HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 8, 2022, 8:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAUrbanist View Post
I hope that parking lot across the street from the oceanwide plaza is redeveloped with a tower.
i like how even with such a solid cluster at South Park, there is still so much more space to develop.

Old Posted May 8, 2022, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
I was there at 630 and concur.
It almost felt pretty covid in a way.
I know one reason why there were lots of people out on Broadway last night--the ongoing Netflix is a Joke comedy festival is booking the Palace Theater. One of my favorite stand-up comics, Andrew Santino, played there last night. I suspect a few other downtown venues were also booked--the place was humming.

Old Posted May 9, 2022, 12:00 AM
Paramoderator

Once again, personal attacks will not be tolerated. This is site policy and site policy will be enforced.

Old Posted May 9, 2022, 1:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
I know one reason why there were lots of people out on Broadway last night--the ongoing Netflix is a Joke comedy festival is booking the Palace Theater. One of my favorite stand-up comics, Andrew Santino, played there last night. I suspect a few other downtown venues were also booked--the place was humming.
I thought it was mostly due to a covention.

Old Posted May 9, 2022, 1:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
I thought it was mostly due to a convention.
Sure, I can buy that. What was the convention? In any case, I'll say that last night at 7:30 p.m. on that particular block of Broadway, I think it was more likely the Palace Theater gig activating the sidewalk, but there's no way to say for sure.

Old Posted May 9, 2022, 2:06 AM

Someone climbed up a tower in Detroit too...

Perhaps coordinated?

https://www.wxyz.com/news/video-pers...nter-on-sunday

Old Posted May 9, 2022, 2:34 AM

Quote:
Sure, I can buy that. What was the convention? In any case, I'll say that last night at 7:30 p.m. on that particular block of Broadway, I think it was more likely the Palace Theater gig activating the sidewalk, but there's no way to say for sure.
Oh, I don't know lol. I was just going off the crowds around LA Live. I could be wrong.

Old Posted May 9, 2022, 4:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
Someone climbed up a tower in Detroit too...

Perhaps coordinated?

https://www.wxyz.com/news/video-pers...nter-on-sunday
Wrong thread.

Old Posted May 9, 2022, 4:23 PM

Before things like this existed, the DWP bldg was pretty much all by itself...there were the Bunker hill apt towers across the street, the Music Ctr, but not too much else. Since fewer ppl & things were around there back then, not sure if the DWP was less likely to keep its bldg in working shape. Now in 2022? Okay, there's a drought...& local govnt is pushing ppl to wear masks again, at least if they're on transit.

Video Link

Video Link

Ppl going to restaurants & events at places like disney hall have to show proof of vaccination. The pandemic hurt dtla, so now is the drought going to be a downer in another way? The fountains of the dwp bldg & most of the main part of the fountain in grand pk have been dry for months...

Around 5:55...

Video Link

Video Link

Rush hour traffic has hurt concerts, theater & other events held in dtla, so I hope places like Disney hall organize group trips on the red line the way they do with buses for ppl going to the Hollywood Bowl. For safety & interest, certain ppl tend to like to travel in large groups & with shared company.

The connector line station near the Broad museum & the extension of the subway down Wilshire can't open a second too soon.

As for the nearby Cathedral of our Lady, ignore the commotion in this vid....interesting to see the level of turnout at a church service....

https://twitter.com/Romangod7/status...68533119234048

Old Posted May 9, 2022, 7:05 PM

^ strike that...it's now the purple line, not the red line.

Quote:
For the modern era, this is a huge investment in rail transportation on the scale rarely seen in recent memory,” said Jacob Wasserman, research project manager at the UCLA Institute of Transportation Studies. “You have to go back to the 1970s and the buildout of the Metro rail system in Washington, D.C., and the Bart system in the Bay Area to see anything comparable.”

METRO PURPLE (D) LINE EXTENSION
(Includes three separate segments)
COST: Segment 1: $3.13 billion; Segment 2: $2.44 billion; Segment 3: $3.22 billion,
for total of $8.79 billion

TYPE OF PROJECT: Subway

LENGTH: Segment 1: 3.92 miles under Wilshire Boulevard between Western Avenue in Koreatown and La Cienega Boulevard in Beverly Hills; Segment 2: 2.59 miles between La Cienega Boulevard and Constellation Avenue in Century City; Segment 3: 2.56 miles between Century City and the West L.A. VA Medical Center. Total of 9.07 miles.

NUMBER OF STATIONS: Seven new stations and one existing station (Wilshire/Western)

PROJECTED OPENINGS: Segment 1: 2024; Segment 2: 2025; Segment 3: 2027

STATUS: According to the Metro October project status report: Segment 1: construction is 72% complete; Segment 2: construction is 46% complete; Segment 3: construction is 28% complete.

^ I recall when a underground blast from leaking methane gas from the tar pits hit a store in mid Wilshire & the idea of continuing the subway was legally cancelled. Too bad a basic improvement like that was delayed for so many yrs.

EDIT: Going to DTLA....to places like Disney hall....for ppl from the important western parts of LA has been increasingly seen as a nuisance due to all the congestion on fwys leading to it. Not sure exactly how much slower the extension of the subway west of Western Ave became because of that methane explosion. But not a second too soon...

Video Link

I noticed the MTA just posted this PR vid today...

Video Link

Last edited by citywatch; May 9, 2022 at 9:25 PM.

Old Posted May 9, 2022, 7:59 PM

Question Scandal Limbo ?

So.....Since this whole scandal turned our jolly little hearts upside down. We've all come to the definitive conclusion that Shenzen won't be building anything related to what we were expecting...... (new Tallest and if I remember correctly, they owned the Luxe site)..... So that being said..... They just get to sit and squat on those properties until further notice or will the city force them to sell? I know the Luxe was already moving through the approval process (even though the last smaller scaled down version was a big MEH), maybe they can sell the Luxe already entitled and the LA hotel as pending entitlements ? Carmel Partners gets to restart their tower, i was hoping the same could happen for the others. After a fine and fee ofcourse.

Old Posted May 9, 2022, 10:57 PM

From LA Reddit, a sweet downtown aerial showing the Beaudry as well as 8th and Fig starting to pop up into the skyline:

Old Posted May 9, 2022, 11:00 PM

Work is progressing nicely at Onni's Olympic & Hill

And some interesting new for sale signs I hadn't noticed in previous walks around the neighborhood.

Immediately next to the Onni site, an older brick building seems to be predicting what we now know to be true... yes a neighboring residential hi-rise is coming! Would be great to see this one store building redeveloped.

Across the street, at Olympic and Broadway is a plot for sale that is already entitled for 163 units. Anyone know which proposal is for this plot?

Old Posted May 9, 2022, 11:19 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

^ Olympic & Broadway, if I am not mistaken, was the site of a former Barry Shy-proposed ground up 12 or 13 story development. But would not expect that to go very far until someone else scoops it up. Barry doesn't have a great track record for building new buildings.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted May 9, 2022, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAisthePlace View Post
Across the street, at Olympic and Broadway is a plot for sale that is already entitled for 163 units. Anyone know which proposal is for this plot?

That was in the news just a few wks ago....it's a part of a set of proposals that notorious devlpr/landowner Barry shy has long been planning to build. Bldgs that I've long wanted to see break ground, particularly on the parking lot across from the PE lofts bldg on Main St.

Not sure why he could never get banks to loan him money for those projs....maybe his reputation really was/is bad bad? If not, with investors very nervous in today's economy, I wish he had managed to build the towers himself.

theregistrysocal.com

Quote:
After receiving full entitlements several years ago, three multifamily high-rise development sites have been placed on the market. The properties, which have been listed by CBRE as unpriced, would allow a new developer the chance to build up to a combined 854 residential units and more than 33,591 square feet of commercial space in downtown Los Angeles.

The properties have all been entitled by local developer Barry Shy and can be purchased as a portfolio or individually. The project sites, which call for 100 percent market rate units, are located at 957 South Broadway, 920 South Hill Street and 601 South Main Street. While all properties are listed as unpriced, the offering document shows that similar land sales in the last five years have sold for around $600 per square foot.

The Broadway project site would be situated on nearly half an acre and would consist of a 15-story building with 163 residential units and 6,406 square feet of commercial space. In total, the project would encompass a floor area of 190,000 square feet, consisting of 99 one-bedroom units and 64 two-bedroom units.

Old Posted May 9, 2022, 11:54 PM

^^^ Well....at least Hes not squatting on the sites like other developers do, holding progress hostage. I forgot the names of the other two that followed the same routine as Barry. Grand but doable proposal. Start the entitlement process......then crickets.

Old Posted May 10, 2022, 3:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligrad View Post
^^^ Well....at least Hes not squatting on the sites like other developers do, holding progress hostage. I forgot the names of the other two that followed the same routine as Barry. Grand but doable proposal. Start the entitlement process......then crickets.
ahem... Chetrit

Old Posted May 10, 2022, 3:49 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

^ hugh, you beat me to it. Chetrit, at least in LA, has been public enemy #1 in sitting on downtown sites and doing nothing with them. In NY and Miami, they are very active.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted May 10, 2022, 4:42 AM

Speaking of cherit, I don't want land collecting property owners in dtla & apathetic LA city govnt to undermine signs of promise like this...

Video Link

There's one bldg owner on Broadway from australia who has controlled the roxie theater for decades. He has allowed that bldg to rot away for yrs. Absentee owners...or slumlords...are the worst.

afterthefinalcurtain,files

afterthefinalcurtain,files

https://afterthefinalcurtain.net/201...los-angeles-ca

Here's a place with supertalls & no dtla type deadzones....

https://youtu.be/8XviV46yk_o

But that doesn't mean I'd rather be there then a place that's closer to dtla. This street...which the guy in NYC mentions at the start of his vid....in comparison has mainly short 1 to 2 floor bldgs, but it competes with dtla for ppl's time, dollars & attention....even more so when the Purple Line opens a stop in Beverly hills.

https://youtu.be/vId82S72qpc

btw, I've just found out that this bldg on Rodeo Dr was designed by Frank Lloyd wright....not the son, but by Frank....I know this is a dtla thread, but that aspect of a street several miles to the west of dtla I've never known about before, so I thought it would be ok to slot an image of it here...

losangelesexplorersguild

I've read about how certain ppl from the northeast, such as around NYC, are relocating to the southeast, around Miami Bch. Taxes, govnt, homelessness & quakes notwithstanding, I think LA is a better blend of the two type of places. If devlprs in dtla can keep eliminating the gaps of its past, then LA will have a bit more of the best of both worlds.

I watched a vid from 2021 of the upscale bal harbor area of miami...that & Worth Ave in Palm bch (over 70 miles north of Miami) are Fla's version of Rodeo...& the person said certain apts near Bal Harbor have rents starting around $1,700. Way different economics...The economics of nyc are putting pressure on areas like Madison Ave, which I read was seeing more retail vacancies even before covid hit. But think of all the vacant space that has existed in dtla for over 50 yrs...like the floors in many of the bldgs along Broadway or Spring St. There's still the vacant Garfield bldg across from Shake Shake near 8th at Hill St. So devlprs in dtla continue to need to fill in the gaps.

This is from 13 yrs ago, before the nearby Commercial exchange bldg had been converted to the freehand hotel. Back then, 2 major properties on that short strech of 8th St were abandoned. That's why dtla in the not distant past was taking on the vibe of a rust belt city. But over a decade later, & the ppl checking out the Garfield back in 2009 apparently didn't bite.

Video Link

Always good to remember that no center of a major urban area in the world was as affected by as much grit & decline as dtla was, particularly areas like broadway, Spring St & skid row. So it's a good test to see how far down a city will go before it can revive itself. iow, if you can make it there, you can make it anywhere. Don't take good things for granted.

Video Link

Certain cities in the US have built more tall bldgs over the past 10 yrs, places like, as mentioned above, Miami Bch. But while a Miami or Atlanta doesn't have the grit & grime that dtla has, such towns also don't have as much an older layer to build upon...properties like the Garfield. Things like that are what make dtla more interesting to me.

When I watch a variety of vids like these, I better understand how dtla is just one piece of the puzzle...LA works as a combination of multiple parts...in the past, dtla was lagging among those parts. Now it's adding more balance to the overall picture. It has long needed to pull more of its fair share of Socal's weight, which it's starting to do.

https://www.youtube.com/c/JSOCAL1/videos

Old Posted May 10, 2022, 5:32 AM

Quote:
From LA Reddit, a sweet downtown aerial showing the Beaudry as well as 8th and Fig starting to pop up into the skyline:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations