HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Feb 11, 2021, 3:22 AM

My 3d model of NYC depicting WTC in todays skyline.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2021, 2:16 PM

Thanks rgarri4. They look very aged due to the newer towers. You could almost say they look alien in their own city. Very eerie.

80 South Street really messes up the skyline here. I mean it's a stunning building. But shrinking it down to under 1000ft it loses none of it's majestic presence.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2021, 7:12 PM

The original twins suited this part of the skyline perfectly. They were the ultimate expression of what surrounded them. Trump's Kenneth Gardener design will always have my vote. The only thing holding the original twins back was their height which would no longer dominate their surroundings today.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2021, 11:32 AM

Interesting thing about their height. Even though it would have been surpassed, due to their size and dominance it wouldn't have mattered much. Most towers going over 1000ft are taping at that point or were thin to begin with.

They would have probably held the record for the cities tallest for 40 odd years much like ESB did before that. Something taller in midtown would have gone up in the 00s if not for 9/11.

The hotel (3WTC) would have got a reclad by now I'm sure and even 4,5,6 WTC for the same?

Old Posted Apr 27, 2021, 10:45 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Old Posted Apr 30, 2021, 5:06 AM
skeena222

They should totally be rebuilt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visionist View Post
The original twins suited this part of the skyline perfectly. They were the ultimate expression of what surrounded them. Trump's Kenneth Gardener design will always have my vote. The only thing holding the original twins back was their height which would no longer dominate their surroundings today.
And don't skimp on height either. I personally like the idea of building 2,977' and 6' more for the northern tower. Before that, complete the MetLife North Building, Larkin Building, and Travelstead Tower somewhere, as well as the Mid-Manhattan and Lower Manhattan expressways, connect them to a rebuilt West Side Elevated Highway.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2021, 5:12 AM
skeena222

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHigher View Post
Thanks rgarri4. They look very aged due to the newer towers. You could almost say they look alien in their own city. Very eerie.

80 South Street really messes up the skyline here. I mean it's a stunning building. But shrinking it down to under 1000ft it loses none of it's majestic presence.
They don't look bad though. If they were still around, they would certainly need to be bumped up in terms of height, and certainly a darker shade of grey, or even black as the shade of choice, to give them a bit of a Sears Tower vibe.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2021, 11:25 PM

What a great sight to see the Twin Towers in today's skyline. The towers continue to dominate the Lower Manhattan skyline. I do see them a little outdated compared to the new glass towers, but still, what an incredible sight. If only the towers had survived...

Thank you for posting.

Old Posted May 1, 2021, 12:20 AM
skeena222

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman_Patrick View Post
What a great sight to see the Twin Towers in today's skyline. The towers continue to dominate the Lower Manhattan skyline. I do see them a little outdated compared to the new glass towers, but still, what an incredible sight. If only the towers had survived...

Thank you for posting.
Think about the architecture of the old towers, that midcentury look a la Mies Van Der Rohe was highly bleeding edge, and was substantially more risky than many of the new buildings today because they had nothing else to compare to. If anything the old towers look more advanced and significant than the current crop, and would look more advanced if they were taller by any significant clip.

Old Posted May 1, 2021, 7:14 AM
skeena222

Me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTQuagmire View Post
Sorry if this is not the right place to post this, but I want to get this cleared out.

I am not sure how many of you remember me. I left the forum long ago, and haven’t spoken there in years. I used a name called “Apathanoia” while I was here. I was one of the people who spoke for getting the twins rebuilt, who tried to get you to support it.

Unfortunately, my hatred for what has happened there has not gone away. $15 billion for a bunker-based tower that is the “nation’s tallest”, two waterfall holes in the ground, a $4 billion transit station, and a few other towers... from what I see, an inferior product compared to the former WTC. And I still believe the process and the site resulted from fraud and corruption, with things like Bridgegate reinforcing this.

As much as I feel this way, however, I have a harsh truth to say about myself: I am a coward.

What I have said in favor of new twins has been exclusive to Internet forums and responses to online articles. I never actually did anything to contribute to the cause, and I never gave money to anyone. I expected things to work out on their own, and for the American people to get the twins back. Remember that Justin Berzon book? I never bought it. It didn’t help that I worried it went too far into conspiracy theories…along with the fact that it probably sold only ten copies. Outside of the Internet, the me who said those words didn’t even exist.

I haven’t even spoken to my own family about it. I have been looking at those sites in private for years. My parents defended the idea of not rebuilding the twins at the time due to the cost to build (feels odd now) and the difficulty in getting tenants, citing the ESB and the original WTC as examples. As a person with Asperger’s, I knew that continually bringing it up would have had my parents say I am obsessing about it, and I didn’t want to behave that way. Today, I worry that if I did say stuff about this to my parents, they would disown me or worse, get me committed to a mental institution.

I have been keeping these thoughts away from almost everybody for nearly 15 years. I have been a man who wanted to go big, wanted to walk the walk, but have kept my lower legs and feet in a concrete block of fear. It is quite possible that in a way, I am the very thing I hate.

I have chosen a life of expectations that America, if not the whole world, would consistently get worse from here on out. I felt that the bunker, the pits, and the Calatrava hub in particular were impossible to take seriously. But who am I to judge or talk down to others about this? I see a world that is deteriorating like I envisioned, with crumbling infrastructure, ISIS, income inequality, etc., but somehow, I wonder if I have actually contributed to it (and the current WTC) because of my cowardice. At least, if I do tell others about this, at least I can ditch feelings that my mind or my cowardice is making it real.

I know I feel strange talking to you about this, but I feel I need to at a minimum tell you about what I really have been, to tell you that I am a coward and that have earned your hate.
Please respond. I am in pretty much the same space.

Old Posted May 1, 2021, 9:35 AM
I love NY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman_Patrick View Post

Thank you for posting.
They would have been demolished had they not collapsed.

Old Posted May 1, 2021, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiConTr0v3rSYx View Post
They would have been demolished had they not collapsed.
Wrong. They would have fallen due to the Sandy flooding in 2012.

Old Posted May 22, 2021, 2:13 AM

how?

Old Posted May 22, 2021, 7:17 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHigher View Post
Wrong. They would have fallen due to the Sandy flooding in 2012.
You're kidding right?

The one good thing those worthless human beings that hijacked the planes did was get rid of two of the world's most boring, featureless architectural monoliths ever built. Comparatively, the WTC that replaced those two giant boxes is an architectural masterpiece

Old Posted May 24, 2021, 12:39 PM

lmao

Old Posted Aug 31, 2021, 2:54 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

enjoy 5min of hd-vhs demo tape from 1993. the wtc comes in at :33, but the whole thing is worth watching:

https://youtu.be/fT4lDU-QLUY

Old Posted Sep 11, 2021, 11:20 PM
Ex Houstonian

Since its 9/11 here's some pretty amazing raw videos of the attacks and of that day. On a side-note I went to the Flight 93 Memorial today and saw Bush.

Video Link

Video Link

Video Link

Video Link

Video Link

Video Link

Old Posted Oct 18, 2021, 9:36 PM

Had the towers not collapsed I think that the damage would possibly have been repairable.

The damage from the 1993 bombing looked extensive at the time but they were able to get that most of that fixed reportedly within just a few weeks
Video Link

Following the 1993 bombing damage to the below grade levels of the towers and the Marriott (then Vista) hotel was fully patched up within two years.

Video Link

Video Link

The towers looked mostly intact below the impact zone prior to the collapse, even if there were some localized floor failures taking place that were obviously hidden behind the exterior cladding. For example, lighting was on in the towers even after the south tower was hit and many people inside allegedly had no indication that the towers would collapse even after the initial explosions from the plane impacts and jetfuel blasts down the elevators.

The toughest part would be extinguishing the fires, although many of the firefighters were getting close to at least the mid portion of the towers right before the south tower collapsed and the remaining firefighters in the north tower were given the command to exit the building.

One thing that is confusing is that despite there being fire extinguishers on every floor of the stairwells and helicopters that could potentially hose down fires, none of these methods seemed to be even be remotely successful in clearing out even small pockets of fire. Perhaps the fires were too extensive in floor coverage and spanning multiple floors that it required full scale deployment of firefighters to the scene to even begin to extinguish the fires in sizable enough areas to allow escape.

On a more somber note, had the towers not collapsed it would have probably been far easier to identify the remains of jumpers and the passengers aboard the hijacked airplanes. The plaza would still be intact, as would the underground mall. The lobbies could be repaired.

Last edited by worldtrade2021; Jan 14, 2022 at 10:27 AM.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2022, 5:21 AM

Hi everyone! Quick question.
I am working on a scale model of the Twin Towers and wonder if anyone has the exact dimensions/measurements information on the towers?

I am looking specifically for the size of the columns, windows, and the towers corners that connected each face.

I have done research online but I am finding different information so I figured I would ask here.

Thanks!

Old Posted May 12, 2022, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
30 years to the date after this was published, those towers would be nothing more than a pile of rubble

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture