HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Oct 10, 2020, 1:49 AM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPHXskyscraperfan View Post
So the Millennium apartment looks like all metal (I don’t know steel?), I don’t see any concrete. I haven’t see any buildings go up like this. Definitely glad it’s not wood frame but anyone ever see this?
Spoke to the construction workers about it a few days ago. It's all galvanized steel. Very interesting way to build. I've never seen all galvanized steel construction like that either. Even the flooring is steel panels.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2020, 1:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro View Post
Spoke to the construction workers about it a few days ago. It's all galvanized steel. Very interesting way to build. I've never seen all galvanized steel construction like that either. Even the flooring is steel panels.
Maybe it’s a trend, hopefully, to get away from wood frame.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2020, 1:59 PM
Skyriser

Quote:
It's almost certainly steel-pan construction. I don't know the right terms but they have a steel subfloor that they backfill with concrete.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2020, 9:01 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Maybe it’s a trend, hopefully, to get away from wood frame.
I think since it’s supposed to be 9 stories, they can’t build wood frame that high.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2020, 11:01 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeltonR View Post
I think since it’s supposed to be 9 stories, they can’t build wood frame that high.
Correct. 5 Floors is as far as you can go with wood framing here. But you technically could build 4 floors of concrete or steel and then 5 floors of wood framing on top of that. It would not surprise me if they went that route in PHX

Old Posted Oct 13, 2020, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Correct. 5 Floors is as far as you can go with wood framing here. But you technically could build 4 floors of concrete or steel and then 5 floors of wood framing on top of that. It would not surprise me if they went that route in PHX
You laugh but wasn't that basically what they did with the Edison?

Old Posted Oct 13, 2020, 11:17 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
You laugh but wasn't that basically what they did with the Edison?
Yep! Pretty much.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2020, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Yep! Pretty much.
If you really want to laugh, go stand across the street from the Edison. The entire building is crooked. It looks absolutely awful. I can't believe people are buying in there. It's embarrassing how crooked that thing is... from every angle.

Oh yeah, not to mentioned the unfished half that still has temporary fencing. Amazing the city allows that crap.

I live across the street in One Lexington and any unit going on the market is sold in days. The market is on fire. If they can't sell a phase 2, they never will. And they'll be stuck owning in a forever half-finished building.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2020, 2:22 AM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 View Post
If you really want to laugh, go stand across the street from the Edison. The entire building is crooked. It looks absolutely awful. I can't believe people are buying in there. It's embarrassing how crooked that thing is... from every angle.

Oh yeah, not to mentioned the unfished half that still has temporary fencing. Amazing the city allows that crap.

I live across the street in One Lexington and any unit going on the market is sold in days. The market is on fire. If they can't sell a phase 2, they never will. And they'll be stuck owning in a forever half-finished building.
I called it when they were building Edison that we would be stuck with an unfinished garage. I think the only thing that Edison can do at this point is build the second half with concrete (the way they should have from the get go). Maybe go for 10-15 floors to attract buyers with better views.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2020, 5:28 AM

The condos at Edison are underwhelming for the asking prices. Disappointing to hear this other stuff as well since they are one of the few buildings that advertises fiber internet.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2020, 12:22 AM

I just drove down Central and thought I’d post here since it is right next to the Edison and across from Park Central. The Jack in the Box, had boards on half the windows and the sign on the building was down and it looked closed. Not that I eat at Jack in the Box much but was it Vandalized? Seems kind of odd to vandalize a Jack in the Box right in between two luxury condo buildings. Might be a little unsettling if you live in those condos, I live right down the street. I’ve thought for a couple years that they should put a decent restaurant in there but this seems to be a weird way to do it,lol, unless they just started gutting it?

Old Posted Oct 16, 2020, 1:08 AM

Ate there Tuesday and everything seemed normal.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2020, 1:43 AM
Modulator

Google Maps shows it permanently closed (that was pretty quick). Checked for any plan reviews or permits for the site and couldn't find anything. Guess businesses just got bad due to COVID and it was axed?

Old Posted Oct 16, 2020, 2:31 AM

Quote:
Google Maps shows it permanently closed (that was pretty quick). Checked for any plan reviews or permits for the site and couldn't find anything. Guess businesses just got bad due to COVID and it was axed?
It looked vandalized to me. I doubt Jack in the Box got impacted too bad by COVID. If anything business might of increased, people looking to eat cheap.

Last edited by CrestedSaguaro; Oct 16, 2020 at 3:00 AM.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2020, 3:04 AM
Modulator

Quote:
It looked vandalized to me. I doubt Jack in the Box got impacted too bad by COVID. If anything business might of increased, people looking to eat cheap.
Ugh! Sorry that it shows that your post was edited. That's twice I've done that tonight. I keep clicking the wrong button. I've got to get used to my new mod powers.

Anyway, I did check the news for anything that may have happened to it like vandalism or a car wreck, but nothing in the news about it. On a personal note, I myself didn't care for it much. In the 3 years I worked over at the Financial Center, I only ate there once.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2020, 5:11 PM

That Jack in the Box has been there for a very long time I doubt that it would close. But who knows.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2020, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
That Jack in the Box has been there for a very long time I doubt that it would close. But who knows.
I live in One Lexington and noticed that when i came back from the gym yesterday morning (it was still dark about 5:30am) there were some contractors with an area of the parking lot roped off.

I highly doubt it was vandalism. I also doubt that it would be closed permanently. For whatever reason Jack-in-the-Box seemed to luck out and never sell with that prime location on Central and on Mill Ave.

My guess would be a remodel but I guess we'll see. I can keep an eye on it and update accordingly.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2020, 6:09 PM

Catalina West of Central is getting a nice feel to it.

http://imgur.com/gallery/fHwXIOJ

Old Posted Oct 17, 2020, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 View Post
I live in One Lexington and noticed that when i came back from the gym yesterday morning (it was still dark about 5:30am) there were some contractors with an area of the parking lot roped off.

I highly doubt it was vandalism. I also doubt that it would be closed permanently. For whatever reason Jack-in-the-Box seemed to luck out and never sell with that prime location on Central and on Mill Ave.

My guess would be a remodel but I guess we'll see. I can keep an eye on it and update accordingly.

Yeah, the whole thing is boarded up now, hopefully a decent restaurant goes in there. Or maybe they’re remodeling, who knows,lol.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2020, 3:04 AM

Quote:
Yeah, the whole thing is boarded up now, hopefully a decent restaurant goes in there. Or maybe they’re remodeling, who knows,lol.
Drove by it Saturday and it certainly looks like Jack in the Box is closed for good. I work at the VA building near it and it was always nice when my knee was flaring up because it was so close. I thought I remembered seeing a picture of central from the 60's and there was a Jack in the Box in that same location. It's just a fast food place, but is seems that it has been part of the fabric of that part of Central Ave for 60 years.

Found the Photo. I can't actually find who first uploaded it because Flickr doesn't allow for a right click and search google for similar images.

Here is the Flickr link:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/georgie56/8654223999/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest