HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 9:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool maudit View Post
Could be Swedish but I'm gonna say Estonian. It's that little extra sportswear push that makes me think Baltic.
I was going to say Scandinavian or eastern European but Baltic kind of captures it. In America you'd just think they bought all their clothes at Target.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 2:00 PM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
Absolutely. They're the ones carrying the real estate brochures and home guides around, and they're the ones asking random restaurant waitstaff if the weather today is normal. In the summer, they're the ones working hard to keep every 80's stereotype about old people alive and well -- socks and sandals, pants or shorts pulled up to the nipples, fanny packs... the works.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 2:09 PM
if I sang out of tune

socks+sandals, fanny packs (theyre called bumbags here as fanny=c*nt, and theyre exclusively worn over the shoulder not the waist) shorts pulled to the nipples, all back in fashion here for some time. They're probably Latvian rave artist hipsters looking for Coco Chanel and some raw charcoal to eat. I'm so sorry

Last edited by muppet; Jan 22, 2020 at 2:24 PM.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 2:11 PM

Yeah, I'm going with Polish, East German or Baltics. Their luggage contains more than one football jersey. And doesn't contain sunscreen with adequate SPF for sunny SoCal.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 2:18 PM
A gruff individual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppet View Post
socks+sandals, fanny packs, shorts pulled to the nipples, all back in fashion with hipsters too. I'm so sorry
Oh? London has already powered through the 'Blossom' look and come out on the other side? That was fast, almost like a fashion weather front.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 2:27 PM
if I sang out of tune

OMG who is that fashion denizen??? I want to know which Paris folk salon she studied at and who her stylist team are. Darling you simply MUST find me where she's cruising.

She would literally get snapped for a street style website if she started walking round the markets.

https://www.vogue.com/article/spring...t-style-trends

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 2:33 PM

Here in Philly, I automatically know that someone is a tourist or transplant if they:

-Don't cross against the light and/or "jaywalk" (a term conceived to criminalize pedestrian activity).
-Don't know how to transfer between the trolleys and the El or BSL
-Call the El the "Market-Frankford Line"
-Yell "back door!" at a trolley operator
-Use the named street before the numbered street when describing an intersection (ex. "Chestnut and 16th" instead of "16th and Chestnut")
-Walk slowly through Center City
-Says "the SEPTA" (ex. "I'm going to take the SEPTA to City Hall" instead of "I'm going to take SEPTA to City Hall")

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 2:36 PM
A gruff individual.

Quote:
OMG who is that fashion denizen??? I want to know which Paris folk salon she studied at and who her stylist team are. Darling you simply MUST find me where she's cruising.

She would literally get snapped for a street style website if she started walking round the markets.
The last time I was in London, everyone under the age of 30 looked like that. Meanwhile, I got open-mouthed stares because I have a big fluffy beard and hair to my ass.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 2:40 PM
if I sang out of tune

Youre ahead of your time. Once the Laura Dern in Jurassic Park look becomes like SO 2019

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 3:17 PM

Easy. The Germans wear their lederhosen while the French normally have a scarf, beret and wear a striped sailor shirt. If you can't tell an Eye-talian from his clothes, you will notice tomato sauce on the corner of his mouth or curly mustache. Easy peasy.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 6:08 PM
A gruff individual.

Quote:
Youre ahead of your time. Once the Laura Dern in Jurassic Park look becomes like SO 2019
On the contrary. Fluffy beards and long hair on men is the height of fashion here where I live... Which is another way you can tell the tourists from locals. Younger tourist men look like they came off the same assembly line that makes Ken dolls, down in suburban Atlanta or Charlotte.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 6:37 PM
E pluribus unum

In Flagstaff, the locals with long hair and fluffy beards usually wear a beanie and flannel and are sometimes called (I wish I was making this up) "lumbersexuals"

I guess it sort of makes sense since the local university's athletic nickname is the Lumberjacks and the town was originally established as a logging community. It took about seven or eight times for the old, wood constructed townsite to burn to the ground before people realized the benefits of constructing buildings with concrete and brick...

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 6:37 PM
Future God

In Nashville it's incredibly easy. Anybody wearing a cowboy hat and/or boots who is not playing music is definitely a tourist... or any group of women wearing matching outfits and wooing a lot (bachelorette party.) Of course, that doesn't go for every tourist, but locals don't wear that stuff, and for some reason tourists think that because they'll be listening to some country music they have to dress up in a costume. I don't get it, but whatever.

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 7:08 PM
Dryer lint inspector

I think tourists over the age of 35-40 regardless of region or country are less apt to chase trends. I stopped caring about what was trending a long time ago. I can still spot an American while overseas like a fart in a church; heavier, ball caps, sports jerseys, cargo shorts, fishing shirts, etc where as Europeans/ Asians tend to be a bit more style conscious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
Wouldn't be an issue in SF: You wouldn't have it long. Somebody would rip it off your neck soonest and unless it's worth at least $950 (and you could prove it), that wouldn't even be a felony in CA these days.
It's worth way more than that and I've been to third world countries and never had any issues. I also don't hang my camera around around my neck but a wrist strap and have camera in hand at all time.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 7:22 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
Most people don't carry cameras anymore so opposite is true for that now. I have a huge DSLR and no matter what city I'm in, people see the camera and assume I'm local and walk up to me and ask for directions. I was just in Chicago and people kept asking where the closet L stop was. I just told them: 1060 W Addison.
this has me a bit confused, maybe you can explain?

you definitely see fewer cameras these days, no question about that, ha, although way more pics being taken.

however, it still seems to me that anyone with a camera is a tourist. not sure how i would think that camera guy is a local?

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 7:40 PM
BANNED

Anyone dressed up in one of these sweaters in the summer. Bonus points if the whole family is wearing them.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 7:43 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
Wouldn't be an issue in SF: You wouldn't have it long. Somebody would rip it off your neck soonest and unless it's worth at least $950 (and you could prove it), that wouldn't even be a felony in CA these days.
Not sure if you're attempting a joke, but if not, this is misleading and not the norm. Most of the property crimes in SF are nonviolent thefts, typically in the form of car break ins. There are very few "attacks" where someone is actually getting robbed. I and many other photographers have walked around SF many times with DSLRs and have never had anyone even physically attempt to steal our gear from our hands. And yes, I've walked around the Mid-Market/Tenderloin areas with my gear.

Of course, there are occasional instances where even news crews get mugged.
https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/loca...co-pier/67510/

Also, most decent camera lenses alone are worth more than $950.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 7:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post

you definitely see fewer cameras these days, no question about that, ha, although way more pics being taken.

however, it still seems to me that anyone with a camera is a tourist. not sure how i would think that camera guy is a local?
Now that phone cameras have gotten a lot better it seems like the bigger cameras are mostly used by professional photographers. I've switched from using big cameras to my cell phone and a small camera that I can fit in my pocket.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 8:05 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post

You do realize there is a whole profession and hobby dedicated to photography right? So yes, someone with a camera in Times Square will stand out as a tourist, someone doing time lapse photos on some random city street will not.

When I was in Chicago taking photos, I was taking random shots of the L track blocks away from most of the touristy stuff and that's where I was hit up for directions. If I was at the Bean, most would have assumed I was a tourist.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 9:48 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
Not sure if you're attempting a joke, but if not, this is misleading and not the norm. Most of the property crimes in SF are nonviolent thefts, typically in the form of car break ins. There are very few "attacks" where someone is actually getting robbed. I and many other photographers have walked around SF many times with DSLRs and have never had anyone even physically attempt to steal our gear from our hands. And yes, I've walked around the Mid-Market/Tenderloin areas with my gear.

Of course, there are occasional instances where even news crews get mugged.
https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/loca...co-pier/67510/

Also, most decent camera lenses alone are worth more than $950.

You can cite as many facts as you want. Nothing is getting through that Fox News bubble.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions