HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 6:06 PM

Excited for this one! Will add some well deserved density to that corner of downtown

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 9:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
Hadn't noticed previously, but it looks as though Riverside is leasing out the penthouse level as an office space.......I'd assumed this was just an elevator penthouse, as is typical in most/all of the other downtown Buck/Goettsch and Riverside/Goettsch office towers.....
Well most office buildings for that matter. Apparently in this building the penthouse is extra tall and the mechanical space will actually start on the next floor up. Someone must have realized this could be a very unique space with an outdoor terrace and views across green roofs in both directions. This penthouse office also has one bay of two story high ceilings on the north end which should make it an especially signature space for some tenant.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2019, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoboZill4 View Post
Noticed the crane was just poking up above along Wacker while at the Sox game today

This and WPS will have nice infill from the South
This angle might be better for showing the tower's position from the west. It will be to the left of River Point (and 222 S Riverside) in this view, as it is just on the other side of Canal.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2019, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron38 View Post
This angle might be better for showing the tower's position from the west. It will be to the left of River Point (and 222 S Riverside) in this view, as it is just on the other side of Canal.
From my 3D model:

Old Posted Jul 11, 2019, 4:20 AM

cool

that spot can easily swallow a tower like this

Old Posted Jul 11, 2019, 6:42 AM

Thats going to fill in that area very well. Hopefully bringing some neighbors at that height.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2019, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
Parking garage demo scheduled to begin 1st or 2nd week of October.
Just saw the sign that Dunkin Donuts located there closes next month and came to check. Walking around over there this afternoon made me realize what a huge impact this building is going to have on the sw loop. Plus the OPO... going to be a big transformation.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2019, 8:59 PM
you know where I'll be

^ Indeed. I am incredibly bullish on the SW Loop. Talk about incredible untapped potential. The fundamentals are as solid as they get.

My bet is that this is going to further turbocharge not only development in the immediate 2-3 block radius, but also extend south along the river and give a big shot in the arm to Southbank, Riverline, and, yes, the 78.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2019, 11:20 PM

Amazing renderings there rgarri!!!

Old Posted Sep 3, 2019, 11:25 PM

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 1:01 AM
BANNED

Good news for the new tower, but bad news for another old loop building, like the Art Deco gem BofA is moving out of. Sounds kind of Nimby of me, but I worry the beautiful Deco towers in the Loop that could fall into disrepair. It’s hard to imagine the effort it’ll take to lease 800k sq feet if that kind of space is no longer appealing to law firms.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 1:37 AM

^ Well there is alot of talk about alot of startup technology companies taking space in the loop so maybe alot of these buildings that law firms left can be filled up by many smaller tenants

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 3:17 AM

Actually O'Donnell stole both of his tenants for the Union Station tower from 111 W Monroe, the old Harris Bank Building which is an MCM gem. I would be concerned that this could mean problems for that structure and hopefully doesn't attract any yahoos looking to do radical renovations and dismantle original features of this beauty.

That's gotta sting to have someone like O'Donnell come in and poach two of your biggest tenants for the same project. O'Donnell has been dominant lately. Hopefully that means they can get started on some of the components of their project on Chicago soon. I certainly think O'Donnell has a better chance of getting going on that than Sterling Bay has of landing office tenants up in Lincoln Yards.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 5:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Actually O'Donnell stole both of his tenants for the Union Station tower from 111 W Monroe, the old Harris Bank Building which is an MCM gem. I would be concerned that this could mean problems for that structure and hopefully doesn't attract any yahoos looking to do radical renovations and dismantle original features of this beauty.

That's gotta sting to have someone like O'Donnell come in and poach two of your biggest tenants for the same project. O'Donnell has been dominant lately. Hopefully that means they can get started on some of the components of their project on Chicago soon. I certainly think O'Donnell has a better chance of getting going on that than Sterling Bay has of landing office tenants up in Lincoln Yards.
Right? The mid century moderns seem to be easier targets for 'improvements' to their facades. The Realtors Building is a prime example - fubar.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 7:21 AM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyy View Post
Excited for this one! Will add some well deserved density to that corner of downtown
Density but still a boring rehash. I would have preferred a straight up box to this clone from a building only blocks away.
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 2:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomrQT View Post
Density but still a boring rehash. I would have preferred a straight up box to this clone from a building only blocks away.
I guess I see them as continuing a theme than clones. There are so many differences between the towers that I think will become more apparent once both are completed. There's certainly more variation than between many Mies or SOM designs.

Here's just a comparison of some parts:

110 N Wacker
  1. 814 ft tall
  2. 275' x 138' trapezoid with 5 cell stepped core
  3. Single setback at the 26th floor
  4. Stepped/serrated west facade, flat east facade with glass fins
  5. Minor reentrant corners at all 4 corners
  6. 3 part trident columns at base with round cladding on west side, vertical round columns on east side that terminate in a horizontal band visually supporting the tower
  7. Glass lobby on east with cable wall flush with tower facade, expressed core on west
  8. Penthouse is setback on the north and south sides and not on the east and west sides and follows the building footprint

Union Station Tower
  1. 715 ft tall
  2. 288' x 135' rectangle with 4 cell rectangular core
  3. Two setbacks at the 17th and 32nd floor
  4. Folded east and west facades with expressed column covers
  5. Large reentrant corners at the north facade, recessed center bay and folded facade on the south facade
  6. V columns that split into two additional Vs with hexagon cladding on both east and west sides that are integrated into the tower facade
  7. Lobby on east with glass fin wall set back from tower facade with free-form glass enclosure wrapping west side of core
  8. Penthouse setback on the east, west, and north sides and not on the south side and has a folded facade that is different from the main building facade

In addition I believe the two towers will be different colors. I understand the Union Station Tower is aiming for a silver tint to the glass.

So they are both predominantly glass buildings with north facing setbacks and converging columns at the base, but they have different massing and different detailing. I actually think that the Union Station Tower will be the more interesting of the two.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 3:15 PM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned.B View Post
I guess I see them as continuing a theme than clones. There are so many differences between the towers that I think will become more apparent once both are completed. There's certainly more variation than between many Mies or SOM designs.

Here's just a comparison of some parts:

110 N Wacker
  1. 814 ft tall
  2. 275' x 138' trapezoid with 5 cell stepped core
  3. Single setback at the 26th floor
  4. Stepped/serrated west facade, flat east facade with glass fins
  5. Minor reentrant corners at all 4 corners
  6. 3 part trident columns at base with round cladding on west side, vertical round columns on east side that terminate in a horizontal band visually supporting the tower
  7. Glass lobby on east with cable wall flush with tower facade, expressed core on west
  8. Penthouse is setback on the north and south sides and not on the east and west sides and follows the building footprint

Union Station Tower
  1. 715 ft tall
  2. 288' x 135' rectangle with 4 cell rectangular core
  3. Two setbacks at the 17th and 32nd floor
  4. Folded east and west facades with expressed column covers
  5. Large reentrant corners at the north facade, recessed center bay and folded facade on the south facade
  6. V columns that split into two additional Vs with hexagon cladding on both east and west sides that are integrated into the tower facade
  7. Lobby on east with glass fin wall set back from tower facade with free-form glass enclosure wrapping west side of core
  8. Penthouse setback on the east, west, and north sides and not on the south side and has a folded facade that is different from the main building facade

In addition I believe the two towers will be different colors. I understand the Union Station Tower is aiming for a silver tint to the glass.

So they are both predominantly glass buildings with north facing setbacks and converging columns at the base, but they have different massing and different detailing. I actually think that the Union Station Tower will be the more interesting of the two.
That's a fair (and extremely detailed) assessment. I can buy into the concept of styles permeating across a city. Perhaps maybe this just isn't a style I appreciate much so I didn't notice those variances.
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 7:45 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
I certainly think O'Donnell has a better chance of getting going on that than Sterling Bay has of landing office tenants up in Lincoln Yards.

I would certainly think so. LY makes precious little sense for any office of scale.

Open question: Anyone hear what the timeline looks like for the Union Station hotel? Have not heard much about it recently....

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
Open question: Anyone hear what the timeline looks like for the Union Station hotel? Have not heard much about it recently....
I don't know about actual timeline, but I've heard it's not moving anywhere fast. I believe it hasn't made it past the Amtrak-developer negotiation phase yet.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 6:03 PM

Union Station parking garage closing

The 700-spot parking structure will permanently close on September 30, according to Amtrak spokesman Marc Magliari.

Amtrak is selling the property under the structure a block south of the station to make way for a 50-story office building, which will be called BMO Tower. BMO Financial Group will anchor the planned 700-foot-tall structure.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/busin...hwq-story.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive