HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

Old Posted Jul 23, 2019, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
These parcels are all CMX-3 which allows significantly higher density and use than what's currently there. Besides, if any developer wanted to build something bigger than CMX3 here, petitioning for a zoning variance to the councilman to upzone the property to 4 or 5 would probably take little more than a 37 second phone call (didn't that happen to Blatstein's parcel?).

These are thriving businesses that are making a lot of money for themselves and the property owners. I love the optimism but I just don't see these things going anywhere for a loooong time.

In the meantime, though, maybe Kenny Gamble can stop squatting on his lot at Broad and Christian already (what a joke).
Leases run long. Maybe some of that is happening behind the scenes. CMX-3 is not enough, though. I don't think. They need to be rezoned or the property owner needs to know a variance is coming as part of an offer they can't refuse. But, personally, I think one reason it's not happening is because we're not quite ready yet. Lincoln Square and the Washington Avenue developments need to solidify, and Blatstein's if he can ever get it off the ground. A few more sizable lots in Rittenhouse and Graduate Hospital need to develop, housing in Center City needs to get a little more expensive. These things will happe.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2019, 5:30 AM

This thing is somehow, just barely, still alive.

Quote:
REQUEST TO GRANT A ONE (1) YEAR EXTENSION OF THE DECISION, CALENDAR NO. 26950 (5/17/2016), ZONING PERMIT NUMBERN 929429 (11/17/2018), EXPIRED ON 8/28/2019, TO ALLOW OWNER TO OBTAIN BULDING PERMITS.
https://li.phila.gov/#details?entity...S%20BROAD%20ST

Old Posted Jan 10, 2020, 9:49 PM

Looks like Broad and Washington is back on the menu boys.

Exclusive: Grocer to anchor Blatstein's South Broad project

Quote:
Tower Investments has signed Giant Food Stores to anchor its proposed mixed-use project at Broad Street and Washington Avenue in Philadelphia.

The grocer, which has been aggressively opening stores in Philadelphia to grab more market share, signed a long-term lease on 40,000 square feet.

For nearly five years, Blastien has been tinkering with plans for the site at Broad and Washington. An initial plan in 2014 involved a 30-story building with 800 apartments and retail space on the upper floors rather than street-level.

"I've completely changed the project," he said. "I've made it simpler but still big."

Blastien said the project is still being redesigned and couldn't provide many details on size and scope at this time. However, it will be built in phases and he expects the first phase to get underway this year. It will have 80,000 square feet of retail space at the base of a residential tower. Subsequent phases will also include more retail and residential uses.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2020, 9:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanthusiat View Post
Looks like Broad and Washington is back on the menu boys.

Exclusive: Grocer to anchor Blatstein's South Broad project
Yep.

Giant Food Stores market to anchor Blatstein project at Broad and Washington in S. Philly: Report

Old Posted Jan 10, 2020, 9:57 PM

Wow, so between this, Sprouts and the Aldi (I guess you could throw Target, Save A Lot and maybe even the Italian Market in there as well) will there be an area in the city better served with groceries?

Old Posted Jan 10, 2020, 10:03 PM
Philly Rising Up!

^
This makes sense for them and they have a distribution hub in the works in South Philly off Island Ave.

Here's Giant's story for more context:

https://www.supermarketnews.com/reta...s-pennsylvania

They aren't sitting around letting Whole Foods or Wegmans or whoever take their lunch money....LOL.

Last edited by iheartphilly; Jan 10, 2020 at 10:13 PM.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2020, 11:10 PM
Philly Pholly

I'm sure glad they dropped that original plan

Old Posted Jan 10, 2020, 11:33 PM

I think someone had mentioned that this would get underway when the Inky was done.

Well, here we are!

Old Posted Jan 11, 2020, 2:02 PM

Is 40,000 sq foot a normal size grocery store or one of their small-footprint stores that Giant has been opening? While I definitely would welcome more grocery stores, does it make sense to have two stores across the street from each other at Broad and Washington? I know the Acme and Whole Foods on South Streets are next door to each other, so maybe it could work...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Wow, so between this, Sprouts and the Aldi (I guess you could throw Target, Save A Lot and maybe even the Italian Market in there as well) will there be an area in the city better served with groceries?
There is no Aldi near this site as far as I know. Acme is not too far away (about a 10 minute walk).

Old Posted Jan 11, 2020, 3:28 PM
Philly Rising Up!

[QUOTE=eixample;8796639]Is 40,000 sq foot a normal size grocery store or one of their small-footprint stores that Giant has been opening? While I definitely would welcome more grocery stores, does it make sense to have two stores across the street from each other at Broad and Washington? I know the Acme and Whole Foods on South Streets are next door to each other, so maybe it could work...

Typically that's not normal when compare to suburban stores in shopping plazas. But, for the city setting it's quite large. Also, for them, this is smaller when compared to the Riverwalk Giant which IIRC is 65k square foot broken on two levels. Hope this helps.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2020, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eixample View Post
Is 40,000 sq foot a normal size grocery store or one of their small-footprint stores that Giant has been opening? While I definitely would welcome more grocery stores, does it make sense to have two stores across the street from each other at Broad and Washington? I know the Acme and Whole Foods on South Streets are next door to each other, so maybe it could work...

There is no Aldi near this site as far as I know. Acme is not too far away (about a 10 minute walk).
40k is a standard store. The Sprouts I believe is 32k. Most Whole Foods are around 35-45k.

There is an ALDI signed as tenant for one of the OCF developments around 2100-2200 block of Washington, so 5-6 blocks away.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2020, 7:35 PM

Do we even know what this thing will look like at this point?

Old Posted Jan 11, 2020, 10:47 PM

Thanks for the info on the size of the stores and the upcoming Aldi. I shop at this Sprout's and it is quite crowded, often unbearably so. So I can understand why there would be a need for another grocery store. And I get that Giant appeals to a different set of customers (Sprout's isn't so pricy for most things but it doesn't have a broad selection of products). This area will have quite a selection of grocery stores, although I still think there is a need for more of the small-format groceries for walking trips.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2020, 8:32 PM

For what its worth I've spotted multiple crews and drilling trucks on this lot this week and last apparently taking soil samples. Interestingly enough, they were also getting samples on the empty lot on the NE corner of 13th and Washington.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2020, 1:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castle View Post
For what its worth I've spotted multiple crews and drilling trucks on this lot this week and last apparently taking soil samples. Interestingly enough, they were also getting samples on the empty lot on the NE corner of 13th and Washington.
I can't wait for this huge lot to be developed finally on Washington

Old Posted Jun 29, 2020, 5:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frbrown View Post
I can't wait for this huge lot to be developed finally on Washington
Well now, I think everyone shares that desire, but don't hold your breath. The present owner doesn't seem very anxious to do anything. I'm just glad he hasn't built a shopping center here.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2020, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Wide View Post
Well now, I think everyone shares that desire, but don't hold your breath. The present owner doesn't seem very anxious to do anything. I'm just glad he hasn't built a shopping center here.
True. I know we’d all rather wait for something good.

I will say that Broad and Washington has become really lively and full of foot traffic with all the retail in The Lincoln. Good street level retail in 1001 would really be amazing here. Especially if Washington Ave gets a good street diet as promised.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2020, 7:31 PM

I rode by the lot on a bike ride with my 10 year old last weekend and without prompting she asked, "what's this supposed to be?"

You see Bart? It's that much of an eyesore.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2020, 10:35 PM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castle View Post
Was it 'Cook Drilling?' Usually when you see them, it's a go, they're building something soon. Cook Drilling seems to have a monopoly on drilling caissons etc. in Philadelphia construction.
I always wondered, for such a huge empty lot, what was there before. Does anyone know?

Last edited by Inquizative; Jun 30, 2020 at 10:39 PM. Reason: added punctuation

Old Posted Jun 30, 2020, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquizative View Post
Was it 'Cook Drilling?' Usually when you see them, it's a go, they're building something soon. Cook Drilling seems to have a monopoly on drilling caissons etc. in Philadelphia construction.
I always wondered, for such a huge empty lot, what was there before. Does anyone know?
Looks like it was a Wanamaker clothing factory/ A. B. Kirschbaum Factory

https://www.philadelphiabuildings.or...lay.cfm/163848

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F...c_District.jpg

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction