HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

Old Posted Aug 10, 2020, 7:05 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

if thats all they want to do to it then they should save their money, i like it like as is.

it'll be modern, open and overall ok nice, but too bad its not a new tower.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2020, 7:32 PM

I hate this redevelopment. Hope it's eventually knocked down and replaced with something more appropriate for the site.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2020, 8:00 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

i don't hate it as much as its a waste, but it seems like its set up here to not be very permanent.

i predict years of scaffolding, then it comes down for a year or so and looks nice enough, then scaffolding goes right back up for years for a teardown and a new building.

the scaffolding business is the one you want to be in lol.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2020, 1:25 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
if thats all they want to do to it then they should save their money, i like it like as is.

it'll be modern, open and overall ok nice, but too bad its not a new tower.

Too bad it wasn't in midtown east. It'll still probably come down eventually, when there's an inevitable upzoning a decade or two from now. I won't sit around waiting for it though.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2020, 8:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
I have no idea what this means. CPT isn't on the park, the tower was designed around Nordstrom, there was no "original crystalline design" and a hotel wouldn't (and couldn't) have taken the retail base.
Well you were right about the hotel. As for the rest...

Old Posted Sep 27, 2020, 1:07 AM
Show me the blueprints

Yep

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 11:26 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

New Renderings Reveal 39-Story Reclad Of 660 Fifth Avenue, In Midtown

Quote:
YIMBY has a new batch of renderings that depict a full re-cladding of the 39-story 660 Fifth Avenue, a commercial building located between West 52nd Street and West 53rd Street. Designed by Kohn Pedersen Fox and developed by Brookfield Properties, the $400 million project includes a 21st century facelift as well as the renovation of 1.5 million square feet of office space. Work is planned to commence once the ten remaining leases are completed and tenants vacate, some 12 to 18 months from now, as reported in a previous Wall Street Journal story.

The below renderings show the old aluminum façade and glass removed to make way for rectangular floor-to-ceiling windows measuring 11 by 19 feet, the largest single-pane units ever used in a New York City building, according to Brookfield. The renovation also includes revamped landscaped outdoor terraces across several of the lower floors on the bottom half of the tower. The number 660 will be hung on the upper corner of the southern elevation under the flat roof parapet. Overall, this new envelope system will allow a far greater amount of natural light to enter the interior spaces and give office workers better views.

Originally designed by Carson & Lundin and completed in 1957, the mid-century building was addressed as 666 Fifth Avenue. A few years ago the site previously saw a supertall proposal from Zaha Hadid Architects that called for the entire demolition of the structure for a 1,400-foot-tall replacement, though plans for the ambitious slender design never came to fruition. This proposal would have housed condominiums, a hotel, and a shopping mall.

The nearest subway stop is the 5th Avenue-53rd Street station, which is serviced by the E and M trains and located directly across Fifth Avenue on the northern side of the Rolex Building. The B, D, and F trains can be found underneath the nearby Rockefeller Center to the south of the property.

660 Fifth Avenue is predicted to be completed in 2022, as noted on the project’s main website.
===================
NYY

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 2:50 PM

Looks like they've managed to eke out a higher ceilinged space at the top. Meh.

December 12th Edit: The lobby styling has been dismantled. Hopefully it will remain publicly viewable somewhere.

Last edited by Visionist; Dec 12, 2020 at 3:25 PM.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2020, 11:08 PM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2021, 4:57 PM
New Yorker for life

https://nypost.com/2021/01/31/660-fi...eopen-in-2022/

660 Fifth Ave. sheds Satanic address, to reopen next year

By Steve Cuozzo
January 31, 2021

Quote:
The office tower formerly known as 666 Fifth Ave. is putting Satan — and decades of ruinous mismanagement — behind it. Having shed the devilish address for unthreatening 660 Fifth, Brookfield Properties’ 1.5 million square-foot tower between West 52nd and 53rd streets is on track to reopen in 2022 — a year ahead of previous reports.

The $400 million redesign by Kohn Pedersen Fox Associates will make the mostly vacant building unrecognizable except for its basic form. The aluminum-paneled façade, which seemed striking in 1957, is giving way to a new curtain wall of insulated glass panels. Light-flooded, semi-open floors are replacing warrens of old-fashioned, walled offices.
Quote:
Four terraces will provide tenants with outdoor space, including one overlooking St. Patrick’s Cathedral. The upgrades also include all-new mechanical systems, mullion-free, 200 square-foot windows, a new West 52nd Street lobby, reconfigured retail on side streets, taller ceilings on some floors, and a direct outside air supply system to bring in 50 percent more fresh air.

The air inside 666 was anything but fresh. Cigar fumes from the top-floor Grand Havana Club smoking venue permeated hallways, offices — and even the ground-floor lobby when Realty Check popped in a few years ago.The Grand Havana, like other former tenants, is gone. “You can’t lease with cigar smoke,” chuckled Sabrina Kanner, Brookfield’s head of development, design and construction.

Although the smoke’s cleared, could the club’s long-ago top-floor predecessor, restaurant Top of the Sixes, make a comeback?

“Who knows?” Kanner said when we asked if it was a possibility. “We had issues with the cigar bar.”
Quote:
Of course, even for mighty Brookfield, re-filling an entire office tower poses a daunting challenge in a time of commercial retrenchment and unprecedented fear. The tower faces competition from first-class space still available at other new projects including at SL Green’s One Vanderbilt, L&L Holding Co.’s 425 Park Ave., Tishman Speyer’s Spiral, and Brookfield’s own Two Manhattan West in the Hudson Yards area.

Kanner noted, “Yes, Two Manhattan West has a lot of space left, but they are very different products with different appeals.”

Neither Kanner nor anyone else at Brookfield would discuss rents. Midtown brokerage sources said they expected the “ask” to be in the low $100s per square foot in lower floors of 78,000 square feet and north of $200 psf in smaller, “specialty floors” near the top.

Besides an in-house team of Jeremiah Larkin, Duncan McCuaig and Mikael Nahmias, Brookfield has tapped Cushman & Wakefield heavy-hitters Bruce Mosler, Josh Kuriloff and Robert Lowe to reel in tenants.

Kanner, like others in her position, foresees an eventual return to the workplace.

“We see pent-up demand to come back to offices,” she said.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 10:02 AM

I wonder at what stage deconstruction would have been by now if Hadid's proposal hadn't been cancelled. A few "when does this get moved to the UC forum?" posts I bet.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 1:50 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visionist View Post
I wonder at what stage deconstruction would have been by now if Hadid's proposal hadn't been cancelled. A few "when does this get moved to the UC forum?" posts I bet.
Probably. I don't remember the exact timeline on that, but there would be movement on the proposal. Steve Roth at Vornado says his Park Avenue and Penn Plaza sites are the best locations in the city for development. But this is a pretty good site, if only it could be upzoned for even just a half million sq feet more.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 2:20 PM

WTF - I have not been following this one for awhile, but what happened to

Image - https://cdn.skyrisecities.com

Like seriously, wtf happened?

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 2:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visionist View Post
[/IMG]
Is there a thread for this cool cat? Sorry - I'm so out of the loop.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. View Post
Is there a thread for this cool cat? Sorry - I'm so out of the loop.
This was Central Park Tower at one point, but it was soon changed to the design we see today. I wasn't active on the forum back then so I don't know what made Barnett change his mind.

It's a pity either way.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2021, 12:08 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Feb 4, 2021, 6:27 AM
Crane Goddess

It's too bad they're ditching the 666 address, I always thought it was hilarious, especially being right down the street from St Pat's Cathedral.
"Prayers are fleeting and wars are forgotten, but what is built endures"
-Ambassador DeLenn, Babylon 5

Old Posted Feb 4, 2021, 6:23 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanita View Post
It's too bad they're ditching the 666 address, I always thought it was hilarious, especially being right down the street from St Pat's Cathedral.
They should have ditched the entire building if they really want a fresh start.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2021, 11:31 AM
New Yorker for life

JUNE 12, 2021

Old Posted Jun 19, 2021, 1:34 PM
I like Skyscrapers 🏙

Dang. That building looks like it having surgery lol.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction