HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 6, 2022, 3:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorboffin View Post
It’s the old version of the project on the sign. The Relevant group filed new plans last year for a new project on that site, which is the one you’re thinking of.

https://la.urbanize.city/post/releva...ial-tower-dtla
Thanks. I do recall that timeline now. I was disappointed that Relevant would sell so quickly but instead they haven't taken down the sign or perhaps the sale hasn't finalized.

Old Posted May 6, 2022, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy View Post
Thanks. I do recall that timeline now. I was disappointed that Relevant would sell so quickly but instead they haven't taken down the sign or perhaps the sale hasn't finalized.
As of March 2022, the sale of the site was still in escrow.

*Send PM for updates/edits/corrections*

Old Posted May 6, 2022, 5:50 PM

I've always been bothered that dtla has been at a disadvantage in attracting businesses & office workers.....they've generally preferred areas further west, in the OC, Pasadena-glendale or other cities in the US. But the pandemic has changed the equation for cities all over the country.

Office vacancies in dtla have long been too high to encourage new devlpt...creating new office highrises is appealing to builders because they can get a better rate of return on that type of investment. Instead, property owners in dtla have been forced to convert more bldgs from office to residence.

Covid still has put a crunch on dtla, but it would be a bit worse if were as dependent on office users & office workers as certain other cities are.

The Onni proj at Hill St & Olympic & the two apt bldgs near Fig & 8th St give me hope that the curse of dtla's past may become its saving grace in the future.

Quote:

bizjournals.com

In some downtown business districts, 70% to 80% of all real estate is dedicated to office space, according to a New York Times analysis with CoStar, a company that tracks real estate down to the individual building. That means there are few residents to support restaurants at night or to keep lunch counters open if office workers stay away, and few reasons for visitors to spend time or money there on the weekend.

And it means that a city’s downtown tax base relies heavily on office property values, that streets grow quiet when workers head home, and that the most central and accessible part of the city — also often the hub of a transit system — is little used much of the time. Such is the case in parts of the San Francisco and Boston financial districts, and in stretches of downtown Washington and the Chicago Loop, where offices command the vast share of all real estate

There's a brief shot in this vid of the new apt tower at 7th & Fig. The car wash on Olympic is closed....don't know when it will be torn down. DTLA has gaps that a city like SF or Seattle doesn't, but something about it to me still comes off as more promising or more interesting. I don't think I'm being mainly a homer either.

Video Link

Old Posted May 6, 2022, 6:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dktshb View Post
Living in SF I am not able to frequent downtown as often anymore. I was curious if the conversion on 7th and Hill is complete and if or whether or not the Korean Grocery is still going in on 7th and Olive as well as the fate of the NoMad.
Nothing really on either. Every once in a while you see very minor activity in the 7th & Olive location but no work in earnest. Hearsay was that earlier this year work was "restarting" but I have yet to see any real evidence of that.

As far as NoMad, it remains closed but they haven't removed it from their list of projects and continue to have job listings that reference it, so I guess 50/50?

The slowest part of DTLA to bounce back has been financial district, and just in the last month it's seen a huge increase in activity from office workers that are coming back. A cute anecdote is that the smoothie bar in the Equinox gym just reopened last week after being closed through all of 2020/2021, lol.

Old Posted May 6, 2022, 7:11 PM

It's so interesting to see how this area is finally getting dense.

Old Posted May 6, 2022, 8:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scania View Post
Your pleasure of life is to try to make other lives as miserable as yours.
LA city & county govnts did the lockdowns in 2020-2021, which didn't help dtla....now I'm guessing their next step is in response to the drought.

https://youtu.be/AufnxCg4O1M

I've been hoping the fountains in sections of dt were just being rehabbed or cleaned, but maybe not.

I've read that the fountain in front of what used to be the New otani hotel....now a doubletree....in Little Tokyo had its piping yrs ago became so damaged that water can no longer run through it. So that is a case of maintenance. The past & current owners of the hotel apparently haven't wanted to spend money to repair it.

Old Posted May 6, 2022, 8:59 PM

Popped over to the Arts District today on my lunch break (dined at the excellent Ditroit), but made sure to take a peek at a couple projects rising in the neighborhood.

The worksite at Alloy (fka 520 Mateo) - https://www.scb.com/project/alloy/ - is both very active and truly massive. I wasn't around Downtown for when Oceanwide, Metropolis, Wilshire Grand all were at this point, but this seemed much bigger of a site than I had been imaginging.

When done it'll be 475 live/work apartments, 105K square feet of offices and 20k square feet of commercial. Will have a huge impact on the neighborhood.

A couple of blocks away is the almost finished 2130 E. Violet which will result in 113K of office space and retail.

While the above grade podium is objectively horrible, the materials + finish on the office portion look great (concrete, steel, etc).

Wasn't able to take a pic, but Produce LA looked better than I was expecting with quite a lot of landscaping. Will be even better when 14 story addition replaces the surface parking lot - https://la.urbanize.city/post/14-sto...-clears-hurdle

Old Posted May 6, 2022, 10:27 PM

^ I'm really glad that part of dt is becoming increasingly stable & competitive. It's just on the other side of little tokyo, which itself was iffy several yrs ago. I recall when this block, in the shadow of city hall, was nothing but parking lots....that was a time when visitors to LA....daytrippers & tourists....generally bypassed dt. Now with the new MTA connector line, the nearby arts dist & other new devlopt, more of the pieces of the puzzle are falling into place.

google.com

This vid posted yesterday made me curious enough to do a google search of where the business exactly is....it's great that an ideal tenant is occupying the ground floor of one of the newer apt bldgs in this part of dtla.

Video Link

Old Posted May 7, 2022, 1:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojeda101 View Post
It's so interesting to see how this area is finally getting dense.
Thanks for posting those pics! Downtown LA keeps filling in and growing up.

Old Posted May 7, 2022, 1:41 AM

I'd think the owner, even if struggling with debts & liens, would have secured this proj better. Or were the security guards, if any, sleeping on the job? BTW, the reporter still is using the old name of the nearby basketball arena. lol

Video Link

Old Posted May 7, 2022, 2:45 AM
Environmental Sabotage

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmkef View Post
Nothing really on either. Every once in a while you see very minor activity in the 7th & Olive location but no work in earnest. Hearsay was that earlier this year work was "restarting" but I have yet to see any real evidence of that.

As far as NoMad, it remains closed but they haven't removed it from their list of projects and continue to have job listings that reference it, so I guess 50/50?

The slowest part of DTLA to bounce back has been financial district, and just in the last month it's seen a huge increase in activity from office workers that are coming back. A cute anecdote is that the smoothie bar in the Equinox gym just reopened last week after being closed through all of 2020/2021, lol.
I appreciate the update. Sorry to hear all of these are still in limbo. It would make such a difference on 7th street when if all these are up and running.

Old Posted May 7, 2022, 2:48 AM
Environmental Sabotage

Mojeda101;9618772]It's so interesting to see how this area is finally getting dense.

And dense with new residential, which is really good for that area. Downtown is growing with residential pretty much in all corners nooks and crannies.

Old Posted May 7, 2022, 3:46 AM

From LA Reddit:

Old Posted May 7, 2022, 7:29 AM

Anybody willing to give us an update on the Lucas musem this weekend? It's been a while I feel.

Old Posted May 7, 2022, 2:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligrad View Post
Anybody willing to give us an update on the Lucas musem this weekend? It's been a while I feel.
This was from 3 months ago.

Video Link

*Send PM for updates/edits/corrections*

Old Posted May 8, 2022, 2:34 AM

Went to downtown today, and Brookfield Tower and 8th and Figueroa are making a great impact in person.
I recommend to visit.

Also, it seems LA Live is doing better, so that's good to see.

Old Posted May 8, 2022, 4:37 AM

I passed through downtown today and snapped this (low quality-sorry) pic of the Orpheum sign lit up:

Old Posted May 8, 2022, 4:37 AM

Oh--and at around 7:30 to 7:45 p.m. this evening there were tons of people out on the streets downtown.

Old Posted May 8, 2022, 9:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
Oh--and at around 7:30 to 7:45 p.m. this evening there were tons of people out on the streets downtown.
I was there at 630 and concur.
It almost felt pretty covid in a way.

Old Posted May 8, 2022, 7:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citywatch View Post
I'd think the owner, even if struggling with debts & liens, would have secured this proj better. Or were the security guards, if any, sleeping on the job? BTW, the reporter still is using the old name of the nearby basketball arena. lol

Video Link
I hope that parking lot across the street from the oceanwide plaza is redeveloped with a tower.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations