HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Dec 21, 2020, 9:41 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyMucho View Post
Bonus shot for context—looking east from the same spot (with Serif shown).

Serif is turning out quite handsomely. Very clean, high quality facade. Has that European aesthetic and scale.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2020, 4:08 PM

^^ Agreed. I love how wide the windows are and that they're floor to ceiling too. Great addition to Market and makes me feel more safe around Warfield

Old Posted Jan 10, 2021, 11:41 PM
heavy user of walkability

Last edited by timbad; Jan 10, 2021 at 11:46 PM. Reason: correct last pic

Old Posted Feb 11, 2021, 9:39 AM

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 11:43 PM

the 'back' side along Jones

Market St side, with former 1066 Market

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 12:19 AM
你的媽媽

Wow! This actually turned out quite nice. Excellent scale/massing, and a high quality, modern facade.

Old Posted May 10, 2021, 8:34 PM

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 5:20 AM

I think that turned out pretty well actually! Thanks for the shots timbad

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitty View Post
I think that turned out pretty well actually! Thanks for the shots timbad
happy to do it, and yes, agree this looks pretty good, and now comes the test to see whether the character of the block changes noticeably

I'd be happy if Show Dogs came back to that corner in the second pic and was more successful this time

Old Posted May 22, 2021, 9:36 PM

For some reason 55 Jones never got its own thread so I'll continue the tradition of posting its stuff here. At least once a week I find myself walking up Golden Gate past the back side of these projects and wondering why anybody would pay the sort of rent I'm guessing they'll have to charge to live in THAT neighborhood:

This is right across the street on Jones:

Looking down Golden Gate:

They keep their side of the street pretty clean and safe with security guards standing out on the corner (but that costs serious money, added, no doubt, to the rent).

Old Posted May 24, 2021, 2:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
For some reason 55 Jones never got its own thread so I'll continue the tradition of posting its stuff here. At least once a week I find myself walking up Golden Gate past the back side of these projects and wondering why anybody would pay the sort of rent I'm guessing they'll have to charge to live in THAT neighborhood:

This is right across the street on Jones:

Looking down Golden Gate:

They keep their side of the street pretty clean and safe with security guards standing out on the corner (but that costs serious money, added, no doubt, to the rent).

So, I left San Francisco 13 years ago and check this page periodically to see what changes are happening. The image with the cement blocks and the tents and shanty town looking structures and what looks to be thirty homeless people, is this San Francisco now?

When I left there were issues, always have been but not like this. Why is this OK? It can't be beneficiary, safe or healthy to allow human beings to live like this? Are there restrooms provided for all of these people?

Is this because of Covid? The mayor is OK with this? I don't want SF to be like NYC but this is like walking into a hoarders house. It's not safe for anyone to live like this.

And what about the residents of those buildings they are blocking? They have to walk through this mass of people? How safe can that be? And if you're a business you just have to accept this in front of your restaurant, etc?

I'm a progressive Democrat, I'd vote out every single person in charge of governing this city. No excuses for this.

Old Posted May 24, 2021, 2:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluntcard View Post
So, I left San Francisco 13 years ago and check this page periodically to see what changes are happening. The image with the cement blocks and the tents and shanty town looking structures and what looks to be thirty homeless people, is this San Francisco now?

When I left there were issues, always have been but not like this. Why is this OK? It can't be beneficiary, safe or healthy to allow human beings to live like this? Are there restrooms provided for all of these people?

Is this because of Covid? The mayor is OK with this? I don't want SF to be like NYC but this is like walking into a hoarders house. It's not safe for anyone to live like this.

And what about the residents of those buildings they are blocking? They have to walk through this mass of people? How safe can that be? And if you're a business you just have to accept this in front of your restaurant, etc?

I'm a progressive Democrat, I'd vote out every single person in charge of governing this city. No excuses for this.
Probably not the place to have a lengthy discussion of the subject but yes, it's partly related to covid in that the city took the CDC's advice and closed its large-scale shelters where many people were given a cot in one room. The CDC opined it was less risky to let them camp out in tent cities than in one large room (one Supervisor even had his office pass out tents). The city has attempted to replace the shelters with rooms in hotels that were emptied out of their normal tourists (some hoteliers were willing to rent rooms for this purpose rather than leave their rooms empty) but the numbers are simply overwhelming.

From my observation, somehow the homeless have also been concentrated in a few blocks of the Tenderloin along Golden Gate, Turk and Eddy Sts and this project happens to sit in one such area. It happens that St. Anthony's Dining Room, a major "feed the homeless" site, is just up the street and there are numerous other homeless-related services in the area so I'm not sure if they are simply attracted to these blocks or what but it has to impact the development projects as I'm suggesting.

Again regarding covid, you have to give San Francisco credit in somehow NOT letting the combination of its large homeless population and the pandemic turn into disaster. I noted elsewhere in the last couple of days that San Francisco General Hospital, the hospital where the homeless are admitted when they need to be, had ZERO covid patients . . . NONE. It hasn't gotten much publicity but there must have been massive outreach to get them vaccinated or something. About 65% of adults living in the Tenderloin, whether or not they have a "fixed address", have now been vaccinated ( https://data.sfgov.org/stories/s/COV...aps/uue2-6gdn/ ).

Old Posted May 24, 2021, 3:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
Probably not the place to have a lengthy discussion of the subject but yes, it's partly related to covid in that the city took the CDC's advice and closed its large-scale shelters where many people were given a cot in one room. The CDC opined it was less risky to let them camp out in tent cities than in one large room (one Supervisor even had his office pass out tents). The city has attempted to replace the shelters with rooms in hotels that were emptied out of their normal tourists (some hoteliers were willing to rent rooms for this purpose rather than leave their rooms empty) but the numbers are simply overwhelming.

From my observation, somehow the homeless have also been concentrated in a few blocks of the Tenderloin along Golden Gate, Turk and Eddy Sts and this project happens to sit in one such area. It happens that St. Anthony's Dining Room, a major "feed the homeless" site, is just up the street and there are numerous other homeless-related services in the area so I'm not sure if they are simply attracted to these blocks or what but it has to impact the development projects as I'm suggesting.

Again regarding covid, you have to give San Francisco credit in somehow NOT letting the combination of its large homeless population and the pandemic turn into disaster. I noted elsewhere in the last couple of days that San Francisco General Hospital, the hospital where the homeless are admitted when they need to be, had ZERO covid patients . . . NONE. It hasn't gotten much publicity but there must have been massive outreach to get them vaccinated or something. About 65% of adults living in the Tenderloin, whether or not they have a "fixed address", have now been vaccinated ( https://data.sfgov.org/stories/s/COV...aps/uue2-6gdn/ ).
Thank you for replying, it actually makes me feel much better now that I understand what's going on and I feel like a bit of a jerk.

Old Posted May 24, 2021, 7:55 AM

^^Interestingly, this news, which I think will also affect the success of both these projects (1028 Market and 55 Jones), came to me in the SF Business Times just today. It's even possible that these projects, the imminent completion of the 4th and final section of Trinity Plaza, the resurrection of 6X6 and the post-pandemic reopening of several tourist hotels completed not that long before the pandemic hit (Yotel and Propper) had something to do with fostering another effort at "fixing" Mid-Market:

Quote:
Mid-Market has long been a dirty, drug-ridden corridor. The city will spend millions to fix that
By Alex Barreira – Staff Reporter, San Francisco Business Times
May 18, 2021 Updated May 18, 2021, 11:54am PDT

San Francisco wants to clean up Mid-Market. Again.

Mayor London Breed unveiled a “vibrancy and safety plan” Tuesday aimed at making the pandemic-ravaged Mid-Market corridor — which has battled a reputation for street crime and drug use that long predates Covid-19 — safer, cleaner and more accessible to residents, businesses and visitors. It's a goal that has largely been defeated in previous clean up efforts.

The new program will feature increased police presence and "community ambassadors" supplied by a local nonprofit, Urban Alchemy, on Market Street and nearby blocks between Fifth Street and Eighth Street. That covers the area between the Powell Street and Civic Center BART stations.

The city will initially fund the police patrols and ambassadors with existing resources. Breed will propose $5 million in her upcoming budget to support the program long-term, and the UC Hastings College of Law, located in the neighborhood, secured more than $3 million over three years in state funding to fund the services provided by Urban Alchemy.

A spokesperson for the mayor said private funding is still being secured and declined to specify the amount or source.

The increased police presence will begin immediately, featuring more foot, motorcycle, bicycle and horseback deployments in Mid-Market, United Nations Plaza and the Tenderloin . . . .

Urban Alchemy ambassadors will be stationed on every block for up to 12 hours each day starting June 15th. Their duties will include engaging with residents and visitors, connecting people in need with city services, addressing safety issues and supporting cleanliness in the area. They'll work in tandem with other city initiatives supporting similar aims, such as the Healthy Streets Operation Center and the new Street Response Teams . . . .

Concerns about the safety in the area — whether exaggerated or not, as some retail commercial real estate brokers contend — have held back retail developments along the corridor. The 6x6 mall at 950 Market St. struggled to attract tenants and has sat empty since it was completed in 2017, cycling through several owners, while major retailers including Gap have permanently shuttered their stores in the area.

With the expected arrival of the Ikea anchor to 6x6 by the end of the year, a $380 million mixed-use hotel and retail project across the street and a 55,000-square-foot Whole Foods in the pipeline, brokers have expressed optimism the corridor’s best days are finally around the corner.

Urban Alchemy, which has operated in the Tenderloin and Mid-Market areas for the last three years, says it is uniquely suited for outreach because its ambassadors are people who have experienced long-term incarceration and homelessness . . . .
https://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranc...bassadors.html

In my walks through the area I've noticed the increased police presence although so far it has disappointingly consisted of police sitting in their squad cars whereas IMHO it needs to be more of what's described: Police walking beats, mixing with the crowds and patrolling constantly.

I also think I saw some of these Urban Alchemy folks walking around on Saturday right near the Golden Gate side of these projects which I'm sure is part of what's described as "nearby blocks".

Old Posted Jun 7, 2021, 2:00 AM

Old Posted Jun 20, 2021, 4:46 AM
你的媽媽

Old Posted Jun 28, 2021, 8:35 AM

Old Posted Aug 31, 2021, 7:39 AM

this one's still fenced off too

Old Posted Sep 2, 2021, 1:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluntcard View Post

I’m sorry but nyc is not nearly as bad as San Francisco. Perhaps because we don’t elect extremist here…

Old Posted Oct 24, 2021, 9:20 AM

not much difference here, tho I noted the sidewalk across the street was mostly clear today

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive