HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Feb 20, 2017, 10:43 AM
heavy user of walkability

catching us up to today with some of the same shots, but different lighting as the Bay Area continues to do its best Pacific Northwest impression...

the Exchange

looking south down Indiana

turning around to view the skyline

the Illinois side of the project near 18th St

skyline from the bayfront again

block 7W

Fourth St

Old Posted Feb 27, 2017, 4:23 AM

the crane is down on block 1

here is the north side along with a shot of a rare raising of the Third St Bridge (for no reason that I could see - no boat was waiting to pass through. might have been practice).

couple other shots from the south. you can see that the hotel still has not started, which at least to me is a mystery

they seem to be working on the east end of Mission Rock St 'behind' the public safety building, so it might be about to finally open to regular traffic (only the fire department has had access, and the eastern end has been blocked off until now)

wider shot

Fourth St from the UCSF end

noticed some grading going on just to the west of the neurosciences building on the UCSF campus. here is ground level...

and from above. (what do we think: corn? wheat? endocrinology?)

here are the regular Rutter views (from yesterday when they were still taking the block 1 crane down)

Last edited by timbad; Feb 27, 2017 at 4:34 AM.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2017, 7:58 AM

the Rutter views. the grading from last week appears to be done

Old Posted Mar 7, 2017, 3:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbad View Post
the Rutter views. the grading from last week appears to be done
The grading is for a new childcare facility. It will still be a temporary building, but will have space for ~275 children instead of the current 85.

A permanent home for the childcare was supposed to be incorporated into one of the other buildings on campus, perhaps the housing that was slated for one block north of there. But with UCSF now focusing on its Minnesota Street properties for housing and not including any childcare there that I've seen, I'm not sure what their long-term plans are for it. Given they're building a new temp facility, they may not be sure either.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2017, 8:20 AM

thanks WildCowboy - how did I know you would have the scoop?

here are the views from today

elsewhere, the Exchange is getting some glass, as can also be seen at its webcam (which for me doesn't work in Safari, just Firefox)

I know, technically Dogpatch, but the northern project on Indiana

I'll throw these in here until Pier 70 has its own thread. it's been kind of bugging me that I've been reading for over a year that the core historic buildings' renovation has been in progress, and, altho there are signs that some work is going on, it doesn't look very significant, and I can't see much evidence that anything has been done. maybe most of the work is internal so far, but I guess I just thought they would be looking a little spiffier by now.

looking east:

back west:

closer-up

this is looking north between two of the buildings

it's also annoying that Crane Cove Park is over a year behind schedule, but I hope the equipment in this shot is some indication of imminent something. grumble grumble.

on a happier note, Parcel P23 across 16th St from the future Chase Center is looking much greener these days:

(you can see the new green patch on the left side of the Chase Center and Warriors Mixed Use #2 view of the site webcam)

Last edited by timbad; Mar 13, 2017 at 8:30 AM. Reason: added Pier 70 pics

Old Posted Mar 20, 2017, 6:28 PM

Looks like Uber wants to consolidate somewhat at Mission Bay...scaling back Oakland expansion plans and instead taking at least half and possibly all of the office space at the Warriors' Chase Center.

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranci...expansion.html

Old Posted Mar 20, 2017, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCowboy View Post
Looks like Uber wants to consolidate somewhat at Mission Bay...scaling back Oakland expansion plans and instead taking at least half and possibly all of the office space at the Warriors' Chase Center.

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranci...expansion.html
Chase Center was really a game changer for Mission Bay. Just like that, Uber is shifting thousands of future workers from their oakland office to Mission Bay.

Doesn't hurt that the Warriors will be practicing at the Chase Center's facilities as well. Definitely adds to the area's cool factor knowing that NBA players may very well be hanging out and possibly living in the condos there.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2017, 7:05 PM

^^I'm not an Uber hater--I'm a fan and regular user in fact. But I'd be careful giving them a big lease of any duration right now. The CEO seems to have gone bonkers, the President quit this morning and there is general turmoil in the executive suite.

Quote:
Two Executives to Leave Uber, Adding to Departures
By MIKE ISAACMARCH 19, 2017

The number of executive departures from Uber is growing.

Jeff Jones, Uber’s president of ride sharing, has left the company after just six months, Uber said on Sunday. In addition, Brian McClendon, vice president of maps and business platform at Uber, also plans to leave at the end of the month.

The two men are exiting Uber under very different circumstances. Mr. Jones, who was poached from Target to be Uber’s No. 2 executive, resigned after the ride-sharing company’s chief, Travis Kalanick, said he needed leadership help and began a search for a chief operating officer.

Mr. McClendon is departing amicably from Uber and will be an adviser to the company. In a statement, he said he was moving back to Kansas, where he is from, to explore politics . . . .

The departures add to the executive exodus from Uber this year. Raffi Krikorian, a well-regarded director in Uber’s self-driving division, left the company last week, while Gary Marcus, who joined Uber in December after Uber acquired his company, left this month. Uber also asked for the resignation of Amit Singhal, a top engineer who failed to disclose a sexual harassment claim against him at his previous employer, Google, before joining Uber. And Ed Baker, another senior executive, left this month as well . . . .
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/19/b...dent.html?_r=0

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 7:36 AM

and, speak of the devil...

looking north

and west

another look at parcel P23 getting greener

here is its sister P24, just to its south

the northern project on Indiana has lost some more scaffolding

before the sun came out on Saturday. you can see more of the new roadway has been poured at the western end of the future Commons

closer look at the poured sections of Mission Bay Blvd

and

Old Posted Mar 26, 2017, 5:24 AM

walking along Mission Bay Blvd North next to the new block 7 is a fairly pleasant experience. looking west...

and east

initial work does seem to be underway at Crane Cove Park

it appears the work will include demolition of this small wood building along Illinois St, so this is something of a 'before' pic

the Rutter views

close-up of the western end of the Commons. looks like they have sculpted the terrain in the little rounded patch at the end

Last edited by timbad; Mar 26, 2017 at 5:55 AM. Reason: added last Crane Cove pic

Old Posted Apr 1, 2017, 7:04 PM

should probably throw this in here

Quote:
...next week, a Request for Proposals (RFP) to build around 120 furnished studios for currently homeless and extremely low-income households (below 30 percent of the Area Median) on Mission Bay Block 9 – which is bounded by Mission Rock Street to the north, the future Bridgeview Way to the east, China Basin Street to the south, and San Francisco’s new Public Safety Building to the west – should be released and publicized by the City’s Office of Community Investment and Infrastructure (OCII).

Old Posted Apr 1, 2017, 8:33 PM

^^Glad they are building the homeless housing with a good waterfront view and proximity to the brewpub or whatever they're putting on the piers.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2017, 7:02 AM

more looks at parcels P23...

... and P24, finally looking like it is making steady progress

Crane Cove Park. having this done is going to be huge for MB/Dogpatch

the Exchange

the Rutter views. they seem to be in pause on the Commons roads, but UCSF infrastructure work continues in the foreground

Last edited by timbad; Apr 2, 2017 at 7:39 AM.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2017, 1:05 AM

kitty-corner from parcel P23 and up the street from Crane Cove Park, the bayfront park (aka parcel P22) across the street from the future Chase Center got a blurb at socketsite today

Old Posted Apr 8, 2017, 6:32 AM

^^A permanent surface parking lot?

Old Posted Apr 8, 2017, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
^^A permanent surface parking lot?
I think so, if you mean the parcel to the north of the bayfront park (a parcel annoyingly also prefixed with a 'P' which normally seems to indicate the other kind of 'park', as in green). that parking lot has been shown as 'complete' for years on maps (since before I moved to the area in 2007), and I've always assumed it was negotiated with the yacht club that it sits in front of, tho I actually have no idea.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 6:52 AM

work has seemingly been paused on the north side of the new Channel St for some weeks now, though this morning I could hear what sounded like activity from that direction on my walk to the train. this is what it looked like on Saturday, when nothing was going on

the streets at the west end of the future Commons have been paved

the work that UCSF is doing on the underground infrastructure of its remaining northern parcels is opening up some views as vegetation and sometimes fencing is cleared/moved

and in the Rutter views you can see faint hints of more of the future layout of MB as that work proceeds (and more of the old grid being erased)

the Exchange

the northern project on Indiana

close-up

the Exchange starting to nudge its way in front of the skyline

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 1:55 PM

UCSF should be starting construction on its Precision Cancer Medicine Building on the southwest corner of 16th and 3rd in the next few weeks. When it opens in spring 2019, it will complete phase 1 of the hospital block.

https://www.ucsf.edu/cgr/cgr-project...icine-building
http://space.ucsf.edu/precision-canc...icine-building

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCowboy View Post
UCSF should be starting construction on its Precision Cancer Medicine Building on the southwest corner of 16th and 3rd in the next few weeks.
Precision Cancer Medicine . . . I find the words jaw dropping compared to "cancer medicine" in the 1970s when I first studied it. There was not much precise about it.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2017, 4:05 AM

KTVU reports that SF Unified voted to approve building the new elementary school in Mission Bay last night. 'within 5 years', according to the report. this would be on the parcel just to the south of the roundabout in the western end of MB, at the extreme NW corner of the UCSF section.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development