancel. It's changing constantly though.

Yeah, Mexico doesn't care about that lol. The government decided long ago to prioritize their tourism industry over COVID mitigation.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2021, 2:50 PM

Quote:
Mexico has no restrictions right now. We're headed to Mexico City in a few months for a wedding and some down time. And Mexico isn't gonna change, they don't care about anything but tourism revenues.

But the U.S. might still require negative test for a return, though I believe most major hotels/resorts provide this service.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions