HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 10:03 PM
Mr. Technology

There’s an emoji that reflects this design.
I wish SSP would support emojis.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2018, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
Are we sure this is the final cladding design here?

Seems like we love to bash before things are done around here.

Just a little?
In person it seems very clear that it is. I've never seen shiny insulation panels that sit perfectly flush with the windows.

If there is something more to the facade which seems unlikely considering how much is finished, we can all comment on how much better it turned out than we thought. But patience seems appropriate if you're trying to overall call a building a failure before you've seen the finished project. I mean, I still don't think there has been a single shot from ground level near this building that shows how it meets the street. So I get refraining from overall impressions, but the upper portion of the facade is seemingly 90 percent complete and it looks remarkably bad. I don't see any reason why we wouldn't discuss that.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2018, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
This morning:

Reminds me of Pennsylvania's ugliest building:

The American Water building does look very good though.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2018, 4:41 PM
Midtowner since 2K

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechTalkGuy View Post
There’s an emoji that reflects this design.
I wish SSP would support emojis.
The emoticons on the site are pretty neat in themselves, there's enough to give a range of moods.

This building hopefully will have a more greyed out façade...the current hue would make this look post modern in a bad way.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2018, 4:56 PM

[QUOTE=Urbanthusiat;8278354]Reminds me of Pennsylvania's ugliest building:

But the afterbirth in Camden still takes the prize .

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralLeeTPHLS View Post
The emoticons on the site are pretty neat in themselves, there's enough to give a range of moods.

This building hopefully will have a more greyed out façade...the current hue would make this look post modern in a bad way.
Guys,

I actually have a boat and was able to get up close to that building on Saturday. I clicked a pic (will upload later) and I can tell you with certainty, that facade is not permanent. It looks like plywood or something.

I'll try to get the pic up a bit later ..

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 12:35 PM
build awesome buildings

Quote:
Guys,

I actually have a boat and was able to get up close to that building on Saturday. I clicked a pic (will upload later) and I can tell you with certainty, that facade is not permanent. It looks like plywood or something.

Thanks for the confirmation.

This yellow color has been around since the very start of the facade installation, so I'm not surprised that this only temporary. I would imagine Liberty knows better than to put up a bumble bee building as their initial statement piece in Camden.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Guys,

Anxiously awaiting this Pic. I was within a block or so and my impression was it was definitely permanent. It seems pretty crazy they'd cover the whole facade in plywood and the final glass portion of the facade and then attach the rest of the permanent facade at a later date. Seems very inefficient. Maybe the production on the panels is delayed. It's the only thing I can think of that would cause them to do it this way.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertown View Post
Anxiously awaiting this Pic. I was within a block or so and my impression was it was definitely permanent. It seems pretty crazy they'd cover the whole facade in plywood and the final glass portion of the facade and then attach the permanent facade at a later date.
Further, it looks like perfect fit including the corners, which would mean custom temporary wooden panels - seems odd.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2018, 12:22 AM

The view from the east side of City Hall taken 8/20/2018:

Old Posted Aug 21, 2018, 3:10 AM

Wow Market St. is jumping . Street activity that is .

Old Posted Aug 24, 2018, 1:22 PM

The view from Columbus Blvd. north of the BFB:

Old Posted Aug 25, 2018, 2:24 PM

Quote:
Anxiously awaiting this Pic. I was within a block or so and my impression was it was definitely permanent. It seems pretty crazy they'd cover the whole facade in plywood and the final glass portion of the facade and then attach the rest of the permanent facade at a later date. Seems very inefficient. Maybe the production on the panels is delayed. It's the only thing I can think of that would cause them to do it this way.
I ride PATCO every day and the yellow panels are clearly temporary in my opinion. I can actually see diagonal writing on them like they are some sort of temporary construction material or a sticker on top of something else. They also don't look flush with the glass to my eyes.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2018, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mPhilly View Post
I ride PATCO every day and the yellow panels are clearly temporary in my opinion. I can actually see diagonal writing on them like they are some sort of temporary construction material or a sticker on top of something else. They also don't look flush with the glass to my eyes.
Could you imagine the man hours it would take to remove the facade or plywood or sticker material. Doesn't make sense. I think it's permanent and intended to be conspicuous. This is why it's positioned so you can see it from Philly's Market St. Unless it's some kind of shrink wrap like on the new Comcast building.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2018, 10:17 PM
Philly Rising Up!

^
This and the Eastern Tower in Chinatown are in the same ugly class.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2018, 12:58 PM
build awesome buildings

I saw this yesterday afternoon and it appears there is some sort of metal striping going up over the yellow paneling. Didn’t get a pic, but it looked like potentially a track for mounting something.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2018, 1:45 PM
Ex Houstonian

Wow, that is one damned ugly building, looks straight out of 1986.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2018, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquizative View Post
Could you imagine the man hours it would take to remove the facade or plywood or sticker material. Doesn't make sense. I think it's permanent and intended to be conspicuous. This is why it's positioned so you can see it from Philly's Market St. Unless it's some kind of shrink wrap like on the new Comcast building.
I think it is actually a type of insulation or rainscreen system over which the final facade treatment will be installed. Similar to all those new residential developments that have the green sheathing installed before the actual facade treatment is installed. What Dude said about the metal track is exactly what you would expect if what I'm saying is right.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2018, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjPhilly View Post
I think it is actually a type of insulation or rainscreen system over which the final facade treatment will be installed. Similar to all those new residential developments that have the green sheathing installed before the actual facade treatment is installed. What Dude said about the metal track is exactly what you would expect if what I'm saying is right.
Yes I've actually changed my opinion on this. Went to the Aquarium again this weekend and both while on patco and in front of aquarium, i could also see the tracks others are talking about. I tried to take a photo but I couldn't get them to show up. I would have walked closer but I was with a 1 year old.

It is definitely weird they've nearly sheathed the entire building in glass before they put up a single panel, but there must be production issues. I'm very confident now that this orange color is not final.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2018, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Yes I've actually changed my opinion on this. Went to the Aquarium again this weekend and both while on patco and in front of aquarium, i could also see the tracks others are talking about. I tried to take a photo but I couldn't get them to show up. I would have walked closer but I was with a 1 year old.

It is definitely weird they've nearly sheathed the entire building in glass before they put up a single panel, but there must be production issues. I'm very confident now that this orange color is not final.
Yeah. I got close on a boat but the picture didn't really show the detail.

This is NOT the final facade.

imho...

Last edited by Redddog; Aug 27, 2018 at 4:59 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive