HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Feb 22, 2022, 5:24 PM
你的媽媽

Some recent shots from the western end of the creek promenade.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2022, 10:21 PM
heavy user of walkability

block 9W

the UCSF parking garage on Mariposa

Old Posted Mar 16, 2022, 10:37 PM

To follow Timbad's post, here's a snap from the north side of the parking garage where you can see steel rising for Block 34/UCSF Clinical Building.

and rendering from roughly the same direction:

Old Posted Apr 25, 2022, 3:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slock View Post
I noticed that this might have broken ground. Saw some heavy equipment on site:

https://sfyimby.com/2020/10/permits-...francisco.html
as I mentioned in the main thread, I hadn't noticed much movement over there so I thought it might just be storage of equipment, but on closer look, seems there must be something going on...

jumping over to the Flower Mart site just outside of MB proper. gutting of the existing buildings is much more evident now

the (latest) UCSF parking garage and beginnings of clinical building

Last edited by timbad; Apr 26, 2022 at 12:11 AM. Reason: added rendering of 1450 Owens

Old Posted May 13, 2022, 6:59 PM
你的媽媽

Looks like MB/Dogpatch is doing well.

Quote:
Businesses near Chase thrive on playoffs
By Melissa Hartman Examiner staff writer • May 9, 2022 3:30 pm - Updated May 10, 2022 12:33 pm

On Wednesday, with the Warriors in Memphis for what could be the deciding game in the NBA Playoffs series, Bay Area fans waiting to watch the action at Chase Center’s Thrive City will form lines that traipse in front of nearby restaurants where the beer and music are flowing as much as the excitement.

Inside Gott’s Roadside, Harmonic Brewing and other establishments, the cheers of Dubs loyalists may only be rivaled by those of business owners who are soaking up sales attracted by a thriving team and the hordes that show up at Thrive City’s pop-up party.

Having the Giants and the Warriors both be really good coming out of the pandemic is like the perfect storm, in a good way,” Plow restaurant co-owner Joel Bleskacek said.

While most sports venues are dark when teams are out of town, Chase is a notable exception, drawing fans to watch the Warriors in out-of-town playoff games. Eateries and bars in the area, most of which predate Chase Center, are seeing an influx of support between the facility’s modern offerings and reduced COVID restrictions.

“When Chase Center was really getting going, COVID hit and took the wind out of its sails,” said Tony Cooney, co-owner of Connecticut Yankee bar and restaurant. “Now, we will see a bunch of people come in and dine and hang out with us before the events and even after as well.

The tune is melodic from restaurateurs near Chase Center. It changes, turning melancholy, when you move outside its proximity. Every party but one is invited to the one-stop-shop fan experience: Individually owned businesses tucked inside the nearby neighborhoods themselves.

During a midday playoff game early in the series, Biscuit Bender owner Van Dao saw a noticeable drop in patronage. He spoke with customers about it who said they preferred eating and drinking on-site at Thrive City rather than going into the Dogpatch like they may have if such a destination hadn’t existed.

Dao went from counting on those who lived in the neighborhood and wanted to stay close to home during the pandemic to watching some customers return to options elsewhere. He compared Thrive City to Super Bowl City, a limited-time venue for concerts, events and more in light of Super Bowl 50 in 2016.

“I used to be in the Ferry Building and that was the worst sales merchants saw. Locals couldn’t get down there,” Dao said.

The Warriors do try to take care of local businesses through supplementary programming, argued Kimberly Veale, the Warriors’ senior director of corporate communications. She offered Home Court Assist, an effort in which the organization supplies hot meals from local businesses to those facing food insecurity, and the Tastemakers Program, a Thrive City feature that allows for San Francisco companies to promote their products.

“We take our role as a good neighbor very seriously, and as an extremely active partner in community activities, we know from our day-to-day experiences that Chase Center brings enormous vitality and economic activity to the entire area beyond the arena,” Veale said.

“With most stadiums, the businesses, the restaurant and entertainment areas around the stadiums tend to live and die by those events. … But Chase is unique. It’s done a really good job with creating a collaborative space with the community, outdoor TV screens (and all). People will still eat at the restaurants,” said Bleskacek.

In addition to advocating for the Warriors organization, the Plow owner praised Giants owner Larry Baer’s multi-use project happening just down the water from the ballpark. This, with the development of Spark Social, the UCSF Mission Bay campus, Crane Cove Park and others, has made the area feel more connected to the rest of The City rather than a district for warehouses.

Regardless of stadium economics, owners agree regulars from the neighborhood saved their businesses during the pandemic. They are reminders of the good will that does exist in The City, even after all of the pain that continues to be inflicted by the virus.

“We feel extremely fortunate to have built a solid relationship with our neighbors in Mission Bay, Dogpatch and the Bayview, and we recognize how lucky we are to have their support on a regular basis, particularly the last couple of years. Having the Chase Center next door is amazing, but our loyalty is undoubtedly weighted toward our friends in the neighborhood,” Osborne said.

Christensen and Cooney said some neighbors have been there for generations and make up a “massive” amount of the clientele.

The vibe is kind of like North Beach; they support each other,” Christensen said. “Especially with our old-time place, it’s the same faces. We don’t turn over a lot of staff there.”

Dao prefers this location to his old, more touristy one because his intention was to establish a community cafe.

“My loyal base lives here. They’re the ones I want to serve anyway. I know people by name, so there’s an actual community sense versus a transactional sense,” he said.
https://www.sfexaminer.com/the-city/...e-on-playoffs/

Old Posted May 13, 2022, 7:04 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
Downtown was lit tonight. Double major events occurring simultaneously this afternoon/evening with the Giants thumping the Cardinals on Buster Posey Day with over 40,000 in attendance and the Warriors dominating the Grizzlies in NBA playoff action with over 18,000 in attendance.

Can't state enough how lucky we are to be able to enjoy these two premier teams/franchises of their respective sports in two state of the art venues in our downtown core. So many people walking around before and after the game, taking in the sights along the waterfront, packing in the bars and restaurants. You love to see it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dktshb View Post
Glad to hear. How is the Mission Bay neighborhood coming along? It seems like the area around Chase Center is a bit lacking as far a vibrant urban environment, but I have yet to be down in that area. With the parking garages, parking lots and UCSF campus it seems a little underwhelming. When Mission Rock gets built out with China Basin Park I think the area could become a destination for locals and tourists especially with the park right on the waterfront. Fingers crossed. Just got back from Sydney and what that city did with Darling Harbour is nothing short of amazing. This won't be a Darling Harbour but I hope it is truly another neighborhood to be proud of.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
Get down there. I’m uninspired by the bland modernist architecture of most of the area but it really has become a neighborhood with more activity than you suggest. And when the areas on both sides of it, north and south, get built out that will be even more true.
Quote:
Originally Posted by obemearg View Post
The lack of patina doesn't appeal to me personally, though it seems to check the right boxes for some people. I have some friends living on the peninsula that are considering a move to SF and as a neighborhood it's their top choice.

The area directly surrounding the Chase Center is typically the quietest outside of events days as there are two garages, and a surface lot still across the street. The main structures of the Uber campus next door also still have yet to fill their retail space, though with Ubers recent RTO-lite there has been a little more foot traffic.

The residential areas along 4th street have been lively though, especially Spark Social. When I've been by Mission Creek park on the weekends it's always been very vibrant. The neighborhood in general seems to especially attract new families.

Crane Cove Park has also definitely activated the area quite a bit too. It's been busy every time I've been, and I think it draws in people from Potrero Hill, and parts of SoMa. I agree that Mission Rock will really liven up the area even more, and definitely make the overall development feel more urban and integrated with the rest of the city.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
It's clean, it's modern, it reminds me of a suburban office park or even mall. So it's no surprise it appeals to folks as an alternative to actual suburbs.
Quote:
Agree with many of the comments here. It doesn’t have the organic feel of some of the legacy neighborhoods, even the SFH outer ones, but that’s to be expected. And while it is generic and bland in some instances it is pretty vibrant for being essentially a brand new neighborhood with a good amount of activity especially around the parks and some of the food places. Chase Center is also surrounded by the medical center and offices so that area in particular is going to be pretty quiet on non event weekends and weeknights. And as other things fill in like Restoration Hardware and Crane Cove Park have, and soon Mission Rock, it should attract more tourists and residents from other neighborhoods.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dktshb View Post
That is all disappointing regarding Mission Bay. Looking at Google Maps some of the apartments really do have a suburban feel and some of the streets seem to have dead zones with no retail and have no pedestrian appeal. The Mission Rock that they're building out now looks much more promising with interesting architecture and nice public space including a square. When Mission Rock is complete (at least phase one with the park included) I will head down there and check it out. SF really had an opportunity to build a vibrant urban neighborhood from scratch. I hope they didn't completely blow it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamfishhead View Post
Having lived in Mission Bay for 11 years now, one of the things that makes it very different than many other parts of the city is that it was basically built all at once. Most of the rest of the city has a mix of buildings built over a hundred years, but Mission Bay was basically built over roughly 10-15 years, mostly with large apartments, and mostly with a zoning code that only presents a few options if you want to maximize $$$$. The 4th street retail corridor is actually pretty nice. I do think Mission Rock will need to be more fully built out before it feels more like a neighborhood. I do personally like the neighborhood, but I do live right around where it blurs into SoMa and South Beach, so that does give me a different perception, I suppose.
Quote:
Although it's a little further south in the Dogpatch, the Potrero Power Station project is going to be a huge, both figuratively and literally, in terms of being an activator of the area. The architecture in this particular project is also quite stunning. If MB were built like MR and PPS that would've been nice, but at least we're getting the good stuff now. The Dogpatch blends pretty seamlessly into MB so that's nice as well. You can walk along 3rd and make a pit stop at the excellent Neighbor Bakehouse or take the scenic route along the waterfront.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudolus View Post
To me, what makes Mission Bay feel sterile are the block-long wide buildings on large lots, as opposed to most of the rest of the city, where 25 foot wide lots are the standard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
I biked around Mission Bay last November, and I thought it was pretty impressive. I can see how some might find it a bit sterile because it was developed basically all at once, but I think it gets the basics right- the street grid was maintained, there's plenty of transit and bike infrastructure, nice new green spaces, and some signature buildings (Chase Center, some UCSF buildings) that provide some visual interest.

For basically building an entire neighborhood from scratch, I think it's pretty good. Not quite Boston Seaport good, but there is still a fair amount left to be developed. Mission Rock definitely is a step up in quality and intensity. I echo others comments that people should check it out for themselves rather than relying on google street view.
Including these comments here to help curate relevant discussion.

Old Posted May 13, 2022, 9:31 PM
你的媽媽

Some good news for increasing connectivity to MB.

Quote:
Funding influx for ferry projects in the USA
Strategic Partnerships’ Mary Scott Nabers outlines how cities, public transportation agencies and other organisations are improving ferry services across the USA with the help of federal funding

By Mary Scott Nabers
13 May 2022

Not everyone knows that the USA federal government’s infrastructure bill includes a $1.6 billion funding allocation for projects related to ferry services. Private-sector contractors should take a moment to check out some of the upcoming projects designed to amplify ferry services throughout the USA.

In California, public officials are pursuing well-funded initiatives to improve ferry operations along the Pacific Coast. Recently, the city of Berkeley and California’s Water Emergency Transportation Authority (WETA) completed a joint feasibility study related to local ferry services. The study examined a $93 million project with the objective of building new pier and ferry facilities in Berkeley. The project is moving into the design and permitting stages, and solicitation documents are soon to be made publicly available.

Nearby, WETA is partnering with the Port of San Francisco and other local agencies to carry out work on the joint Mission Bay Ferry Landing project. The first phase of this project included marine clean-up work, which is now completed. The second phase carries a budget of $58.8 million for design and construction work.
https://www.cruiseandferry.net/artic...s-in-the-usa-1

Old Posted May 13, 2022, 9:32 PM
你的媽媽

^ Some info on the Mission Bay Ferry Landing.

Quote:
The Mission Bay Ferry Landing will provide critical regional ferry service to and from the fast-growing Mission Bay neighborhood and surrounding Central Waterfront communities. It will also connect communities across the Bay to water recreation and maritime activity on the San Francisco waterfront.

The new ferry landing is within a half mile of approximately 11,000 new housing units, 7 million square feet of new office and commercial space, over 1 million square feet of new retail space and 70 acres of public open space. Additionally, the terminal is planned within one block from the T-Third line and Central Subway, which is underway for extension to San Francisco’s Chinatown neighborhood. The terminal will be an easy walk to the Golden State Warriors Chase Center, the UCSF Mission Bay hospital and campus, and to San Francisco’s related life sciences community.

Mission Bay Ferry Landing will provide capability to berth two ferry boats simultaneously and it is estimated that the ferry landing will have the capacity to handle up to 6,000 passengers per day. The ferry landing is essential to alleviate current regional transportation overcrowding and provide transportation resiliency in the event of an earthquake, BART or Bay Bridge failure, or other unplanned events. Ferry service will reduce our community’s carbon footprint and the landing is designed to accommodate the expected sea level rise.

The Port of San Francisco and Water Emergency Transit Authority (WETA) are leading the project with the support of other City and regional agencies.
https://sfport.com/projects-programs...-ferry-landing

Old Posted May 13, 2022, 9:56 PM

Quote:
^ Some info on the Mission Bay Ferry Landing.

https://sfport.com/projects-programs...-ferry-landing
What I really wish I knew more about was why that waterfront park is still stalled. But yea, new ferry will be nice too...

Old Posted May 13, 2022, 10:00 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyMucho View Post
What I really wish I knew more about was why that waterfront park is still stalled. But yea, new ferry will be nice too...
The renderings are so old it also doesn't show Mission Rock.

Old Posted May 14, 2022, 5:58 AM
你的媽媽

Nice project here. Should help improve connectivity to MB/Dogpatch which is transforming nicely into an employment hub in addition to its residential developments.

Quote:
Construction to begin on 16th Street bus lanes
Riders are excited, but business owners are concerned
By Benjamin Schneider Examiner staff writer • May 5, 2022 3:30 pm

The most transformative — and potentially disruptive — transit project since the opening of the Van Ness bus rapid transit line is set to begin construction.

On May 9, construction crews will break ground on the second phase of the 16th St. Improvement Project, adding bus-only lanes and other transit improvements between Church Street and Potrero Avenue, with the goal of speeding travel on the 22 Fillmore and other lines by 25%.

Business owners along the popular restaurant and nightlife corridor are wary, especially in light of the long and arduous Van Ness project about a mile north. But bus riders are excited to experience improved service on one of Muni’s busiest lines.

“I think it’ll be great,” said Travis Perry, who commutes on the 22 from the Mission to Harmonic Brewing at the Chase Center. “Whatever makes it quicker to get to work, I’m fond of.”

The $16 million construction project, scheduled to last through the summer of 2023, will see a westbound bus only lane installed between Potrero and Church, and a short eastbound bus only lane between Bryant and Potrero. Other measures to improve bus speeds include the elimination of stops at Harrison and Guerrero, new “bus bulbs” for quicker boarding and additional traffic signals.

Other aspects of the project include the improvement of the overhead traction wires that power the 22 bus, new street trees and minor underground sewer upgrades. The red bus lanes will be one of the final elements to be installed, an SFMTA spokesperson said. The project will benefit the 22, 33 and 55 buses, as well as UCSF shuttles.

The 22 has seen the strongest post-pandemic recovery of all of Muni’s lines, linking essential workers to booming employment hubs like UCSF’s Mission Bay campus and Chase Center. On weekends, the bus carries a whopping 130% of its pre-pandemic passenger load.

But business owners, who are still recovering from the pandemic, are worried about how construction will affect incoming deliveries, as well as delivery workers picking up food orders.

“The main concern is deliveries,” said Art Herzallah, owner of Freekeh and the Pork Store restaurants on 16th Street. “Uber drivers aren’t going to want to come to pick up food, and Costco drivers aren’t going to want to come drop off.”

Herzallah has attended several community meetings related to the project. He said SFMTA told them that construction would proceed in block by block increments, with each section taking about six-to-eight weeks.

SFMTA and the Office of Economic and Workforce Development have convened a working group to develop a marketing campaign for the 16th Street merchants, and to provide technical assistance to businesses. The agency said not every block along the affected corridor will see significant construction, and on those that do, it’s working hard to ensure no outdoor dining parklets are removed.

Several people waiting for the 22 at 16th and Valencia said they hadn’t heard of the construction project. When the project was described to her, Mullane Luigi replied, “Dope… I’d like to see more bus and bike lanes throughout The City.
https://www.sfexaminer.com/fixes/con...eet-bus-lanes/

https://www.sfmta.com/projects/16th-...roject-phase-2

Old Posted May 14, 2022, 8:47 PM

Quote:
I've been googling this question once a month for the last year, nothing.

Old Posted May 16, 2022, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbad View Post

jumping over to the Flower Mart site just outside of MB proper. gutting of the existing buildings is much more evident now

update on this from sfyimby

Old Posted May 16, 2022, 12:17 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Nice project here. Should help improve connectivity to MB/Dogpatch which is transforming nicely into an employment hub in addition to its residential developments.

https://www.sfexaminer.com/fixes/con...eet-bus-lanes/
can attest that phase 1 certainly made 16th St 'feel' more pleasant to walk along, and it is nice to see the ridership and travel-time improvements quoted in that article to give that impression some meat

Old Posted Jun 21, 2022, 6:31 AM
你的媽媽

Nice shot of the MB mini skyline from Chase with the big boi skyline in the background. Go Warriors!

https://www.instagram.com/p/Ce4pR5GrwmJ/

Old Posted Jun 28, 2022, 8:44 PM

Quote:
The renderings are so old it also doesn't show Mission Rock.
The idea of more ferry landings is great, but not when the only cities you can take them to are Alameda, Vallejo, Larkspur, and Richmond. The Peninsula could really use some ferry access! The Bay is dredged down to Redwood City (possibly further?).

Old Posted Jun 29, 2022, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneRinconHill View Post
The idea of more ferry landings is great, but not when the only cities you can take them to are Alameda, Vallejo, Larkspur, and Richmond. The Peninsula could really use some ferry access! The Bay is dredged down to Redwood City (possibly further?).
As much as I'd love to see the bay full of ferries, I think it's both a "how long it takes to get there" as well as a ridership challenge that makes it less viable.

Ferries are expensive to operate and slow compared to other modes; all of which tend to get worse the farther they run, relative to buses, trains, etc.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2022, 7:14 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
As much as I'd love to see the bay full of ferries, I think it's both a "how long it takes to get there" as well as a ridership challenge that makes it less viable.

Ferries are expensive to operate and slow compared to other modes; all of which tend to get worse the farther they run, relative to buses, trains, etc.
Ferry landings are also usually difficult to get to because, well, they're right on the bay and there usually isn't much high density housing on our waterfronts due to protected marshlands, except for select places like SF, Oakland, Alameda. It'd be difficult to build TODs at ferry stops.

It does seem like they'd make more sense for cross bay trips rather than up and down the Peninsula trips.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2022, 12:38 AM

the UCSF parking garage and new clinical building going up in the SE corner of MB (down Third St from Mission Rock)

Old Posted Jul 8, 2022, 5:07 AM
你的媽媽

The screen on the garage isn’t too bad all things considered. Has some aesthetic appeal at least.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development