HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted May 24, 2022, 6:22 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
What an epic fail. Fresh rubberized asphalt was pretty excellent to drive on but it's been a PITA after all the wear and tear, cracking, and potholes after heavy rains. I'm a fan of the diamond grind method.

https://azbex.com/local-news/valley-...lt-is-failing/
I'm not quite sure why diamond grinding has not been in use here earlier. Diamond grinding has been in use other metro's for decades and I've always been a fan of it.

However, with that being said. It does not seem the type of diamond grinding that has been done here so far is not quite right. It seems to be fairly rough compared to other cities I have been/lived with highways that have been using diamond grounding.

Last edited by CrestedSaguaro; May 24, 2022 at 8:34 PM.

Old Posted May 24, 2022, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro View Post
I'm not quite sure why diamond grinding has not been in use here earlier. Diamond grinding has been in use other metro's for decades and I've always been a fan of it.

However, with that being said. It does not seem the type of diamond grinding that has been done here so far is quite right. It seems to be fairly rough compared to other cities I have been/lived with highways that have been using diamond grounding.
Some spots of the 101 up north are fine - smooth and quiet. Other parts - not so much. Seems like they've been re-doing sections of it from time to time.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2022, 6:13 PM

Found the following blurb from another article which is the first time I've seen some confirmation from the Coyotes side.

Hopefully they can get this going around the time if/when the plan for the arena is officially approved and officially breaks ground.

Quote:
The team has promised beautification efforts like public art, as well as $2 million in funding for the city’s affordable housing project, and additional assistance to Valley Metro to extend the Tempe Streetcar to the district.

“We would love to have the streetcar extended down to our project, and we're willing to make the contribution to do that. We're also going to have our tickets be used for Light Rail,” said Coyotes attorney Nick Wood at Thursday’s meeting.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2022, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Found the following blurb from another article which is the first time I've seen some confirmation from the Coyotes side.

Hopefully they can get this going around the time if/when the plan for the arena is officially approved and officially breaks ground.
It's too bad Phoenix Rising moved out to Wild Horse Pass, it would have been awesome for future extensions of the street car to potentially connect to the Coyotes, Phoenix Rising (close enough) and the Cubs at Sloan Park.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2022, 9:54 PM

SR24 is moving towards final stages of completion.

SPRAWL INBOUND https://azbex.com/planning-developme...-24-extension/

[IMG]The Pinal County Board of Supervisors have approved a federal grant application that, if awarded, would provide $301M to extend SR 24 from Ironwood Drive to US 60.

The grant funds would be in addition to a previously approved SR 24 state budget allocation that went toward interim work.

The project would create a four-lane highway, which Pinal said in its application is a necessary alternative route for congested arterial streets in the area, given the extent of overall growth. The application cited recent traffic studies that predict most current arterial streets in the project area will be overwhelmed by 2030.

The request was filed under the U.S. Department of Transportation’s MEGA Grant Program, also known as the National Infrastructure Project Assistance Program. (Source)[/IMG]

Old Posted Jun 15, 2022, 11:13 PM

Quote:

I’ll believe it when I see it!! Hope they got an approved soon. We’ll find out soon enough.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2022, 2:20 AM

Arizona’s state transportation board has been approved plans to widen 2-lane sections of US 93.

https://www.abc15.com/news/local-new...nBY4&fs=e&s=cl

Old Posted Jun 20, 2022, 9:49 PM

Central is close!

Looks like we’re very close to having Central between Jefferson and Washington being done!

https://imgur.com/gallery/5tr5cnI

Old Posted Jun 20, 2022, 9:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespiandave View Post
Looks like we’re very close to having Central between Jefferson and Washington being done!

https://imgur.com/gallery/5tr5cnI
Awesome! Thanks for posting the picture! It’s really coming along nicely!!

Old Posted Jun 24, 2022, 3:49 PM
self-important urbanista

They waited until the last minute, but the state legislature has passed a bill allowing Maricopa County to go ahead with a referendum this November to extend the existing half cent county transportation tax. Of course, this doesn't mean the voters will approve it. The measure may be a tough sell in a time of high inflation and a midterm mood that may favor Republicans. Nevertheless, the county can't even ask the voters to extend the tax without state approval (a bizarre requirement that applies only to Maricopa), so passage of this bill is an important milestone.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2022, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
They waited until the last minute, but the state legislature has passed a bill allowing Maricopa County to go ahead with a referendum this November to extend the existing half cent county transportation tax. Of course, this doesn't mean the voters will approve it. The measure may be a tough sell in a time of high inflation and a midterm mood that may favor Republicans. Nevertheless, the county can't even ask the voters to extend the tax without state approval (a bizarre requirement that applies only to Maricopa), so passage of this bill is an important milestone.
Working families are struggling to make ends meet. Maricopa County is going to have to use all that unused covid funding, put their fiscally responsible big pants on and live within their means. Working families can't afford anymore tax extensions.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2022, 8:28 PM
Skyriser

They can't use unused covid funding for a transportation measure.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2022, 8:35 PM

Quote:
The half cent sales tax for transportation has long been pretty popular and I see it passing pretty easily. County residents really do appreciate our freeways in particular. Even with a well-funded opposition in 2004, it passed with 58% of the vote. The 1994 extension failed because it was pretty obviously flawed and I think they've largely corrected from past mistakes.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2022, 8:36 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiEncanto View Post
The half cent sales tax for transportation has long been pretty popular and I see it passing pretty easily. County residents really do appreciate our freeways in particular. Even with a well-funded opposition in 2004, it passed with 58% of the vote. The 1994 extension failed because it was pretty obviously flawed and I think they've largely corrected from past mistakes.
What 1994 extension? The county tax was first adopted in 1985 and then renewed in 2004. This vote will be for a second extension.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2022, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
They can't use unused covid funding for a transportation measure.
No, they don’t. They won’t need it. They have a paying from department of transportation.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2022, 4:30 AM

Quote:
What a joke. Ducey vetoed the bill, probably to appease his base on his way out and for whatever his next political move is.

Instead of letting voters decide...he took it upon himself to reject it. I understand inflation is high...but let the voters decide whether they want the added tax or not.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2022, 5:37 AM

Quote:
What a joke. Ducey vetoed the bill, probably to appease his base on his way out and for whatever his next political move is.

Instead of letting voters decide...he took it upon himself to reject it. I understand inflation is high...but let the voters decide whether they want the added tax or not.
It’s a stupid excuse when you consider he is investing $1B in studies for water security, while pushing ideas like desalination which will make water for AZ residents much more expensive, instead of doing things we already know work.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2022, 2:29 PM
self-important urbanista

What a weird and unexpected development. I don’t know if it’s a spiteful “FU” to mayors who have clashed with him over local control and COVID restrictions or just an attempt to burnish his conservative credentials for whatever office he intends to seek next. Either way, it threatens the economic development measures he has touted as governor. I’ve often had mixed feelings about Ducey, but this veto leaves me with a decidedly negative assessment of him.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2022, 5:49 PM

Its obviously for gas prices. Maybe we go two years without it till it comes up again in 2024.

Like most things in our governing system its never the end of the world, and the people saying it is are trying to get something out of you.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2022, 8:32 PM
Skyriser

Ducey's veto letter for the transportation tax

Mostly a bunch of crap, especially the irony of talking about local control. I notice Ducey didn't fluff the PR about this on his website next to everything he signed.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest