HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Skyrise Miami in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Miami Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted May 28, 2014, 11:59 PM
DENNAB

This doesn't look good, amazing how flaky Miami is, they want to build a thing like this (about to start construction too) then realize they need money they don't have and probably won't get. Oh well, lots of other cool projects in the city.

Might as well moved this to never built

http://miami.curbed.com/archives/201...going-well.php

Old Posted May 29, 2014, 12:39 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
This doesn't look good, amazing how flaky Miami is, they want to build a thing like this (about to start construction too) then realize they need money they don't have and probably won't get. Oh well, lots of other cool projects in the city.

Its not being canceled though. Negotiations are just taking a while. When you have something on this level, its not going to move as easily as lets say a 400 or 500 FT tower. This is huge for the area. It is moving as planned though in terms of a June construction date. The voter referendum will happen either in August or November.

Also, Curbed tends to exaggerate in their articles. Its just makes it catchier to read.

Old Posted May 29, 2014, 1:05 AM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Its not being canceled though. Negotiations are just taking a while. When you have something on this level, its not going to move as easily as lets say a 400 or 500 FT tower. This is huge for the area. It is moving as planned though in terms of a June construction date. The voter referendum will happen either in August or November.

Also, Curbed tends to exaggerate in their articles. Its just makes it catchier to read.
My understanding is that they're breaking ground to hold on to the air right of the site but need funding from the government and state of Florida which doesn't seem to be likely.

Oh well wait and see I guess.

Old Posted May 29, 2014, 1:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCBoy View Post
N830MH, that was the dumbest thing I have ever read. Please never post again
lol exactly what I thought when I read that

Old Posted May 29, 2014, 6:33 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Construction Technically Begins At SkyRise Miami

Quote:
Construction has technically begun at SkyRise Miami and, more importantly, the Federal Aviation Administration has been thus notified of the beginning of construction, thereby preserving SkyRise's FAA approvals before they expired. Soon construction will stop again, now that this loophole has been successfully taken advantage of, while negotiations over SkyRise's very existence continue. P.S. those negotiations may or may not be going so well.
==========================================
http://miami.curbed.com/archives/201...rise-miami.php

Old Posted May 29, 2014, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post

They are BREAKING GROUND on the project. How is that "never built?" I think your assessment is little out of line.

Old Posted May 29, 2014, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onn View Post
They are BREAKING GROUND on the project. How is that "never built?" I think your assessment is little out of line.
They are not breaking ground to actually build the project though. They are just breaking ground to build a couple of columns so their FAA approval doesn't expire. They still need to find a way to pay for actually building it and they still need voter approval (its being built on public land).

Old Posted May 29, 2014, 8:21 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

^^^

Yes. The only thing that might threaten the project are the voters. The developer, Berkowitz, is using some private capital to fund the project, but its not enough. Public financing needs to occur. Hopefully the voters will realize the economic benefit. Over a billion per year in terms of revenue (Annual GDP increase).

Old Posted May 29, 2014, 11:54 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onn View Post
I'll just re-post what I posted:

Quote:
My understanding is that they're breaking ground to hold on to the air rights of the site but need funding from the government and state of Florida which doesn't seem to be likely.

Oh well wait and see I guess.
They're not going to build the project yet, if at all, they just want to hold onto air rights just in case.

Recent articles are making it seem like they probably won't get the funding but we shall see.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2014, 12:41 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

SkyRise Tower among the local projects vetoed by the governor

Quote:
Gov. Rick Scott’s modest list of budget vetoes included $2 million for the controversial SkyRise Miami observation tower that had been a top priority of the Miami-Dade delegation, but most of the locally-sought projects survived.

“When you see a veto it kind of hurts a little but overall, I think we did very well,” said Rep. Eddy Gonzalez, R-Hialeah, chairman of the Miami Dade County legislative delegation.

Miami-Dade lawmakers originally sought $10 million to contribute to the $430 million observation tower to be located behind Bayside Marketplace and rising 1,000 feet into the air. But amid resistance from other legislators, they eventually whittled it down to $2 million with the condition that it would only be used on public infrastructure, such as sidewalks and driveways. The money was also contingent on the project securing $400 million in private-sector funding.

“The governor felt it wasn’t deserving of the merits, that’s fine,’’ said Gonzalez, who is serving his final term but he said he expects legislators to return next year for state money, when construction on the project is expected to be underway. “Maybe we can sell it then,’’ he said.
===================================
Jun. 2, 2014
http://miamiherald.typepad.com/naked...#storylink=cpy

Old Posted Jun 4, 2014, 2:23 PM

Mr. Governor, you don't have $2 million to contribute to an observation deck for all the people of Florida? Something smells bad about that.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2014, 6:28 PM
New Yorker for life

Took some photos from Bayside over the weekend, and now I have a firm idea of where this thing would actually be built. A little iffy on it's status in the bay, but I'll post some pics.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2014, 5:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Took some photos from Bayside over the weekend, and now I have a firm idea of where this thing would actually be built. A little iffy on it's status in the bay, but I'll post some pics.
Excellent! You can do it. Please take a lots pictures. I would like to see it. I dislike Governor Rick Scott. He lied to all those people in Florida. He won't be next term.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2014, 5:33 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

^^^^

And you won't like him for denying the All About Florida state money request which he did. He said since its a private project, the state shouldn't have to pay for it. Ugh, doesn't he see the long term benefit in mass transit. He sounds like Florida's version of Christie, only, not as heavy.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2014, 8:26 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

SkyRise Miami Tower Set For City Commission Vote Today

Quote:
David Beckham's downtown stadium is dead in the water, but Miami's second-most contentious bayfront proposal is very much alive and kicking. Developer Jeff Berkowitz's 1,000-foot tall paperclip, the SkyRise Miami tower, could be on a ballot for city voters as early as August.

But first the city commission has to green light Berkowitz's plans along with a potentially even riskier proposal: giving the nearby Bayside Marketplace a new 99-year lease in exchange for promises to turn the decaying tourist trap into a modern attraction.

[...]

The developer says he will privately finance the $400 million project, but he needs the 1.85 acres of city-owned land behind Bayside to house it.

The proposal going to the commission today ties that plan in with a new lease agreement with the adjacent Bayside. If you haven't been lately, you're not missing out on much. Just take it from Commissioner Marc Sarnoff.

"It's not even second-class condition now," he tells the Miami Herald this morning. "My paramount concern is that we see a significant change in the capital infrastructure and maintenance of Bayside, because it needs a lot."

To that end, the proposal calls for Bayside's operator to spend at least $22 million improving the space; the city would also up its rent from $1 million annually to $2.6 million, plus a one-time $10 million payment to the city.

There are a few glaring question marks in the deal, and the biggest by far is Berkowitz's projections that within a few years the tower would begin bringing in millions of tourists and nearly as much revenue as the Empire State Building. As critics like Al Crespo have pointed out, that's a mighty rose-colored view of how the public would respond to the project.

There's also the more down-to-earth concerns of whether a gigantic paperclip could withstand a hurricane (Berkowitz says architects have repeatedly tested the design in hurricane-force winds and found it sturdy) or whether its financing could fall victim to Miami's inevitable boom-and-bust cycle.

But unlike Beckham's plan, the tower seems to have support in the commission. Don't be surprised if Miami voters will be casting ballots later this summer on whether 560-foot bungee jumps belong on Biscayne Bay.
================================
By Tim Elfrink
Jun. 12 2014
http://blogs.miaminewtimes.com/ripti...vote_today.php

Old Posted Jun 13, 2014, 10:00 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:

Some pics taken over the hot Miami weekend...

1. Riverwalk

5. Skyrise would rise beyond the Hard Rock

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2014, 5:31 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Its official, the referendum will be held in August. Hopefully, the Miami voters have the common sense to approve this.

If its approved, the developer plans on opening this Christmas of 2017. Definitely a great Christmas present for the city.

But for now, construction is underway.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2014, 11:40 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

People in France comment on Skyrise Miami proposal

Video in link: http://www.local10.com/news/people-i...posal/26817302

Quote:
Skyrise Miami, the towering observation deck ?proposed to be built along Biscayne Bay, has been called a lot of things. Proponents have even called it the "Eiffel Tower of Miami."

What do people who work near the Eiffel Tower in Paris think? The reviews are mixed.

One woman who sells purses and souvenirs near the landmark said the design was magnificent.

"No, this is like Dubai, you know? Like a new, big building, but with no history behind it," said another vendor.

A police officer who worked the Eiffel Tower beat agreed.

"I don't know, because the Eiffel tower has a real story regarding the war, the First World War," he said.

Indeed; during World War I the tower intercepted enemy radio communications.

Whether people in Paris think the Skyrise design is worthy is interesting, but what matters is what people in Miami think. Voters will weigh in on whether it's built in August.
=====================================
Jul 06 2014
http://www.local10.com/news/people-i...posal/26817302

Old Posted Jul 10, 2014, 6:41 PM

good point for something over 100 years old off course its going to have history ,while this hasnt even been built yet, but regarding the Dubai remark ,Dubai and Miami have similar architecture due to their main industry,tourism,condos,apts,etc so a signature tower like this will atleast give a pinnacle to an otherwise plateau of a skyline

Old Posted Jul 10, 2014, 10:38 PM
DENNAB

Not much news about this huh? Last we heard this was breaking ground to not be built

Last edited by NYguy; Jul 11, 2014 at 8:05 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive