HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted May 11, 2015, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
Construction is rocking at Portland! As I thought, tower crane base is in place. We should see another tower crane in the sky very soon!

With the height and width this building is going to make a big impact on the area I cant wait!

also With those trees and just calling it just Portland I thought you were some Oregonian coming to our forum to gloat.

Old Posted May 11, 2015, 10:43 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
With the height and width this building is going to make a big impact on the area I cant wait!

also With those trees and just calling it just Portland I thought you were some Oregonian coming to our forum to gloat.
Lol, sorry. I was already fighting with my phone posting this and I didn't feel like typing the whole thing out. I'll abbreviate "POTP" next time!

Old Posted May 11, 2015, 10:49 PM

The apartments at 11th and Washington, both NWC and SEC, are pretty much topped off, and while poking around there I noticed three other zoning hearing signs, one at 12th and Washington NEC, one at 11th and Jefferson NEC, and one at 10th and Jefferson where there is currently a mortuary that I think is dead.

Old Posted May 11, 2015, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
The apartments at 11th and Washington, both NWC and SEC, are pretty much topped off, and while poking around there I noticed three other zoning hearing signs, one at 12th and Washington NEC, one at 11th and Jefferson NEC, and one at 10th and Jefferson where there is currently a mortuary that I think is dead.
I *think* one of those was mentioned previously as a 4-5-6 story apartment, similar to the ones you mentioned. It almost seems like Washington and Jefferson west of the 10 are seeing some similar development to what Apache has seen from the light rail line in Tempe.

I would love to see that area become a housing hub with 4-8 story apartments/condos. Unfortunately, I don't see it become more than fairly low income housing, but that is needed as well.

It would be pretty cool to see more development West of downtown on the light rail line and with the increase in the much discussed higher income housing downtown and in midtown.

Old Posted May 11, 2015, 11:15 PM

I don't know that "low income" would be an accurate descriptor there, as I've read these new apartment buildings are 1200+ rents, and Artisan and the green roof condos are not cheap IIRC.

Anyway, there's potentially five new buildings going up around 11th and Washington, and if they are even of average size that's about 700 units. That neighborhood is going to be very different in a few years... I wonder if it will have its own character.

Old Posted May 11, 2015, 11:53 PM
METRO: Encanto

Quote:
I don't know that "low income" would be an accurate descriptor there, as I've read these new apartment buildings are 1200+ rents, and Artisan and the green roof condos are not cheap IIRC.

Anyway, there's potentially five new buildings going up around 11th and Washington, and if they are even of average size that's about 700 units. That neighborhood is going to be very different in a few years... I wonder if it will have its own character.
Street? Avenue?

Old Posted May 12, 2015, 2:17 AM
Skyriser

^ Street.

Old Posted May 12, 2015, 2:18 AM

Biggus Diggus -" Mortuary I think is dead".....did you really say that?

Old Posted May 12, 2015, 2:20 AM

Old Posted May 12, 2015, 6:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymratmanaz View Post
Biggus Diggus -" Mortuary I think is dead".....did you really say that?
I wondered if he was talking about the people on the inside or the outside or both?

Old Posted May 12, 2015, 3:40 PM

Quote:
It was mentioned some pages back, short apartment building like 100 units or so, doesn't look very good.

Overall forgettable but it is density in a blighted area so I'm not complaining.

Old Posted May 12, 2015, 4:37 PM
BANNED

Downtown Phoenix shows cultural, developmental boom

http://azbigmedia.com/ab/downtown-ph...74b6-170858405

Old Posted May 12, 2015, 8:11 PM

I went for a walkabout this weekend, and I could not believe how much construction and growth there truly is. I was also struck with how many people were walking and biking about the streets. (I actually saw people on the green bike rentals!!!) The new housing going up, the new shops, coffee places, bars, restaurants, street improvements, Hotel Monroe (Hilton, I know) being worked on, and so much more. It was really cool, and I know there is more to come. Someone earlier talked of us hitting that TIPPING POINT. It really hit home that we have. We, no doubt, have ways to go, but DAMN there is a lot going on and soon to be. Very Cool!!!

Old Posted May 12, 2015, 8:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymratmanaz View Post
I went for a walkabout this weekend, and I could not believe how much construction and growth there truly is. I was also struck with how many people were walking and biking about the streets. (I actually saw people on the green bike rentals!!!) The new housing going up, the new shops, coffee places, bars, restaurants, street improvements, Hotel Monroe (Hilton, I know) being worked on, and so much more. It was really cool, and I know there is more to come. Someone earlier talked of us hitting that TIPPING POINT. It really hit home that we have. We, no doubt, have ways to go, but DAMN there is a lot going on and soon to be. Very Cool!!!
I did the same thing, Was in Tempe and drove around looking at all the constructions I knew of, then up to Scottsdale along Scottsdale Road. New apartments and building improvements going up all along, around old town, Still new bars, Mall Expansion, new apartments going up etc, then down Camelback which had a few projects, past the Biltmore. Down central and then around downtown.

There is a LOT going on all around town.

Old Posted May 13, 2015, 3:13 AM

Random Roosevelt / Hance Updates

Has anyone else noticed the metal cloud like structure that are going in the peninsula shaped median where 3rd and 4th st. meet at Roosevelt?

Sure looks like the proposed clouds at Hance Park... I'm not sure how it will look yet when finished, but that would be really cool if they were in fact taking the theme beyond the boundaries of the park. Definitely would create more of a sense of place. I hope they cover the ground with grass and not concrete or gravel.

Both Illuminate and the other Baron property project both look like progress continues, with a more permanent, covered fence.

Also, looks like web site is up for EnHance (http://ensperience.com/). I know we've seen the rendering, but wasn't sure if we saw the web site.

So many good things going on!

Old Posted May 13, 2015, 3:59 AM

Apparently, Alliance Residential is the newest buyer (not sure if it's final yet, though) of the property along Roosevelt from 3rd-5th Streets - the site that includes Canvas and the Bodega 420 house.

I think this could either be really good or really bad news.

Alliance's previous efforts in more urban settings have been underwhelming. Broadstone Camelback is gated with detached garages and without walk-ups or any other typical urban features in buildings that lack a commercial component. Broadstone Central (dead?) was also mono-use and incorporated a large parking lot fronting Central Ave. Lastly, Broadstone Arts District is - like the others - mono-use and actually received variances to make the McDowell frontage even less engaging.

However, Broadstone Waterfront's design was much more reflective of the immediate area than any of their other projects. The architecture fits well with the rest of the waterfront buildings, and it contains a decent-sized retail component to complement the row of retail across the street. I'm hoping that they see this site as being similar to the Waterfront in that it is in a commercial, active district, with a focus on the arts and creative small businesses.

The best case scenario would be for them to design apartments that have a distinct architectural design (as opposed to their typical brown stucco), with underground or wrapped parking, and live/work units fronting Roosevelt. I'm also hopeful that the outrage over Wood's original proposal will convince them to keep the two remaining buildings and build around them, which really shouldn't be that difficult. IMO, Canvas is more important than the Bodega 420 house if a choice must be made; Canvas is such a great example of the adaptive reuse that is defining the entire area and is really the only site along Roosevelt Row with a cluster of restaurants among the galleries.

Worst case scenario would essentially be for them to duplicate Wood's proposal or one of their projects like Broadstone Camelback: gated complex, prominent parking, destruction of both Canvas and Bodega 420 without any commercial space developed to replace these losses. Will be interesting to see what happens, and how/if the original protests impact the process and design.

Old Posted May 13, 2015, 4:39 AM

Nowhere near downtown, but I saw a notice that they're attempting to rezone and amend the general plan for the USAA land near I-17 and Jomax/Happy Valley. Mixed use commercial, office, hotel and residential.

Old Posted May 13, 2015, 2:59 PM

"Exclusive: Lennar to break ground in July on Central Avenue-McDowell Road apartments"
May 12, 2015 by Mike Sunnucks, Phoenix Business Journal
Quote:
The trio of complexes total more than 1,000 units, said Nathan Stum, development manager of Lennar Multifamily. The most anticipated of those projects is a 367-unit complex on long vacant land at the northwest corner of Central Avenue and McDowell Road in Phoenix. Lennar Corp. (NYSE: LEN) is scheduled to start construction in July...

The development will be called The Muse and will also include 1,300 square feet of commercial space. Stum said a coffee shop, bistro restaurant and salon are likely to be in the ground level space.

Old Posted May 13, 2015, 3:24 PM

The area around Phoenix Theatre and the Art Museum will be really amazing once Muse and the Broadstone complex get done. Broadstone, the same as on Camelback across from The Biltmore, will build on where the defunk Los Olivos is, north of McDowell and 1st.

Old Posted May 13, 2015, 3:39 PM

Los Olivos closed??

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest