HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jun 3, 2013, 5:08 PM

A Glorious Day in the DPRK

The last and final stop of the Asian Saga, and what better place to end the tour than North Korea. If you missed the previous stop in Kolkata, see it here. Leving Kolkata, I flew the hump back into China and Beijing. After an afternoon in the city and a briefing from my tour agency, I was ready to visit the most isolated country on the planet, North Korea. I flew Koryo Air into the country which was a great intro to what I was going to experience. Propaganda plays continuously on the entertainment screens and copies of the Pyongyang times are handed out to each passenger. Extra Extra! South Korean Puppet Spy Defaces Statue of Generalisimo Kim Jong Il In Master Plot Orchestrated by Imperialist Masters in America!

There is really too much to detail so I'll try and hit some of the major points.

The country is the most isolated and unique country I have visited. It really feels like stepping back 50 or 60 years into the past. The people's dress and possessions are rudimentary; I think I saw one or two cell phones the entire week I was there. Cars are essentially non existent, when I did see one it was usually a party member or a tourist vehicle. However, the streets of Pyongyang are wide and accommodating, creating an eerily quiet environment. Standing on a busy boulevard at rush hour, the only sounds I heard were footsteps and bicycle bells. Keep in mind this is a city of 3 million people. There is little to no market activity which creates an incredible sterile street scene. No advertisements, no hucksters, no goods being hocked, just austere and blank walls, every now and again a government issued white sign with blue letters, indicating what is sold from the business within.

Around the world, nearly every country has developed in a somewhat similar manner over the last 30 years. Cuba, Mali, India, China, Bolivia; any developing country, have followed similar paths as their economies have grown and their citizens' desire for improved communication, transportation and entertainment options have been satisfied. The DPRK, because it is so isolated and locked down, is really the last place on earth where market economics and the resulting effects, cell phones, scooters, satellite dishes, are completely absent.

The cult surrounding the leaders is really more similar to a religion. When you see the propaganda statues and monuments, think of them like churches or holy sites. Because of this, I had to be extremely respectful of the people's beliefs and even had to buy flowers to place at some of the states. I didn't want to do so but I wouldn't travel to Mecca and start bad mouthing Allah.

I had to travel with guides as independent travel is banned. Being an American was no issue. My tour agency had no problems securing me a visa and I had no issues returning to the US stating I had visited the DPRK. Photography is a sensitive subject. For the most part, I had to ask before every shot I took. Shooting in Pyongyang was much easier than in the country side. I would have liked to have taken some closer shots of the people but there was no way that was happening.

The hotels were basic even though they were listed as 5 stars. Perhaps the only 5 star hotel I've stayed at that didn't have hot water...

Shots are from: Pyongyang, the city and the Arirang Mass Games; Nampo city where I was supposed to visit some factories but couldn't go due to bridges being destroyed by major floods; and Kaesong and the DMZ.

OK, that's enough text. If you have any questions I'll answer them in the comments. Some tunes:

Option A: Major Lazer - Get Free. The song I was blasting when I was there and my personal choice for the tour.

Video Link

Option B: Crazy NK propaganda music. It's a long thread, maybe play them both.

Video Link

My guides, driver and me at the Pyongyang airport with a special visit by a surprise guest. I look like someone who had been on the road for 3 months.

And that ends the Asian Saga. Thanks to all of you that followed along. I recently returned from abroad again, this time from India, Tibet and Myanmar. I should have another tour highlighting those areas but it will be some time before I get my shots edited and posted.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2013, 5:21 PM

Haha great end to an awesome set.

I dig the Major Lazer / totalitarian country contrast.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2013, 5:43 PM
Paradise Island

Amazing! I never thought I would see a North Korea thread on SSP. The communist aesthetic and brutalist overload really gives it the look of a place apart. How did people in public places react to a westerner taking photographs?

Old Posted Jun 3, 2013, 5:45 PM

Brilliant!

Old Posted Jun 3, 2013, 6:17 PM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

You need to be employed by National Geographic, Okayyou. Your stuff is THAT good!

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Jun 3, 2013, 6:25 PM

Amazing set !
First pic is a fav

Old Posted Jun 3, 2013, 6:33 PM
Has been

Holy F*ck.
I mean that a good way of course.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2013, 6:52 PM

damn, that was fascinating. i never expected a North Korea tour on SSP!

Whats striking besides the fact that the place looks like a boring hell is that the demeanor of the people is very telling. They all look worn out, tired and depressed. sad

Old Posted Jun 3, 2013, 6:52 PM
3rd Coast King

The photos don't want to all load on my phone. I'm going to have to check this from a pc.

My Book

Old Posted Jun 3, 2013, 7:07 PM
Red October standing by

A-W-E-S-O-M-E!!!

great photos, new best NK thread ever. i'm super-psyched because i've been planning to start a Pyongyang-esque city on Simcity 4, but good detailed cityscape pics aren't easy to find.

-

-fflint

Old Posted Jun 3, 2013, 7:10 PM

so much wow

Old Posted Jun 3, 2013, 7:21 PM

Unbelievable. In the best possible way

Old Posted Jun 3, 2013, 7:42 PM
devout Pizzatarian

now this is a photo tour you don't see everyday.

utterly fascinating!

fantastic work!

thank you!

Old Posted Jun 3, 2013, 8:29 PM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
Hell on earth never looked so darn pretty. I have to wonder if the residents of North Korea are aware on some level of the grotesque joke that has been played on all of them.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Jun 3, 2013, 9:10 PM

This is definitely one of the finest photo threads ever posted on this website. What a treat.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2013, 9:24 PM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

Mind. Blown.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2013, 9:29 PM

Excellent photos. . . thanks for sharing. . .

. . .

Old Posted Jun 3, 2013, 10:22 PM
Global Citizen

I've already seen most of them a couple of months ago on your Flickr account and they have lost nothing of their fascination.

IMO one of your best sets with tons of great compositions. Most of those Pyongyang shots look like they are straight out of a dystopian SciFi movie.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2013, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowrock View Post
You need to be employed by National Geographic, Okayyou. Your stuff is THAT good!
Just wanted to second this. Great work!

Old Posted Jun 3, 2013, 10:48 PM
It could be worse!

On the one hand North Korea's government is one of the most despicable on be planet. On the other this thread is, quite simply, a masterpiece. Your photo threads are always fascinating, Okayyou, but this one will be remembered on this forum for a very long time.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos