HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 5, 2021, 2:37 PM
World Traveler

It's been a while since I've been in San Antonio other than passing through. Definitely need to swing by again. Looking good!

Old Posted Mar 5, 2021, 2:56 PM
BANNED

SA is gorgeous. I think that it's the best city in Texas.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2021, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMKeynes View Post
SA is gorgeous. I think that it's the best city in Texas.
I would certainly say that San Antonio is the most *charming* large city to visit in Texas. As a place to live, Houston is much more interesting and fulfilling...IN MY OPINION. Living in S.A., I really miss the everyone-from-everywhere-United-Nations-type-feel that Houston has. The internationalism in Houston is in your face all over town. Here, it's basically Anglo and Hispanic. Not even a very visible Black community. Nor Asian.

And here's a dirty little secret about San Antonio... outside of downtown, it *can* be every bit as ugly as the ugliest parts of "un-zoned" Houston.

Edited to add: Driving around certain parts of San Antonio, specifically areas just north and just south of downtown, I see SOOOO much unrealized potential. Some of the projects in this thread give me hope, though.

Last edited by bilbao58; Mar 6, 2021 at 1:09 AM.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2021, 2:30 AM

2020 S. A. Pop 1.59 million/ Metro 2.64 million/ASA corridor 5 million Census undercount city proper. San Antonio economy and largest economic sectors. Annual contribution towards GDP. U.S. DOD$48.5billion/Manufacturing $40.5 billion/Healthcare-Biosciences $40 billion/Finance-Insurance $20 billion/Tourism $15 billion/ Technology $10 billion. S.A./ Austin: Tech $25 billion/Manufacturing $11 billion/ Tourism $9 billion.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2021, 2:58 AM

305 Soledad Street: Update 32 story residential tower. 400ft. Construction to begin this summer.

https://saheron.com/weston-urban-residential-tower/

https://www.virtualbx.com/constructi...gn-commission/

2020 S. A. Pop 1.59 million/ Metro 2.64 million/ASA corridor 5 million Census undercount city proper. San Antonio economy and largest economic sectors. Annual contribution towards GDP. U.S. DOD$48.5billion/Manufacturing $40.5 billion/Healthcare-Biosciences $40 billion/Finance-Insurance $20 billion/Tourism $15 billion/ Technology $10 billion. S.A./ Austin: Tech $25 billion/Manufacturing $11 billion/ Tourism $9 billion.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2021, 3:51 AM

Artista Boutique Hotel
California developer plans 112-room boutique Riverwalk Hotel.

https://www.mysanantonio.com/real-es...photo-17510888

Old Posted Mar 6, 2021, 4:38 AM

Old Posted Mar 6, 2021, 10:43 PM

What is that house there?

Old Posted Mar 7, 2021, 5:24 AM

Elmira at Myrtle Pearl District/Tobin Hill

299 Residential Units with 14,000 SF Retail and Restaurants

https://rebusinessonline.com/transfo...rising-cities/

https://sabotdevelopment.com/portfol...ira-at-myrtle/

Last edited by Paul in S.A TX; Mar 7, 2021 at 5:36 AM.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2021, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in S.A TX View Post
Elmira at Myrtle Pearl District/Tobin Hill
I'm really happy to see development on this scale happening in the Pearl/Tobin Hill area. A part of town that I think has tremendous potential.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2021, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbao58 View Post
I would certainly say that San Antonio is the most *charming* large city to visit in Texas. As a place to live, Houston is much more interesting and fulfilling...IN MY OPINION. Living in S.A., I really miss the everyone-from-everywhere-United-Nations-type-feel that Houston has. The internationalism in Houston is in your face all over town. Here, it's basically Anglo and Hispanic. Not even a very visible Black community. Nor Asian.

And here's a dirty little secret about San Antonio... outside of downtown, it *can* be every bit as ugly as the ugliest parts of "un-zoned" Houston.

Edited to add: Driving around certain parts of San Antonio, specifically areas just north and just south of downtown, I see SOOOO much unrealized potential. Some of the projects in this thread give me hope, though.

I would assume that Houston is the most diverse city in Texas, but when you look at the population as a whole the ethnic makeup of Houston is not all that different than San Antonio's.

Houston metro is nearly 45% Hispanic, 25% percent white, 23% black, 7% Asian, and 1.3% Other races.

San Antonio is 60% Hispanic, 28% white, 7% black, 3% Asian, and 1.4% other races.

Outside the four major ethnic groups, San Antonio is a hair more diverse than Houston, at 1.4%(Other races) versus 1.3% (Other races)for Houston.

Houston is a bigger city and therefore the ethnic groups and their populations are larger in raw numbers and more apparent giving it a more international feel.

Houston does have more consulate offices than San Antonio, a more cosmopolitan feel, but at a percentage perspective it is not all that more diverse.

Last edited by Paul in S.A TX; Mar 8, 2021 at 3:25 AM.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2021, 1:03 AM

Witte Building (1866) redevelopment Adaptive Re-use Riverwalk. Tiki bar, Asian restaurant, apartments.

https://www.fisherheck.com/witte-bui...de-restoration

https://sanantonioreport.org/hdrc-ap...itte-building/

Old Posted Mar 8, 2021, 1:29 AM

Scobey former storage complex mixed re-development at Cattleman Square district.
https://www.virtualbx.com/constructi...cobey-complex/

Old Posted Mar 8, 2021, 1:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbao58 View Post
I'm really happy to see development on this scale happening in the Pearl/Tobin Hill area. A part of town that I think has tremendous potential.
San Antonio does have a large urban core with a lot historic districts that have finally have been recognized for their urban redevelopment potential. It is exciting to see all these projects take shape.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2021, 3:13 AM

An anticpated new tower fell of the radar during the beginning of Covid. This was approved for construction but it seems this project is now defunct. San Antonio seems to struggle with skyscraper development.

I think Austin should send us some skyscraper building karma down this way.

https://ba-architects.com/#

First design.

Approved design.

https://www.virtualbx.com/constructi...o-rough-start/

Old Posted Mar 8, 2021, 3:15 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Never been a fan of the design approach to this parcel. Hope it passes to a different developer entirely.
SATX: 1435k (+8%) + MSA suburbs: 1124k (+38%) + CSA exurbs: 18k (+11%)
ATX: 962k (+22%) + MSA suburbs: 1322k (+43%)

Old Posted Mar 8, 2021, 4:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in S.A TX View Post
San Antonio seems to struggle with skyscraper development. I think Austin should send us some skyscraper building karma down this way.
Just today I was driving to Downtown on 281 and then around on I-35 or I-10 (both?) to exit on W. Martin Street thinking that one or two tall buildings would make the skyline really nice.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2021, 3:47 AM

Museum Reach loft-River North District

https://www.ksat.com/news/local/2020...-construction/

Old Posted Mar 10, 2021, 4:24 AM

Proposed St. Mary's University School of Law-River North District.

https://sanantonioreport.org/st-mary...wned-property/

Old Posted Mar 10, 2021, 4:53 AM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations