HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 25, 2022, 5:32 AM

One injured in fire at downtown L.A. high rise building

Nouran Salahieh
KTLA 5
January 24, 2022

Firefighters extinguished a fire that broke out on the ground floor of a multi-story building in downtown Los Angeles Monday morning.

The fire erupted shortly before 8:30 a.m. at 255 S. Grand Ave., inside a restaurant that had been undergoing renovation, according to the Los Angeles Fire Department.

Fire officials said they received unconfirmed reports of a possible explosion in the kitchen.

The flames were contained to the restaurant, but smoke traveled up through the building and was seen faintly billowing out the top.

There were reports of people stuck in the elevators of the 27-floor high rise.

“While this is at a Major Emergency status, the fire is extinguished and the incident is in the search and rescue phase,” LAFD said around 8:50 a.m.

Firefighters were recalling all elevators in the building and looking for anyone who may be stuck.

About 60 people ended up getting evacuated from the high rise, which has 391 residential units home to more than 700 people, according to the Fire Department.

One person with burn injuries was rescued from inside the restaurant and taken to a hospital. The person, whose condition was unknown, had been working on the restaurant renovation.

Another person, a woman, was also taken as a precaution due to smoke exposure, officials said.

At some point, officials said they were concerned about evacuations, since the building is large and has many occupants.

Arson investigators were called to the scene.

Officials said the fire will significantly impact traffic, and asked residents to avoid the area.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
Subway?

Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 3:39 AM

AEG to sell stake in L.A. Live hotels as the lodging industry recovers

An aerial view of the Ritz-Carlton and Marriott hotels in downtown Los Angeles during a lighting ceremony in 2010.(Wally Skalij / Los Angeles Times)

Roger Vincent
Los Angeles Times
January 24, 2022

Entertainment giant AEG plans to raise hundreds of millions of dollars to help fund a planned expansion of the L.A. Live hospitality complex in downtown Los Angeles by selling part ownership in the Ritz-Carlton and JW Marriott hotels there.

AEG said Monday that it hopes to take advantage of a recent rebound in hotel prices and find an investor who wants a big piece of the primary hotels for one of the country’s busiest venues for sports, music and other entertainment events.

AEG completed the hotels in 2010 at a cost of about $1 billion. Its leaders are willing to sell more than a 50% ownership stake, which would give the new owner control of the property where Marriott International Inc. manages two of its top brands, Ritz-Carlton and JW Marriott, in joined buildings with a combined 1,001 rooms and 134,000 square feet of meeting space.

AEG is looking for a partner with deep experience in the hotel industry, Vice Chairman Ted Fikre said. “Hotel operation is not our core business.”

Money raised by the sale will be used to help pay for a long-planned expansion of the JW Marriott that was stalled by the pandemic, he said, and to invest in several of AEG’s business units, including ticketing and live entertainment such as music festivals and concert tours. The company owns, manages or consults with stadiums, arenas and convention centers in several countries, including China, Germany and Britain.

In 2018, AEG proposed a $700-million addition to the hotel complex to include a 37-story hotel tower with 861 rooms. (The cost of the addition has since risen to $800 million.) It would be built just south of L.A. Live’s Regal cinemas and would be connected by pedestrian bridges to the existing JW Marriott.

The hotel expansion would also add 150,000 square feet of meeting space, including a 51,000-square-foot ballroom that AEG says would be the largest in Los Angeles. AEG is working on getting city approval for the project and hopes to start construction within the next 12 months, Fikre said.

The pool deck of the JW Marriott/Ritz-Carlton Hotel in downtown Los Angeles is seen in 2012.(Luis Sinco / Los Angeles Times)

AEG’s hotel addition is intended to happen in tandem with a $500-million expansion of the Los Angeles Convention Center that would create about 800,000 square feet of contiguous exhibition space, a key measure that would make it more competitive with other big convention venues in the country. That project is still in planning phases.

The timing for a sale is opportune because the hotel market rebounded last year as investors bet on the return of travelers as pandemic restrictions ease, real estate broker John Strauss of JLL said.

“By 2023 and 2024 we should see the semblance of normalcy as effects of the pandemic wane in the economy and marketplace,” said Strauss, who represents AEG.

Hotel sales exceeded $38 billion last year, according to JLL, up 395% from 2020 when the pandemic virtually froze travel for months and threatened to put hoteliers out of business. The Ritz-Carlton and JW Marriott were among the hotels that temporarily closed.

The current bounce back in sales “is even more amazing on the heels of the deepest recession we have ever encountered in the hotel business,” said hospitality consultant Alan Reay, who is not involved in the AEG property sale. “To have a rebound of this quality and this high is astounding.”

In California, most of the big sales recently have been at coastal resorts and other properties leisure travelers can drive to, Reay said. The 59-room Alila Ventana Big Sur sold for $150 million in November, a record price per room for the state.

Sales of hotels that rely on business and convention travelers has lagged, he said. The 170-room Westin San Jose in the city’s downtown recently sold for $45 million, a steep discount from its 2017 sale price of $64 million.

Hotels lost a collective $111.8 billion in room revenue alone during 2020 and 2021, the American Hotel & Lodging Assn. said in a report released Monday, but projected occupancy rates and room revenue will approach 2019 levels this year.

Leisure travelers will continue to drive the recovery, the trade association said. In 2019, business travelers accounted for 52.5% of room revenue. In 2022, they’re projected to account for 43.6% of the total.

The Ritz-Carlton and JW Marriott are unusual for a city center hotel in that they serve “one of the most successful sports and entertainment venues in the world” as well as the convention center, Strauss said. “There is no other venue like it in the Western United States.”

Potential buyers capable of bidding the price into hundreds of millions of dollars include real estate investment trusts, private equity investors, sovereign wealth funds from other countries and wealthy individuals.

“This is the largest luxury global hotel offering in the post-COVID era,” Strauss said.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 6:46 AM

Awesome pic from Los Angeles Reddit (scroll -->):

Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 11:21 AM

^ Magnificent panorama. L. A. is such a vast city and metro area, so this photo only shows less than one fourth of the whole. A couple of things stand out. The gigantic growth of the south side of DTLA in the last decade. Los Angeles has basically added a second downtown south of 7th, and many more projects are coming. Also, what stands out is why the L.A. area is such a manufacturing powerhouse. Look at the vast expanse of factories and warehouses on the east and southside, places like Vernon. Another thing I notice is that zoning has brought some order, the separation of the tidy working class suburbs south and east of DTLA from the factory areas. The growth of Koreatown is also noticable, in all the buildings. One day DTLA will move west along Wilshire and tie in with Koreatown in the MacArther Park area. There is logic and order in the vastness.

Sorry colemonkee & Brandon, I'll delete the redundant photos in the future. Hopefully others will too.

Last edited by CaliNative; Jan 28, 2022 at 3:57 AM. Reason: deleting unnecessary photos in the quote

Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 2:58 PM
Ascension

Can we remove the habit of quoting pictures that is directly visible on the previous post? Especially if they are huge.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 4:25 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

Moderator note: I said this just last week, but if you are the next post inline from a photo post, and you want to comment on that photo, do NOT quote the post, or if you do, DELETE the photo from your quote. It cuts down on page load times (considerably) and scrolling necessary.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 7:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
Also, what stands out is why the L.A. area is such a manufacturing powerhouse. Look at the vast expanse of factories and warehouses on the east and southside, places like Vernon. Another thing I notice is that zoning has brought some order, the separation of the tidy working class suburbs south and east of DTLA from the factory areas.
LA is probably the biggest manufacturing metro in this country right? It's a shame few places in this country still make things, but the port + excellent logistics infrastructure + proximity to Asian supply chains probably helps LA retain its manufacturing prowess vis a vis other American cities.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 11:17 PM

Quote:
bird's eye views of central LA always make me wonder how different things would be today if more land devlpt over 60 yrs ago had been nicer.

I never forget a person telling me around 15 yrs ago that she thought dtla would have been in better shape if it were near the ocean....like samo, venice or el segundo is. But she overlooked the fact that an area like pasadena is even further inland, yet it never had as rocky a past as dtla has had. Old town pasadena was gentrified well before broadway in dt was getting closer to that point....& it's still somewhat sketchy or a work in progress.

this gives a good view of how mainly the mitsui apt proj will fit into the area around the Fig at 7th center....

Video Link

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 3:51 AM

If only we had a few supertalls east of the Financial District.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 4:05 AM

Any future supertalls downtown should be as close to heavy rail subway stations as possible, so the only area east of Bunker Hill (other than right along adjacent Hill St.) best suited for future supertalls would probably be right at Union Station.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 4:50 AM

Hill St makes sense and possibly having slim supertalls considering how tiny the parking lots are along that street. Maybe connecting both Onni’s (820 Olive and Times Mirror)? A man can dream lol.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 5:54 AM
:o

Quote:
Great pic. I love this vantage point of downtown as it shows so many of the new buildings that have popped up over the last several years, altering the skyline so much.

Can't help but still be upset about Oceanwide.

Last edited by Valyrian Steel; Jan 27, 2022 at 6:42 AM.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 5:57 AM
你的媽媽

I think what jumps out with that picture to me is just how much open space there is in all of the LA basin. This region basically has unlimited potential, and I would dare say the surface has not even been scratched yet. Maybe just a tiny microscopic nick in the clear coat.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 6:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
I think what jumps out with that picture to me is just how much open space there is in all of the LA basin. This region basically has unlimited potential, and I would dare say the surface has not even been scratched yet. Maybe just a tiny microscopic nick in the clear coat.
I was imagining a future version of that aerial, like in an establishing shot, in which a lot of the single-family homes were replaced by three- or four-story buildings on the same lot size. For a megacity, LA is still young and there's a lot of growing to do.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 7:19 AM

Quote:
I was imagining a future version of that aerial, like in an establishing shot, in which a lot of the single-family homes were replaced by three- or four-story buildings on the same lot size. For a megacity, LA is still young and there's a lot of growing to do.
Downtown is surrounded by enough warehouses in the arts and fashion district that simply developing those areas with highrises (currently underway) is enough to provide a skyline the size of Chicago. It's realistic to assume that LA will look like a very proper, expansive city by the 2028 olympics.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 7:53 AM

^^^ This, I agree 100. Everyone gets sidetracked sometimes. I say focus on the downtown loop. Fill that in first before we worry about high-rises south of the 10 or anywhere else. Focus less on the single-family homes where there is already a solid pushback from communities, especially while half or 1/3 of the downtown loop sits either abandoned are severely underutilized. My view for LA before I die is to see a downtown full of skyscrapers from the 110 to the LA river. The arts district is trying but there needs to be a little acceleration times 10. The governor and mayor are both poking at suburbia to densify when they really need to focus on these landowners downtown to put up or shut up and sell. And good lord cut some of the red tape.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 8:49 AM

Something Added

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittyhawk28 View Post
LA is probably the biggest manufacturing metro in this country right? It's a shame few places in this country still make things, but the port + excellent logistics infrastructure + proximity to Asian supply chains probably helps LA retain its manufacturing prowess vis a vis other American cities.
Nobody considers the Industrial Park / Warehouse Buildings when viewing a city. They only think of the skyscrapers. LA is the NYC of Industrial Park / Warehouse Buildings. All those buildings to the right of downtown only represent 1/20th the overall number of these buildings in the greater LA metro.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 9:50 PM

i get why skyscrapers are a big thing....this is skyscraperpage.com after all. I do like being able to see dtla from miles away....the emerald city, wizard of oz effect. But some of the greatest cities in the world don't have super talls or don't have any more tall bldgs than LA has.

London or paris don't have super talls & although tokyo has a lot of bldgs it's not the way that NYC does....but I'd say those 3 towns compared with the city of the empire state bldg are just as appealing, if not more.

this isn't a super tall...it's pretty low slung. But it's a more important part of dtla....& expo park is the southern tip of dt....than a 90 story tower can be.

Video Link

Old Posted Jan 28, 2022, 4:01 AM

Quote:
I'm certain you know but others might not, a lot of those "single-family" houses you see in the working class immigrant suburbs in the aerial photo have a surprising amount of people living in them in shared arrangements. These are very high density suburbs, with small lot sizes and usually over 10,000 people per sq. mile, sometimes double that. Look up the densities of places like Maywood/Bell, South Gate, Huntington Park, Boyle Heights etc. Often > 20,000 per sq. mile. Everybody knows that places like Westlake/Koreatown, Hollywood, much of the westside, etc. have high densities. So do many of the burbs, even the San Fernando Valley & OC. But I understand what you are saying, replace many of the houses with multi story and the people could have more living space and the high densities could be accommodated in a better looking urban form. It would also allow room for parks in these park starved areas.

Last edited by CaliNative; Jan 28, 2022 at 4:27 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations