HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Mar 23, 2024, 2:34 AM

That's never happening to I-35. Any improvement to it would do this view some good. Even the TX-dot improvements would help. Also, it's pretty messy just viewing the towers with their "bones" exposed and the cranes still looming over them. It's not my favorite view of downtown, tbh.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2024, 6:34 AM
Frontal Lobe Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by migol24 View Post
That's never happening to I-35.
It is happening. Construction starts this summer.
https://my35capex.com/projects/i-35-...press-central/

Old Posted Mar 23, 2024, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobotomizer View Post
It is happening. Construction starts this summer.
https://my35capex.com/projects/i-35-...press-central/
This is the TXDot plan and not the actual burying of I-35 that some locals proposed, which I assumed was what the other user was referring to.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2024, 11:14 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
That's never happening to I-35. Any improvement to it would do this view some good. Even the TX-dot improvements would help. Also, it's pretty messy just viewing the towers with their "bones" exposed and the cranes still looming over them. It's not my favorite view of downtown, tbh.
I'm kinda the opposite. I love watching the Rainey Street construction. It looks impressive with all the cranes. Really gives the city that cosmopolitan look. It will be awesome when it's all done but this period with all the construction going on at once is really the most exciting thing we have experienced in this city and it will be over once they are complete.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2024, 11:49 PM
クラブトクヨ

I agree JD its really cool to see all this construction at once, not very many cities in the US get to experience that growth. I will be sad when it all slows down.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2024, 12:08 PM

Quote:
This is the TXDot plan and not the actual burying of I-35 that some locals proposed, which I assumed was what the other user was referring to.
In case you don't understand the schematics, I will give you the CliffsNotes version. TxDOT is placing the main lanes below grade (burying) throughout the central core. Bridges across the 'Big Ditch' will be wider, with decent bike and ped facilities and other amenities (Stitches). TxDOT will also construct frontage roads at the surface, mostly in the form of a two-way boulevards on one or the other side of the 'Big Ditch'. The City and possibly UT will have the option of 'Capping' the 'Big Ditch' in various locations along the corridor. The 'Caps' will likely be primarily open space, but low-rise buildings in some locations may also be possible. The City has already secured $105 M from DC to pay for the 'Caps' between Cesar Chavez and 4th. They are also seeking a $192 M loan from the State of Texas for capping infrastructure along the whole corridor and are considering a bond election for approximately $500 M for the rest of the 'Capping' program. UT is studying 'Caps' between MLK and Dean Keeton but has not yet publicly announced an agreement with TxDOT nor a funding source. But UT probably has greater funding potential than the City.

So it is happening, especially from the viewing point towards Rainey construction.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2024, 1:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O View Post
In case you don't understand the schematics, I will give you the CliffsNotes version. TxDOT is placing the main lanes below grade (burying) throughout the central core. Bridges across the 'Big Ditch' will be wider, with decent bike and ped facilities and other amenities (Stitches). TxDOT will also construct frontage roads at the surface, mostly in the form of a two-way boulevards on one or the other side of the 'Big Ditch'. The City and possibly UT will have the option of 'Capping' the 'Big Ditch' in various locations along the corridor. The 'Caps' will likely be primarily open space, but low-rise buildings in some locations may also be possible. The City has already secured $105 M from DC to pay for the 'Caps' between Cesar Chavez and 4th. They are also seeking a $192 M loan from the State of Texas for capping infrastructure along the whole corridor and are considering a bond election for approximately $500 M for the rest of the 'Capping' program. UT is studying 'Caps' between MLK and Dean Keeton but has not yet publicly announced an agreement with TxDOT nor a funding source. But UT probably has greater funding potential than the City.

So it is happening, especially from the viewing point towards Rainey construction.
Nice!
I've been out of the loop for a few years. I'd only heard that TxDot would allow the city to cap I-35 if they wanted to, but didn't realize it was a go. I rarely click on files. They bore me. lol

Old Posted Mar 27, 2024, 12:52 AM

Old Posted Mar 27, 2024, 1:24 PM
World Traveler

Looks like wires coiled at each of those rectangles. Makes me think it will have some sort of lighting feature here. Does that match the renderings that you guys have referred to? I'm unsure which is the current version.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2024, 1:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
Looks like wires coiled at each of those rectangles. Makes me think it will have some sort of lighting feature here. Does that match the renderings that you guys have referred to? I'm unsure which is the current version.
I don't think there are any public renderings showing this side of the building.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2024, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
I think you are right. Weird that they would put lighting on a section that might one day end up covered though.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2024, 5:35 PM

A lighting detail makes the most sense from what it looks like. Looks like it'll be pretty cool.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2024, 2:12 AM

Looking forward to it being a new light installation for the city. Pretty hyped for it! Hopefully it turns out nicely. If so, it will bring in more attention and maybe foot traffic to Rainey in the coming years

Old Posted Mar 28, 2024, 4:26 PM
World Traveler

Lighting like that wouldn't be all that expensive (relatively speaking), so if it takes years to build anything on the lot next door, it wouldn't be a huge loss. If something is built next year, this would certainly seem a bit silly.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2024, 10:07 PM

Old Posted Apr 15, 2024, 10:19 PM

Another awesome photo update today by Urbannizer.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2024, 8:13 PM

Inside pictures from Urbanspace LinkedIn:

Old Posted Apr 17, 2024, 8:51 PM

Old Posted Apr 18, 2024, 1:36 PM

I’m kind of impressed that they are cladding the blank wall. I’m assuming it’ll be black, but we’ll never know until they peel the protective cover off.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2024, 10:51 PM

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin