HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jul 23, 2021, 7:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
I was driving down central and the Urban Farm across from Indian School Park is being leveled.

Any idea what's going to happen with this land?
Agave farms. I was about to say the same thing. Anyone know what’s going on there?

Old Posted Jul 23, 2021, 7:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymox View Post
Wasn't that big project scheduled for that corner? Is it possible some phase I is about to break ground that we missed somehow?
Wrong corner, you’re talking about the NE corner of Indian School and Central. We are talking about just north of George and Dragons on the west side of Central.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2021, 3:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPHXskyscraperfan View Post
Agave farms. I was about to say the same thing. Anyone know what’s going on there?
I thought I saw the same but wasn't sure.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2021, 3:59 PM
Modulator

Agave Farms closed up on June 5th as the owner wants to sell the lot. Hope it doesn't sit empty for a long time.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2021, 5:42 PM

I was under the impression that lot is a superfund site. I may be incorrect or my information might be outdated. Anyone know?

Old Posted Jul 23, 2021, 6:06 PM
Skyriser

The NE corner of Indian School and Central lot was tied up in a land swap that Collier companies defaulted on and now Najafi owns it for their pie in the sky Central Park project.

The lot by the George and Dragon is definitely not a superfund site, it's just been vacant for decades, 80s I think.

https://www.azdeq.gov/NPL_Sites

Old Posted Jul 23, 2021, 6:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
The NE corner of Indian School and Central lot was tied up in a land swap that Collier companies defaulted on and now Najafi owns it for their pie in the sky Central Park project.
https://www.azdeq.gov/NPL_Sites
'Pie in the sky' until it happens...

Old Posted Jul 23, 2021, 6:53 PM
Skyriser

There's no demand for office like they're proposing in Phoenix. Especially with less parking than existing Midtown towers that can't fill up.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2021, 1:11 AM
Chase M

Just a random thought but I've always thought that the tennis courts on top of Renaissance Square would be the perfect spot to convert into a rooftop bar/restaurant similar to what you see on Music Row in Nashville.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2021, 5:53 AM

I feel like the Agave lot could definitely turn into a super large 4 or 5 story apartment complex with hopefully lots of retail. It could probably be a 1,500 unit spot even an only 4 stories. Camden build that large one in North Scottsdale, I feel like that’s the best we could get since we haven’t been able to get any towers outside of downtown. The key would be some nice retail facing Central especially. Could even be something like Kierlands hopefully but with more residential. Maybe more like what they are doing with Papago Plaza.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2021, 4:28 PM

https://www.azcentral.com/restricted...F4680192001%2F

Can’t access the article behind the paywall. Two buildings on the Capital Mall could be demoed or redeveloped.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2021, 10:54 PM

Just something I am curious about when looking at the new developments in downtown Phoenix. Is there a reason why new developments besides Central Station are not built in the middle of city? There is going to be this noticeable gap if and when Skye, Moon, McKinley, Basecamp, Astra, Aspire, PalmCourt, and Derby are all built there is this gap in the middle of the middle of downtown. Is the land more expensive as you get to the core of Downtown Phoenix? Do you think the city wants build out and then build inside?

Old Posted Jul 27, 2021, 11:14 PM
Skyriser

There's a lot of land that won't sell because it's owned by Phoenix in the biomedical and ASU area and there's landbankers and fragmented ownership everywhere else. It takes significant effort and money to assemble a big enough lot to be worth it for a high rise.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2021, 4:12 AM

TSMC Update

Site is definitely well on its way...

Quote:
Construction on the first phase of the first building of the TSMC Semiconductor Manufacturing Facility is ongoing. The first building is expected to be complete next summer at Sonoran Oasis Science and Technology Park. The second phase will be outfitting and conditioning the building to manufacture chips. That process could take another year. An architect was selected but not disclosed.
A few other projects mentioned in this brief update as well: (i.e. an 'unnamed tower' broke ground - i.e. Moon Tower)

https://azbex.com/arizona-projects-07-23-21/

Old Posted Jul 28, 2021, 7:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMDelon View Post
Just something I am curious about when looking at the new developments in downtown Phoenix. Is there a reason why new developments besides Central Station are not built in the middle of city? There is going to be this noticeable gap if and when Skye, Moon, McKinley, Basecamp, Astra, Aspire, PalmCourt, and Derby are all built there is this gap in the middle of the middle of downtown. Is the land more expensive as you get to the core of Downtown Phoenix? Do you think the city wants build out and then build inside?
Where would u mean? We got Block 23, Adeline, Kinnect; X Society is prettty close to center. Edith is fenced off and looking to break ground. We all hope for those condos next to The Suns Arena (Footproint Center). And I wouldn’t want them to demo any of the remaining few historic buildings we have like Lurhs or The Hilton Garden Inn building or anything like that.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2021, 9:56 AM

I'm personally happy to see our skyline being extended to the north and all the development in Roosevelt Row is making a huge impact. These high rises popping up right outside the main core will give Astra's tallest some much needed company and won't make it look or feel isolated.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2021, 1:45 PM

I understand what he's saying -- there will be a significant gap bound by Fillmore to the south, McKinley to the north, and between Central and 3rd St. (Between buildings Taylor Place, Westward Ho, Link, and Derby.) There are currently large parking lots, The Met, St. Croix Villas, farmer's market, and a few other small buildings like the one that houses Pomo and La Flor De La Calabaza in that area.

I think once all is said and done, it won't look as noticeable, but in the summertime walking across that shadeless expanse between the true downtown near Cityscape and all the action on Roosevelt Row can be a lot, and really affects the overall density and walkability of our downtown.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2021, 3:46 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymox View Post
Site is definitely well on its way...

A few other projects mentioned in this brief update as well: (i.e. an 'unnamed tower' broke ground - i.e. Moon Tower)

https://azbex.com/arizona-projects-07-23-21/
I just drove by on the 303 this weekend. The amount of construction going on for TSMC is insane for breaking ground just a couple months ago. I'd say nearly a square mile is under construction for infrastructure, buildings, streets, etc..

Old Posted Jul 28, 2021, 3:54 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX06 View Post
I understand what he's saying -- there will be a significant gap bound by Fillmore to the south, McKinley to the north, and between Central and 3rd St. (Between buildings Taylor Place, Westward Ho, Link, and Derby.) There are currently large parking lots, The Met, St. Croix Villas, farmer's market, and a few other small buildings like the one that houses Pomo and La Flor De La Calabaza in that area.

I think once all is said and done, it won't look as noticeable, but in the summertime walking across that shadeless expanse between the true downtown near Cityscape and all the action on Roosevelt Row can be a lot, and really affects the overall density and walkability of our downtown.
I do believe the 2 lots directly East/NE of Westward Ho were sold for redevelopment recently. Doesn't mean development is imminent, but let's hope something gets going. That would close off the open space quite a bit and will just leave the ASU lots and the Met.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2021, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX06 View Post

Hines had a proposal about 5 years ago called 'The Canyon' that was supposed to take up the whole block bounded by Central/Fillmore/Pierce/1st St. that fell apart when their request to abandon the mid-block alley was denied. Feelings were mixed at the time because it was a stubby 6-story full-block apartment building, but 5 years gone now with no real movement, it would have been nice to have to fill the gap instead of the parking lot.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest