HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Dec 9, 2022, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
the other big issue is asians have been targeted for attacks and beatings during covid. of course the perception is worse, but that will turn a dem red.
The anti-Asian rhetoric was coming from the political right, so not sure why Dems should have paid a political price for that. Never heard a Dem politician say "the China flu"...

Old Posted Dec 9, 2022, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
The anti-Asian rhetoric was coming from the political right, so not sure why Dems should have paid a political price for that. Never heard a Dem politician say "the China flu"...
Right, this is so frustrating. The GOP plays a masterclass and the Dems look like a busted clown car. It's amazing that a party that demonizes minorities and education and glorifies violence has somehow become the party of protecting their safety, education and civil rights, and even weirder that a SCOTUS case about whether private colleges have the right to set their own admissions standards has somehow become an effective GOP talking point. The GOP would kill these institutions if it could. The Former Guy taxed their endowments and restricted their fundraising.

And even more bizarre, NYC public schools are basically the only big city school district that doesn't take race into account for their elite school admissions. And it's the Dems who codified this, in the 1970's. And they're getting killed on this issue.

Ivy League schools nowadays are more than half legacies/kids of VIPs/athletes. If they cannot take any race-ethnicity into account, can only use test scores, but retain the other affirmative admissions, the Ivies will be just rich kids, athletes and Asians. Not good for the country.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2022, 5:12 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Like Mr NYC said it's about perception. There is/was a perception of non-response from the Democrats. See what got Chesa Boudin recalled.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2022, 5:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
Like Mr NYC said it's about perception. There is/was a perception of non-response from the Democrats. See what got Chesa Boudin recalled.
I'm not sure what Democrats could have done to appear more responsive. NYC deployed cops, spun up anti-hate campaigns specifically targeting anti-Asian actions and rhetoric, etc. I don't recall any high-profile GOP politician offering up anything, not to mention that the political right was the source of the racist rhetoric.

Now, the strategic error for NY Dems at least was not combating the false media narrative that was allowed to take hold. Funny enough, that narrative was more effective outside of NYC than inside it. Because it was so preposterous.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2022, 5:28 PM
你的媽媽

There's also an inevitable blowback on Asian Americans that comes with the Democrat focus on making China the universal bogeyman, much like how Muslim Americans became targets during the War on Terror. Constantly highlighting China as our greatest threat to national security to score cheap political points, absolutely results in increased xenophobia and racism at home.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2022, 5:34 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
I'm not sure what Democrats could have done to appear more responsive. NYC deployed cops, spun up anti-hate campaigns specifically targeting anti-Asian actions and rhetoric, etc. I don't recall any high-profile GOP politician offering up anything, not to mention that the political right was the source of the racist rhetoric.

Now, the strategic error for NY Dems at least was not combating the false media narrative that was allowed to take hold. Funny enough, that narrative was more effective outside of NYC than inside it. Because it was so preposterous.
Well I'm not sure what NYC did or how effective it was (sounds more like lip service), but if Asians voted more R this time around, it's clear that it didn't work or wasn't enough. The anti-AAPI crime wave should've been a slam dunk to drive more Asians to Democrats, so perhaps there are more factors in play here.

The only other reason I can think of is perhaps a lot of them owned small businesses that were hurt by overzealous COVID lockdowns and restrictions.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2022, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
There's also an inevitable blowback on Asian Americans that comes with the Democrat focus on making China the universal bogeyman, much like how Muslim Americans became targets during the War on Terror. Constantly highlighting China as our greatest threat to national security to score cheap political points, absolutely results in increased xenophobia and racism at home.
Yeah, totally Democrats doing that lol:

Quote:
5 US states are banning TikTok from government phones

Two years after Donald Trump’s unsuccessful attempt to ban TikTok in the US, state governments are trying to clamp down on the Chinese-born app.

On Wednesday, Dec. 7, Texas banned TikTok from government devices, becoming the fifth state to do so—and the fourth in the past week. Nebraska outlawed TikTok from government devices in August 2020, around the same time the Trump administration was attempting to ban the app altogether in the US. This week brought four new entrants: Maryland, South Carolina, South Dakota, and Texas, each of which cited TikTok’s Chinese ownership as a national security risk.

https://qz.com/tiktok-banned-governm...onc-1849873091

Old Posted Dec 9, 2022, 5:39 PM

Keep in mind Asians voted still overwhelmingly voted blue. They just didn't vote quite as deep-blue as two or four years ago. Covid and those high profile Asian attacks were a much bigger thing two years ago, but they voted more blue back then.

I don't think it's entirely clear what happened, but the constant NY Post-driven rhetoric about libs hating Asian schoolkids likely had an impact (even though Hochul isn't a lib, and doesn't have any authority over NYC schools, but whatever; it's rhetoric).

Old Posted Dec 9, 2022, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Keep in mind Asians voted still overwhelmingly voted blue. They just didn't vote quite as deep-blue as two or four years ago. Covid and those high profile Asian attacks were a much bigger thing two years ago, but they voted more blue back then. I don't think it's entirely clear what happened, but the constant NY Post-driven rhetoric about libs hating Asian schoolkids likely had an impact (even though Hochul isn't a lib, and doesn't have any authority over NYC schools, but whatever).
I think it's very hard to disentangle how well Zeldin did with Asians, considering that Asians and white ethnics live in the same neighborhoods in Brooklyn/Queens.

Like, are you seeing a major Asian swing, or relatively low Asian turnout and turbocharged White turnout?

Old Posted Dec 9, 2022, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Yeah, totally Democrats doing that lol:
The Tiktok thing is dumb. Tiktok is managed and run out of the U.S. It has mainland Chinese ownership share, but its effectively HQ in U.S.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2022, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I think it's very hard to disentangle how well Zeldin did with Asians, considering that Asians and white ethnics live in the same neighborhoods in Brooklyn/Queens.

Like, are you seeing a major Asian swing, or relatively low Asian turnout and turbocharged White turnout?
Right, this too. I haven't seen census tract data disaggregated by race yet.

But some of these neighborhoods are really heavily Asian at this point. Places like Bayside and Bensonhurst are approaching majority Asian. It could be that white ethnics (who will be older and probably more reliable voters) had fantastic turnout, but there appears to be some Asian swing, if you look at the various NYC Chinatown tracts.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2022, 5:46 PM
你的媽媽

Schools are definitely a factor as well. There were a bunch of SF board of education commissioners removed from office for overly liberal policies, as well as some questionable comments against Asian Americans. So clearly, not all anti-AAPI rhetoric comes from the right.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2022, 5:49 PM

Right, I remember that in SF. But there was nothing like that in NYC. We don't even have a school board. It was abolished decades ago.

And the most elite NYC public schools pretty much only rely on a single test, and that isn't changing. Schools like Stuy and Bronx Science will continue to be like 80% Asian.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2022, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMKeynes View Post
Queens has tons of "white ethnic" Jews.
Jews were historically seen as "white ethnics" it's true, but in modern-day NYC they don't vote all that similarly, at least on a neighborhood level.

Non-Jewish white ethnic areas remaining in the outer boroughs lean GOP, but not incredibly so. Maybe in the range of 45%-65% Republican, depending upon the individual neighborhood.

Jewish neighborhoods tend to vote much, much more universally Republican than this, though the way that some of the communities vote as a bloc means they can swing to the Democrats downballot.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2022, 7:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMKeynes View Post
Non-Jews consider Jews to be "'white' ethnics." Pamela Geller, for example, would not be inconspicuous at the New Canaan Episcopalian Church.
Queens doesn't have a lot of Conservative or Reform Jews anymore. It's mostly Orthodox. The "Seinfeld/Woody Allen/Streisand" postwar stereotype is pretty much vanished from Queens (and Brooklyn, for that matter). Orthodox now dominate Brooklyn/Queens/Inner Nassau. Even in Nassau, Five Towns, West Hempstead, Great Neck are Orthodox or leaning in that direction.

Further out, Merrick, Wantagh, Jericho, Planview fit the more standard American Jewish norm. Lots of Conservative and Reform still. I believe Jericho High is something like 75% Asian so some of the more secular Jewish suburbs are potentially on their way out.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2022, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Queens doesn't have a lot of Conservative or Reform Jews anymore. It's mostly Orthodox. The "Seinfeld/Woody Allen/Streisand" postwar stereotype is pretty much vanished from Queens (and Brooklyn, for that matter). Orthodox now dominate Brooklyn/Queens/Inner Nassau. Even in Nassau, Five Towns, West Hempstead, Great Neck are Orthodox or leaning in that direction.
A few months back I looked at a list of prominent young Jewish celebrities (like under 35), and I was pretty shocked to see that like 75% of them were only half Jewish. Makes sense though, given the huge outmarriage rate of secular and Reform Jews. It's really not going to exist as an identity any longer by 2050.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2022, 7:57 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
A few months back I looked at a list of prominent young Jewish celebrities (like under 35), and I was pretty shocked to see that like 75% of them were only half Jewish. Makes sense though, given the huge outmarriage rate of secular and Reform Jews. It's really not going to exist as an identity any longer by 2050.
My maternal grandmother had a Jewish maiden name but was not Jewish so someone in her recent past must have converted to Catholicism before they left Germany to the states.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2022, 8:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
My maternal grandmother had a Jewish maiden name but was not Jewish so someone in her recent past must have converted to Catholicism before they left Germany to the states.
I'm not Jewish, but have a distant ancestor - my paternal grandfather was 1/4th. He came from a Sephardic family in the UK, and (as seemed to be common in the UK during the 19th century) assimilated to WASP culture. When he came to the U.S. he passed himself off as "Portuguese." We only discovered the truth here within the last 15 years or so.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2022, 9:25 PM

WTF is a white ethnic Jew?

Old Posted Dec 9, 2022, 11:18 PM

"White ethnic" is imprecisely defined. But it generally means people of southern and eastern European ancestry, sometimes includes Irish Catholics, sometimes includes Jews. But Jews have a rather distinctive socioeconomic and cultural profiles so they're usually analyzed separately.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions