HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Aug 19, 2021, 1:15 PM
Riki beach

^^Superbe, merci !

Old Posted Aug 19, 2021, 2:39 PM

Stunning pictures and beautiful landscapes. Thanks for sharing those.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2021, 10:48 PM

Old Posted Sep 9, 2021, 2:01 AM
菠蘿油

Those Charlevoix photos are great. I spent two days there in July (would have been longer but most places were fully booked!) and I wasn't expecting it to be just so beautiful. Petite-Rivière-Saint-François, where the last photo was taken, is such a picture-perfect village I didn't want to leave.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2021, 7:10 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

northern manitoba

Old Posted Sep 9, 2021, 9:53 PM

I do like getting out for the Northern Lights. However I have slept through the last few alerts. Nice shots though.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2021, 8:20 PM

Here is a nice video of Montmorency Falls, in winter. The river turns into a playground. Enjoy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNgkQ17Fa04

Old Posted Oct 4, 2021, 1:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboy View Post
I do like getting out for the Northern Lights. However I have slept through the last few alerts. Nice shots though.
What do you use to get Northern Lights alerts? And how accurate are they? My kids have been telling me that they want to see the lights but I don't want to just wake up randomly at 2 am in hopes that they might be visible!

Old Posted Oct 4, 2021, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
What do you use to get Northern Lights alerts? And how accurate are they? My kids have been telling me that they want to see the lights but I don't want to just wake up randomly at 2 am in hopes that they might be visible!
The U of Alberta Watch
has a good alert system.
And the app Aurora Notifier. (Paid site).

Old Posted Oct 4, 2021, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboy View Post
The U of Alberta Watch
has a good alert system.
And the app Aurora Notifier. (Paid site).
Thank you!

Old Posted Oct 4, 2021, 5:09 PM

Lots of pics of Sandbanks in the summer, but I haven't been there at that time in 25 years. Happened to be there yesterday in the rain. Saturday would have been better and people I'm sure would have been swimming in the shallow water, which quickly drops off.

Odd to see a washed up pike and sunfish next to each other.

And damn, it was $21 to go in! Which was basically to park.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2021, 12:53 PM
Cap the Cut!

McNab's October 2021 by AJ Forsythe, on Flickr

McNab's Island, Halifax Harbour, October 2021

Old Posted Oct 24, 2021, 1:52 PM
Cap the Cut!

Old Posted Nov 23, 2021, 3:53 AM

Our second Gulf Island visit wasto Salt Spring Island, which is the largest of all the island and by far the most populous with 10,557 full-time residents.

Direct ferry connection from Tsawwassen terminal takes 1.5 hours to reach the island. It was a beautiful day to make the journey across the windy Strait of Georgia.

Beautiful evening in Ganges harbour.

Next day set on foot to explore Ganges which is the main village on the island. It's a sleepy little village in the morning, but gets busier as the day goes on.

You can find all necessary services in Ganges and there are several restaurants and cafes to enjoy.

One of the main sights on Salt Spring Island is the famous Saturday Market which can have over 200 stalls during the busiest summer months. It was way less busy now in October but still a good place to spend a lazy morning.

Almost everything being sold is locally produced and people actually do buy their groceries from there.

The village has gotten its name from HMS Ganges, a British frigate that sailed these seas in the late 1800s.

Float plane traffic between the island and Vancouver is very busy and no wonder, as it is a short 20-minute flight between the two. There are even seasonal flights to Seattle from here.

Most people live outside of the village and around the island. There is a surprisingly extensive road network to explore with some amazing vistas.

Community farm stands like this are a very common sight and there are dozens of them, selling anything from items to vegetables, to baked goods. They all work based on a trust system, with the money box just sitting there.

There are altogether three ferry terminals on the island and Fulford Harbour is the one connecting the island with the City of Victoria.

Ruckle Provincial Park has some nice trails and is worth checking out.

While there, the park is next to Henry Ruckle's old farm which is one of the oldest same family-run farms in British Columbia, since 1872. The old main building is now a museum about life back in those days.

It being Thanksgiving Eve that we were there, it was funny to see the dinner take one last stroll around the farm.

Hastings House is a luxurious boutique hotel and fine dining restaurant worth a visit.

On our voyage back home the weather was again terrific.

This time we had a stopover on Mayne Island, which is another island for us to explore another day! Several other ferries connect at this terminal.

At the end of the day Salt Spring Island may not have that much to see, but one can spend a nice long weekend there enjoying a slow and relaxed pace and some good food. Definitely another highly recommended destination so near to Metro Vancouver!

Old Posted Nov 23, 2021, 4:13 AM

Amazing Saltspring Island photo set, I am ashamed I haven't been yet, despite living here for so many years. Maybe in the spring!

Old Posted Nov 23, 2021, 6:12 AM
Volatile Pacivist

BC has some really incredible landscapes. The Mount Cypress set is one of my favourites I've ever seen on the forum.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2021, 4:15 PM

been a while since I was on Saltz Spring.

Have been to Gambier a few times to a friends place. Not as habituated but a beautiful stop. I try to explore the different islands when I go out for a week or more. I guess Saltz spring will be on this years trip.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2021, 5:14 PM
Fake News

Love those Sask badlands pics! Which part of the province is that? Looks like AB's badlands.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada