HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Mar 28, 2017, 12:39 AM

I was Downtown yesterday and there was litter all over Roosevelt Row, the Angel's Trumpshit area and Hance Park. This lack of maintenance goes back to the CDC Business District plan that was shut down by some business owners in the district. I hope these guys get a kick out of keeping their "business district" shitty for now, because it won't last forever. Pretty huge difference between the Downtown core (maintained by Clean & Green) and trash infested Roosevelt Row.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2017, 2:24 AM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUSunDevil View Post
I was Downtown yesterday and there was litter all over Roosevelt Row, the Angel's Trumpshit area and Hance Park. This lack of maintenance goes back to the CDC Business District plan that was shut down by some business owners in the district. I hope these guys get a kick out of keeping their "business district" shitty for now, because it won't last forever. Pretty huge difference between the Downtown core (maintained by Clean & Green) and trash infested Roosevelt Row.
Good point. The other day I actually took some time to sit on the metal benches that are part of the public art at 3rd St. & Roosevelt. The good news is that the trees planted there are growing nicely and I had plenty of shade. The bad news was all the litter there.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2017, 5:43 AM

Well, fuck. Filling this lot with a mixed use tower was too good to be true...

What I don't understand is why the Roosevelt Row owners think they deserve to be 'pitched' to by every developer? These business owners have already gotten more than their fair share of gifts:

1) Being able to dictate the streetscape project and, if not for relentless fighting, scrapping parallel parking as of course they are no experts in urban design.
2) Chasing away the developer who had planned senior housing as part of their Knipe House restoration.. if anything shows how exclusive to others this group is, this would be it.
3) Constant whining about parking shortages THAT DO NOT EXIST, leading to the city paving temporary lots on 2nd st, etc.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2017, 3:56 PM
BANNED

I think if Circles owners didn't demolish the back part of the building when they agreed to wait (and then publicly apologize) and be straight up with the the neighborhood, they may have gotten their GPLET without much opposition and started construction already. They fucked it up themselves by being arrogant. Hopefully, developers who still want to build downtown will have a new understanding of what's required in the downtown core, not rely on GPLETS and build. It can be done.

Last edited by dtnphx; Mar 28, 2017 at 8:56 PM. Reason: Confused with Derby.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2017, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtnphx View Post
I think if Derby owners didn't demolish the back part of the building when they agreed to wait (and then publicly apologize) and be straight up with the the neighborhood, they may have gotten their GPLET without much opposition and started construction already. They fucked it up themselves by being arrogant. Hopefully, developers who still want to build downtown will have a new understanding of what's required in the downtown core, not rely on GPLETS and build. It can be done.
You mean Circles owners right? Agreed. Also, I hope new developers with deep pockets can come in and take over the Derby lot and build a similar project (w/out GPLETs) just to stick it to Englehorn.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2017, 6:07 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtnphx View Post
I think if Derby owners didn't demolish the back part of the building when they agreed to wait (and then publicly apologize) and be straight up with the the neighborhood, they may have gotten their GPLET without much opposition and started construction already. They fucked it up themselves by being arrogant. Hopefully, developers who still want to build downtown will have a new understanding of what's required in the downtown core, not rely on GPLETS and build. It can be done.
That would be Circles...and I mentioned this a couple of weeks ago, I believe the Roosevelt Action Group along with Sherry Rampy came to an agreement with the Circles developers a few months back and gave them the thumbs up with the GPLET and the development.

As for Derby, the city had already granted them a GPLET, so why is the project scrapped when they have already been approved for the GPLET? Could the Derby GPLET have been pulled because of the lawsuit after it was already approved by the city? I was under the impression the lawsuit was geared towards future GPLETs?

Also, I drove through Roosevelt Row last night and Angels Trumpet was either closed or completely empty! There was not a car in the parking lot and I seen no patron activity inside. They obviously do not care about making business and I have a feeling they will close or relocate within a couple of years and we will have lost a GREAT development for nothing.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2017, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
That would be Circles...and I mentioned this a couple of weeks ago, I believe the Roosevelt Action Group along with Sherry Rampy came to an agreement with the Circles developers a few months back and gave them the thumbs up with the GPLET and the development.

As for Derby, the city had already granted them a GPLET, so why is the project scrapped when they have already been approved for the GPLET? Could the Derby GPLET have been pulled because of the lawsuit after it was already approved by the city? I was under the impression the lawsuit was geared towards future GPLETs?

Also, I drove through Roosevelt Row last night and Angels Trumpet was either closed or completely empty! There was not a car in the parking lot and I seen no patron activity inside. They obviously do not care about making business and I have a feeling they will close or relocate within a couple of years and we will have lost a GREAT development for nothing.
Yeah I thought the GIPLT was already approved which is why they were moving until a stay is imposed why would it make sense to halt construction until the lawsuit actually causes the stay, wouldn't it make more sense to ramp up construction so any judge is discouraged from stopping work when the building is already under way?

The lawsuit was just barely filed action wasn't taken that quickly, it doesn't make any sense to me.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2017, 6:28 PM

Quote:
I noticed the same but I checked their hours and they're always closed on Mondays.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2017, 7:39 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by airomero83 View Post
I noticed the same but I checked their hours and they're always closed on Mondays.
Well, that explains a lot, lol.

But they could easily stay open on Monday with the added patrons from Derby if it were built.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2017, 9:57 PM

Quote:

lol chill, they're not open Mondays.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2017, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
lol chill, they're not open Mondays.
Probably could be if 200 apartments filled with paying customers just magically appeared next door. Oh, wait...

Old Posted Mar 28, 2017, 10:49 PM

So you think they're closed one day a week because business sucks? We better tell Chris Bianco and Silvana salcido they could be doing much better. Maybe we could call nobuo fukuda as well, clearly being open seven days a week is the key to success and he's just been lucky.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2017, 11:21 PM

Quote:
So you think they're closed one day a week because business sucks? We better tell Chris Bianco and Silvana salcido they could be doing much better. Maybe we could call nobuo fukuda as well, clearly being open seven days a week is the key to success and he's just been lucky.
It was a joke, but please continue to worship your Roosevelt Row "business magnate" pals. Do me a favor and tell them that there's trash all over the ground outside of their businesses and it's really uninviting. Thanks!

Old Posted Mar 28, 2017, 11:34 PM

I just want to be clear you can say all the bad things you want about someone but at least be logical.

What my friends and acquaintances do about this development is up to them, I don't really agree with all of it but like I said before I don't care enough to get involved. You seem to be taking it personally. You also put business magnate in quotes, I don't remember any of us in this thread using that term, who are you quoting?

Old Posted Mar 31, 2017, 5:05 PM

Old Posted Mar 31, 2017, 5:40 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fawd View Post
I didn't see anything in the article that stated Derby was dead. But based on what Biggus had heard, they couldn't make it pencil out, so I guess it is dead?

I'm still confused. The city already granted the GPLET for Derby months ago. So, wouldn't it be exempt from the new GPLET law since the law is just now going into effect? What about Circles and Block 23 which were also granted GPLETs?

Old Posted Mar 31, 2017, 5:43 PM

Quote:
I didn't see anything in the article that stated Derby was dead. But based on what Biggus had heard, they couldn't make it pencil out, so I guess it is dead?

I'm still confused. The city already granted the GPLET for Derby months ago. So, wouldn't it be exempt from the new GPLET law since the law is just now going into effect? What about Circles and Block 23 which were also granted GPLETs?
That was my question in regards to Circles in the other thread. I know RAA recommended GPLET approval but not sure what the city had decided. Block 23 also had GPLET approved. The new bill better not be retroactive like the shitty BID law was. As for Derby, I'm guessing an emergency injunction was granted and the developer didn't want to deal with a lawsuit and scrapped it.

That's my guess...but I guess we can hope for the project being "on-hold" and a quick resolution happens w/ the lawsuit.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2017, 6:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airomero83 View Post
As for Derby, I'm guessing an emergency injunction was granted and the developer didn't want to deal with a lawsuit and scrapped it.

That's my guess...but I guess we can hope for the project being "on-hold" and a quick resolution happens w/ the lawsuit.
I also think this is what happened, will be really interesting to see what happens with Barrister, Cityscape, Stewart, and anything else in the pipe.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2017, 6:33 PM
Modulator

Quote:
I also think this is what happened, will be really interesting to see what happens with Barrister, Cityscape, Stewart, and anything else in the pipe.
Fortunately, Barrister didn't apply for a GPLET. So at least that should be still a go.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2017, 6:58 PM

Are you positive? I mean, I didn't think any of the apartments on Roosevelt applied for one but it turns out they did.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest