HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlidellWx View Post
I think the word is getting out in the tech world now that we have DXC Technology, Accruent, GE Digital, and Indian tech company iMerit here. Local startups Lucid and Zlien are also growing like crazy. Lucid now has offices in London, Guragon, India, NYC, and Sydney. They will also be opening a Sao Paulo office. Zlien has offices in Austin and Cairo now. There are also several smaller tech and gaming companies with offices here. All together, it paints a good picture for any outside firms looking to open an office.
Lucid is now Ft. Worth based, right?

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 2:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolafan View Post
Lucid is now Ft. Worth based, right?
Are you thinking Smoothie King? Lucid (once Federated Sample) took over the Times-Picayune HQ space in Canal Place and remains based here.

iSeatz, Turbosquid, and Revelry Labs are a couple of other successful NOLA tech companies. We've also seen a a couple game developers move to town, and small outposts for Performance Software and Smashing Boxes. It's good to see our incentives turning into real momentum, but it would be still be nice to attract more diverse corporate offices. If one had to choose just one industry to attract for the future, however, it would be tech...

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 2:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenderOz View Post
Are you thinking Smoothie King? Lucid (once Federated Sample) took over the Times-Picayune HQ space in Canal Place and remains based here.

iSeatz, Turbosquid, and Revelry Labs are a couple of other successful NOLA tech companies. We've also seen a a couple game developers move to town, and small outposts for Performance Software and Smashing Boxes. It's good to see our incentives turning into real momentum, but it would be still be nice to attract more diverse corporate offices. If one had to choose just one industry to attract for the future, however, it would be tech...
Lucid website says Ft. Worth, Texas...

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 2:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolafan View Post
Lucid website says Ft. Worth, Texas...
Wrong company. You're looking at Lucid Technologies. Here's Lucid's site: https://luc.id/contact-us/

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenderOz View Post

It would be very nice to attract some new corporate offices. I really wish we can hear of a rumor or something just for the excitment lol.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee32 View Post
It would be very nice to attract some new corporate offices. I really wish we can hear of a rumor or something just for the excitment lol.
It is surprising to me that more large companies from San Fran or NYC etc dont have a lot of their "back of house" staff like accountants and compliance located in cities like NO. Between LSU and Tulane there are a lot of top notch accounting graduates every year and you can pay them 30% less in NO then you would in San Fran or NYC. Just my thoughts anyway.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 4:20 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickapedia View Post
It is surprising to me that more large companies from San Fran or NYC etc dont have a lot of their "back of house" staff like accountants and compliance located in cities like NO. Between LSU and Tulane there are a lot of top notch accounting graduates every year and you can pay them 30% less in NO then you would in San Fran or NYC. Just my thoughts anyway.
Thats definitely the cities goal to attract and i think some of recent announcements would suggest more of that is likely ... def would like to see we work set up here too

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
Thats definitely the cities goal to attract and i think some of recent announcements would suggest more of that is likely ... def would like to see we work set up here too
It seems that a lot of those operations are being shifted to suburban locations in places like Dallas and Atlanta. Some sort of office park/new urbanist developments in places like the old Lake Forest Plaza, Elmwood, Gentilly, etc. would probably be more attractive than the CBD for those types of back office operations. Lower housing, parking, and real estate costs, but still near the attractions of the city, airport and so on.

One thing I often wonder is how much all of the festivals, parades, etc. have a negative impact on the CBD's attractiveness for offices. If the operations are critical to keep the business running, I imagine they wouldn't want to be in an area that often has limited accessibility.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 5:37 PM
NOLA Razorback

Quote:
Originally Posted by prokowave View Post
It seems that a lot of those operations are being shifted to suburban locations in places like Dallas and Atlanta. Some sort of office park/new urbanist developments in places like the old Lake Forest Plaza, Elmwood, Gentilly, etc. would probably be more attractive than the CBD for those types of back office operations. Lower housing, parking, and real estate costs, but still near the attractions of the city, airport and so on.

One thing I often wonder is how much all of the festivals, parades, etc. have a negative impact on the CBD's attractiveness for offices. If the operations are critical to keep the business running, I imagine they wouldn't want to be in an area that often has limited accessibility.
I really cant imagine it being that big a deal. Just have an office closer to the interstate and not st charles. All that land on Loyola or around charity would be perfect places for office towers if that is a concern because they're right off the interstate and 5+ blocks from a parade route

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjslonaker View Post
I really cant imagine it being that big a deal. Just have an office closer to the interstate and not st charles. All that land on Loyola or around charity would be perfect places for office towers if that is a concern because they're right off the interstate and 5+ blocks from a parade route
I don't know if it is or not, but certainly building a high-rise office tower in those areas would be a lot more expensive than a suburban building, especially when factoring parking. CBD residential rents are not cheap either, so I think it we are talking lower to average paying office jobs, then a lot of people would be commuting in. I think part of our disadvantage is that we don't have as much in terms of lower cost, but nice suburbs. I think Jefferson Parish has potential, but needs to reduce concrete, strip malls, and rundown housing, and improve landscaping and walkability.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 7:19 PM
-

1800 Canal St·Renovation (Non-Structural) · Ref Code: MRU8XL
Print Summary Submit Add to Watch List
Type:
Renovation (Non-Structural)
Applicant:
Alison Rex
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
10/2/2018
Closed:
No
Description
Interior renovation of former dwelling unit into 9-room boutique hotel, per plans

1111 Tulane Ave·Renovation (Non-Structural) · Ref Code: PZZQY1
Print Summary Submit Add to Watch List
Type:
Renovation (Non-Structural)
Applicant:
Marc Robert
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
9/20/2018
Closed:
No
Description
Build out of an existing tenant space, with a mezzanine, into a wine bar that also sells wine by the bottle. There will not be a kitchen.

Nice to see the bottom of this building getting a tenant.

4866 Tchoupitoulas St·New Construction · Ref Code: GLMY0Q
Download (18) Print Summary Submit Add to Watch List
Type:
New Construction
Applicant:
Jared Ducote
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
7/13/2018
Closed:
No
Description
The Work consists of a new, 3-story, freestanding self-storage facility (containing approximately 123,249 SF conditioned space total), and associated site improvements

Last edited by tennis1400; Oct 2, 2018 at 7:49 PM.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 9:18 PM
NOLA Razorback

Charity Update

1532 Tulane Partners gets nod for Charity Hospital redevelopment

https://www.theadvocate.com/new_orle...ampaign=buffer

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 9:37 PM
-

Quote:

Interesting ... not surprised after talking to my neighbors and no one was contacted by HRI about buying our properties etc. also the hri due diligence was 12 months ... way too long if you asked me!

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 9:37 PM

Quote:

I preferred this option!

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 9:40 PM

Quote:

Glad to see that they were chosen over the other group which was depending on a lot of public money. Really wish they could have pitched that area to Apple for its second headquarters but hey I’m very excited about what this group is going to do to redevelop old Charity. 💯🙌🏾

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 10:10 PM
-

Quote:
Glad to see that they were chosen over the other group which was depending on a lot of public money. Really wish they could have pitched that area to Apple for its second headquarters but hey I’m very excited about what this group is going to do to redevelop old Charity. ������������������
I think also pushing the city hall option just really complicated HRIs proposal... this other proposal while smaller in size seems much more feasible to do and without requiring as much public funds... the creation of the TIF district will catalyze the rest of the area to develop.. its already developing right now so no need to overthink it and complicate the redevelopment of the actual building itself

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Anyone know anything about the last phase of the south Market District development? Will it be another apartment tower or condos, or will we finally see some mixed use apartments and office?
I hope and when I look back at it everything they built they doubled the height of the building it went from 7 to 15 (+1floor) then 15 to 29 (-1 floor) so from what I’m getting at, is that the next building will be double the floor count of the Odeon ( +1 floor ) so 61 floors, and I have also noticed that Domain companie likes to have there building at odd number in floor count so what I’m hoping for is a 61 or 59 story building and with that it would be the tallest building in New Orleans and in Louisiana. Now that is what I think and I hope it comes true.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 1:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeau View Post
I hope and when I look back at it everything they built they doubled the height of the building it went from 7 to 15 (+1floor) then 15 to 29 (-1 floor) so from what I’m getting at, is that the next building will be double the floor count of the Odeon ( +1 floor ) so 61 floors, and I have also noticed that Domain companie likes to have there building at odd number in floor count so what I’m hoping for is a 61 or 59 story building and with that it would be the tallest building in New Orleans and in Louisiana. Now that is what I think and I hope it comes true.
That would be awesome to have A new tallest tower and to add to our skyline. I would hope it would be mostly glass.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 2:56 PM

It'll be interesting to see what ends up being done with the Plaza Tower. It's designed for office+residential or hotel, so if they could find a big tenant to lease the lower levels, that could really boost the district. I'd be surprised to see anything new higher than 40 floors in that area though. There's also a decent sized lot across from the Plaza Tower that's ripe for development.

There's also a prime lot, I assume owned by the city, next to the UPT. I love to see the city develop it and use the revenue as a match to help get Baton Rouge rail service going. Maybe it'll finally happen with the state in better shape financially and if it does, a hotel next to the station would do well.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 3:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prokowave View Post
It'll be interesting to see what ends up being done with the Plaza Tower. It's designed for office+residential or hotel, so if they could find a big tenant to lease the lower levels, that could really boost the district. I'd be surprised to see anything new higher than 40 floors in that area though. There's also a decent sized lot across from the Plaza Tower that's ripe for development.

There's also a prime lot, I assume owned by the city, next to the UPT. I love to see the city develop it and use the revenue as a match to help get Baton Rouge rail service going. Maybe it'll finally happen with the state in better shape financially and if it does, a hotel next to the station would do well.
The state is in better shape financially?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations