HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Closed Thread

Old Posted Apr 18, 2018, 4:51 PM

On my way to the battle, I'll also pick the rake and torch marked "YES PLEASE BUILD". I liked this design when I first saw the leaflet in the presentation and developed a greater appreciation for the design as Mr Gill described the details and thought process.

I did get a Pearl River Tower vibe from it at first, but the comparisons were superficial. I don't think it takes away from Vista or any of the recently proposed developments, as Chicago is far from a monolithic city and draws its charms from the many different styles displayed across its beautiful skyline.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2018, 5:43 PM

The bottom line question is this: do you want a flashy starchitect design like the Chicago Spire that remains a hole in the ground or a built supertall like this?

You'd have to be a nut to choose the former.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2018, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
When the design was first revealed I was a tad disappointed, I expected something that would resemble the Tribune Tower more and not an Asian supertall. However, upon closer inspection it really started to grow on me. After reading the architect's mindset I can't help but feel this design is almost perfect for this location.

Had it been designed to resemble the Tribune Tower it would have most likely came off as tacky or overbearing to the original building. I love how the design has very subtle gothic elements and a strong verticality to it. The vertical lines draw your eye straight to the top which prevents the design from competing with its smaller counterpart, despite being three times taller. Not to mention its position in the skyline is damn near perfect, adding a nice focal point to the center of the skyline when viewed from the east or west, which happen to be its best sides.
Well stated.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2018, 6:13 PM
DENNAB

I like that this building brings something new to Chicago, at first I didn't think it belonged since it looks more Shenzhen-ish, and Chicago is mostly boxy buildings, but it's sleek, thin and would definitely add to the skyline.

You know, if it were a real proposal and all...

Old Posted Apr 18, 2018, 6:30 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
You know, if it were a real proposal and all...
huh?

this is a very real proposal from a very real development team.

whether it actually gets built or not, that's for the market to determine, but there's nothing fake about this proposal.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2018, 6:43 PM

Looks pretty sick, don't think we have anything close to the kind of demand tho

Old Posted Apr 18, 2018, 6:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenmore View Post
Looks pretty sick, don't think we have anything close to the kind of demand tho
It definitely looks like it’s pushing the limits, but not unreasonably so.

I decided to take a look back at the beginning of the Vista thread the other day. See how many comments there are about how there can’t be enough demand, where are all these rich people coming from, the market is going to crash, quantitative easing created a stock market bubble, the market is overbuilt, Chicago’s broke, everyone is leaving, china’s gonna go belly up, etc etc.

All of that stuff was possible then and it’s possible now. But Vista seems to be doing really well, and the amount of growth has only increased since 2014. So I’m optimistic.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2018, 7:03 PM

The basic design of the tower is in vogue in China, but also the United States. The recently completed Salesforce Tower in San Francisco has a similar tapered crown. I think the Tribune East proposal, or whatever they end up calling it, has a more elegant look to it. It's thinner and the crown ends in a more interesting way. I particularly like the concave east/west sides with contrasting gold fins. It's a good look and would be unique to Chicago's skyline. I'm a fan.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2018, 7:07 PM

^ I agree with what you're saying, but this proposal looks soooo much better than Salesforce.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2018, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khantilever View Post
It definitely looks like it’s pushing the limits, but not unreasonably so.

I decided to take a look back at the beginning of the Vista thread the other day. See how many comments there are about how there can’t be enough demand, where are all these rich people coming from, the market is going to crash, quantitative easing created a stock market bubble, the market is overbuilt, Chicago’s broke, everyone is leaving, china’s gonna go belly up, etc etc.

All of that stuff was possible then and it’s possible now. But Vista seems to be doing really well, and the amount of growth has only increased since 2014. So I’m optimistic.
Isn't this mostly hotel and apartments? They may not need all that much pre sales on the 100+ condos to get this going.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2018, 7:19 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khantilever View Post
LOL!

chicken little is eternally with us.

that particular brand of pessimism does repeat itself over and over in chicago.

i think the knee-jerk skepticism is rooted in the fact that most chicago supertall proposals eventually end up fizzling, sometimes even after they've started construction.

it's understandable, though occasionally misplaced (as Trump and Vista prove).

Old Posted Apr 18, 2018, 7:32 PM

Super surprised with all the hate. I think this is amazing! The height and location of the building will really enhance the overall skyline of Chicago. It will help connect the south and northern skylines together to make it all one big skyline. One more supertall half way between this and John Hancock would be perfect. I'm glad chicago is getting another building thats about the same height as the Willis tower, so cool! I think if it was less rounded and had sharper edges like the Trump tower that I'd like it more but who knows, either way super excited about this

Old Posted Apr 18, 2018, 7:36 PM
BANNED

I think 50/50 is a good bet. Like who knows what the economy is going to do over the next year and half, especially with a maniac in the white house starting some illogical trade war, and that's really what it boils down to. If the economy has legs and the Orange Thing is checked, the area def has enough wealthy investors and nesters to get this thing built.

Regarding the design, the graphic of all Chicago's supertalls make me like this more, at least contextually. I do hope the city sees something truly innovative at the spire site, something on par with that Hadid fantasy rendering we saw. Even half as innovative would be a gift.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2018, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
LOL!

chicken little is eternally with us.

that particular brand of pessimism does repeat itself over and over in chicago.

i think the knee-jerk skepticism is rooted in the fact that most chicago supertall proposals eventually end up fizzling, sometimes even after they've started construction.

it's understandable, though occasionally misplaced (as Trump and Vista prove).
Except Vista started construction at a time where it had been a number of years since another huge, high end condo building had been built. What's more, it had the backing and finances from a huge Chinese company who wanted to make a statement in the United States. TTC also probably had favorable conditions at it's start.

I wouldn't say the conditions are bad for this one by any stretch. But they're probably a bit different. I think the hotel and apartment piece would help in getting it off the ground. And it's location is good, and it's a ways off before it would break ground. Notyrview's 50/50 odds probably aren't that off.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2018, 8:05 PM

Salesforce looks cheap compared to this, I always hated the horizontal lines.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2018, 8:09 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgolch View Post
Except Vista started construction at a time where it had been a number of years since another huge, high end condo building had been built. What's more, it had the backing and finances from a huge Chinese company who wanted to make a statement in the United States. TTC also probably had favorable conditions at it's start.

I wouldn't say the conditions are bad for this one by any stretch. But they're probably a bit different. I think the hotel and apartment piece would help in getting it off the ground. And it's location is good, and it's a ways off before it would break ground. Notyrview's 50/50 odds probably aren't that off.
i don't think you understood me.

regardless of any surrounding economic conditions, there will always be naysayers whenever a chicago supertall is proposed. it's as reliable as the tides because, as i said, chicago skyscraper nerds have been burned so many times by so many failed supertall efforts over the decades. it's entirely natural to be skeptical when you've been burned so many times in the past.

as for this project's odds of happening, i think 50/50 is a safe and meaningless enough starting point. it might happen. it might not.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2018, 8:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gebs View Post
No, but it should only be a matter of time before rgarri shows us his SKetchUp model of Chicago with the Smith+Gill design and its proper height / massing. I know a lot of us are patiently waiting to see how it would look from Grant Park and the West Loop because the renderings showed during Monday's meeting were mostly up close or from the immediately surrounding area.
Still need to smooth out edges and materialize it but here's some views.

Last edited by rgarri4; Apr 18, 2018 at 9:06 PM.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2018, 8:27 PM
1st Ward

Amazing renders, rgarri4, as always!

One minor request... can you give us a surface level perspective from say LSD & Roosevelt, if at all possible? I'd like to see how much it would potentially tower over the north wall of Grant Park... assuming its not entirely blocked by Aon?

Old Posted Apr 18, 2018, 8:28 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^^outstanding work, rgarri4! thank you!

incidentally, how tall do you have wolf point south in your model?

Old Posted Apr 18, 2018, 8:35 PM

Thanks rgarri4!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals