HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Yesterday, 8:44 PM

Really cool about that Garden Court addition being built. I wish they were taking down that laundromat and other one story stuff on 48th street, but hopefully that'll get done in a future addition.

Really excited about the Parkway redesign and Calder Museum, er Sanctuary. I remember getting really excited about it when it was originally proposed 15 or so years ago and then it fell through. His heirs seemed to look down on a Philly museum then in published comments, but I'm glad they changed their mind. Really excited to see the design of it. We need more A+ architecture in this city. The Parkway design is another one that has been kicking around for decades. I recall seeing an intriguing proposal to make Eakins oval into a proper square with crossings at each corner. I hope they go big with the redesign.

Edit: just clicked on the Calder link posted above and that this is the article from last year announcing the project. It's still slated for a 2021 groundbreaking according to the museum's website and the article about the Parkway redesign, but no news about the project.

Old Posted Yesterday, 8:46 PM

Mixed-use building going up at 18th & Fairmount

Originally posted here:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/grea...elphiaplanners

Old Posted Yesterday, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfish View Post
I agree that this is another really good development and the area can really use more density. However I would be hesitant that the neighborhood could be "something" "eventually". The neighborhood for decades has been a center for Philadelphia's Puerto Rican community and I fear that gentrification spilling over from Fishtown will erase that. I am by no means anti development because this location is near the El so can be very dense and adding housing units can actually stabalize rising rents. I wish there could be a way to strengthen the Puerto Rican community while adding the density.
Totally get that! If you haven't check out the guys over at Sunflower Philly on 5th and Cecil B. Great little community spot. The guys there have coordinated some great community clean-up days and events. Also introduced me to some great Puerto Rican food. Love the cultural vibes they give off, and hope they can really become an anchor point for that area.

Old Posted Yesterday, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin7 View Post
Oh fuck off.
In the 50s and 60s, if these guys lived in NYC, they would have been anti-Jane Jacobs and pro-Robert Moses.

Inga has been an amazing resource for this city. She has educated people and facilitated the conversation about what good development entails. Of course she's not always "right" (they're opinion pieces anyway). But before her, for the longest time, ALL new development in Philadelphia was built with a suburban sensibility.

For years, the attitude was take what you can get. No more.

Old Posted Today, 12:46 AM
Exhausted Drexel Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
In the 50s and 60s, if these guys lived in NYC, they would have been anti-Jane Jacobs and pro-Robert Moses.

Inga has been an amazing resource for this city. She has educated people and facilitated the conversation about what good development entails. Of course she's not always "right" (they're opinion pieces anyway). But before her, for the longest time, ALL new development in Philadelphia was built with a suburban sensibility.

For years, the attitude was take what you can get. No more.
I don't think that's a very fair comparison. Just because I don't agree with every take Inga has shouldn't mean that I would agree with someone who, rather infamously, nearly completely destroyed the urban fabric of New York City, and demolished some of the best buildings to have ever been built in this country.

You don't have to be NIMBY to appreciate preservation, just as you don't have to be YIMBY to appreciate development. These things aren't mutually exclusive.

FWIW I fully agree with you that the development in question is much better for the NE than Bridgeman's would have ever been.

Old Posted Today, 2:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
There may have been a much more mature way of handling that, no?
I think I responded with an appropriate level of maturity. The Inga bashing on this forum is gross. Make an adult criticism and I'll respond with more maturity.

FWIW, "I agree! She has bad takes!" isn't a statement worth the time it takes to type. Be specific or keep it to yourself.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development