HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Mar 29, 2022, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classical in Phoenix View Post
Unfortunately until this past Saturday it was bookable as 3 weekly but now it drops to twice weekly and Eurowings/Lufthansa will not start PHX-FRA they opted for SLC-FRA instead

At least LHR is twice daily once AA resumes 04/05.

It’s sad PHX can’t get more European service when SLC, AUS and DEN have 4+ daily departures minimum

Old Posted Mar 29, 2022, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA744PHX View Post
Unfortunately until this past Saturday it was bookable as 3 weekly but now it drops to twice weekly and Eurowings/Lufthansa will not start PHX-FRA they opted for SLC-FRA instead

At least LHR is twice daily once AA resumes 04/05.

It’s sad PHX can’t get more European service when SLC, AUS and DEN have 4+ daily departures minimum
We have less links to Europe, Im surprised we cant get more direct flights to South America and Asia.

Id suspect we will absolutely get something direct to Asia now with Taiwan companies making major operations here. LG too, Korean but still if we could get a Direct to Tokyo or Taipei That would be awsome.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2022, 5:41 PM
Skyriser

I think the problem with Phoenix's international flights is that it's just too close to LA plus has too much space with the America West/US Airways legacy with American and Southwest. American has their international flights out of established pre-merger cities and Southwest is domestic only.

Phoenix should probably do more to court the East Asian carriers though.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2022, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
I think the problem with Phoenix's international flights is that it's just too close to LA plus has too much space with the America West/US Airways legacy with American and Southwest. American has their international flights out of established pre-merger cities and Southwest is domestic only.

Phoenix should probably do more to court the East Asian carriers though.
Wrong! Southwest Airlines is now international flight. They still flies to CUN, PVR, SJD.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2022, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classical in Phoenix View Post
Yes! I flew it before. I was on the inaugural flight before. I flew to Frankfurt and then Basel.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2022, 8:24 PM
Skyriser

Quote:
Originally Posted by N830MH View Post
Wrong! Southwest Airlines is now international flight. They still flies to CUN, PVR, SJD.
I don't count North America as "international" like Europe or East Asia.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2022, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
I don't count North America as "international" like Europe or East Asia.
Agreed, even the North American routes are only to Canada and Mexico nothing special or unique.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2022, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Agreed, even the North American routes are only to Canada and Mexico nothing special or unique.
Don't forget the seasonal flight to Costa Rica on AA. Do they even fly there anymore?

Old Posted Mar 30, 2022, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azliam View Post
Don't forget the seasonal flight to Costa Rica on AA. Do they even fly there anymore?
Hasn’t been flown since Winter 2019, ended when COVID hit and hasn’t resumed. AA added AUS-SJO/LIR but nothing from PHX

Old Posted Mar 30, 2022, 1:11 PM

Quote:
Hasn’t been flown since Winter 2019, ended when COVID hit and hasn’t resumed. AA added AUS-SJO/LIR but nothing from PHX
Austin appears to provide many incentives to lure international service.

Video Link

Old Posted Apr 22, 2022, 7:12 PM

Construction beginning work on the West Taxiway 260 million dollar project funded by the infrastructure bill

Quote:
The Phoenix City Council selected a contractor Wednesday to manage the construction of a $260 million taxiway that connects the north and south airfields at Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport.

Kiewit Infrastructure West Co., which is part of the Omaha, Nebraska Kiewit Corp., won the contract to build the airfield. Right now, the contract is worth $3.18 million, but the city, which owns the airport, is expecting to receive most of the funding for the project from the federal government.

If the funding is approved — which airport officials expect will happen late this summer — Kiewit will oversee the construction of the 2,000-foot taxiway that will join the north and south airfields on the west end of the airport, allowing for better aircraft flow for airfield operations.

Approximately $194 million is anticipated to come from monies set aside by the latest federal infrastructure package. The rest of the project will be funded by passenger facility charges, which is a fee included in airfare, and airport revenue.

“This airfield project is another step in connecting Phoenix to the world. As one of the first projects for the city identified for delivery under the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law, this new taxiway will reduce aircraft taxi time, improve utilization of all runways, and add capacity for our airline partners,” Phoenix Mayor Kate Gallego said in a statement. “Infrastructure investments like this make our city even more attractive to the global aviation industry including travelers using Sky Harbor.”

Design on the project has already begun.

Once federal approval is received, the project will mark the first in the city of Phoenix funded by the federal Bipartisan Infrastructure Law passed late last year by Congress. The bill puts aside $25 billion for the Federal Aviation Administration to give out in grants. Over the next five years, the FAA will give out $5 billion in competitive grants for airport terminal projects and for projects that promote sustainability. Sky Harbor and city officials are looking to grab as many grants as possible.

In a press release issued by Sky Harbor, airport officials identified several projects they’d like to complete with federal funding including: a second north concourse at Terminal 3, a pedestrian bridge between Terminals 3 and 4, infrastructure improvements at Terminal 4, upgrades to garage lighting, new solar installations, and replacement of fleet vehicles with electric vehicles.

Does anyone know what the hell the airport plans to do with the entire southeastern corner of Downtown? all those empty lots https://goo.gl/maps/R3KGMesGBh2VRjeH6

Are more or less owned by Sky Harbor and they've done nothing but sit on it for well over a decade. Is this some land banking for future funds? The combined value of all of this property has to be in the tens of millions if not over 100 million,

Old Posted Jun 1, 2022, 10:07 PM

It appears the delayed Skybridge Project is finally getting started with its first 500k sqft Warehouse moving forward.

https://azbex.com/planning-developme...00ksf-in-mesa/

Quote:
Two new industrial buildings totaling more than 500KSF of space are planned for the Skybridge Arizona master-planned development owned by the Phoenix-Mesa Gateway Airport Authority.

The site is located on 28 acres near Sossaman and Pecos Roads.

According to the submittal by ADM Group Inc., the project consists of two 44-foot, single-story industrial shell buildings. The narrative says the group use warehouse space will eventually be divided into three tenant spaces. Planning requirements call for a minimum of 640 parking spaces, and the plan proposes 670.

The proposal was discussed at the May 10th Mesa Design Review Board meeting and presented in a May 11th hearing before the Planning and Zoning Board. (Source)

Old Posted Jun 17, 2022, 9:43 PM

New Southwest Airlines concourse at Phoenix Sky Harbor Terminal 4

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...concourse.html
Quote:
Passengers will start arriving at a brand new concourse at Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport next week.

Starting June 20, flights will begin landing and taking off at the airport’s eighth concourse in Terminal 4. The eight-gate, 275,000-square-foot addition will be used exclusively by Southwest Airlines (Nasdaq: LUV)

The latest addition to the airport was described by Phoenix Mayor Kate Gallego as “the most gorgeous concourse on the planet,” during a ribbon cutting ceremony held June 17.

Across Southwest’s network, Jordan said the company is about 80% of where it was before the pandemic, but at Sky Harbor, he said passenger levels are back to where they were in 2019. Southwest, which is the second-largest carrier at Sky Harbor, flies nonstop to 61 different cities from Phoenix, including recently added flights to Hawaii and Mexico.

Even the windows of the new concourse are described as “smart windows.” Designed and installed by View Smart Windows, the windows looking out to Phoenix’s South Mountain and the Air National Guard’s refueling wing are equipped with artificial technology that follows the sun and adjusts tint as needed – improving energy efficiency.

While passengers will start using the new Southwest terminal starting June 20, the restaurants and retail spots for the concourse will have to wait for a bit. The airport said the new restaurants, which include Pedal Haus Brewery, Berry Divine – Acai Bowls, celebrity chef Bobby Flay’s Bobby’s Burgers, Eegee’s, Sip Coffee & Beer and Chick-fil-A, will open in phases in the second half of this year and in 2023.

The concourse will also be home to a 3,500-square-foot lounge for Chase Sapphire Reserve cardmembers and several retail brands at the Uptown Phoenix and InMotion Entertainment shops.

After the completion of this concourse, there is no more room for Sky Harbor to build in Terminal 4. Going forward, as the airport grows and needs new gates and amenities, Sky Harbor will have to add on to Terminal 3 or build a new terminal to accommodate that growth.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2022, 5:04 PM

I know I have asked before but can somebody explain why the hell the entire southeast corner of the inner loop of downtown is owned by Sky Harbor for land banking?

Why?

https://goo.gl/maps/YpXfpt2MDFeQm8aB8

All those pink lots are owned by the city (sky harbor)

Old Posted Aug 11, 2022, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
I know I have asked before but can somebody explain why the hell the entire southeast corner of the inner loop of downtown is owned by Sky Harbor for land banking?

Why?

https://goo.gl/maps/YpXfpt2MDFeQm8aB8

All those pink lots are owned by the city (sky harbor)
I think its to protect the airport from noise complaints.

maybe once they purchase all the lots they will zone it warehouse and sell them?

Old Posted Aug 11, 2022, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownphxguy12 View Post

maybe once they purchase all the lots they will zone it warehouse and sell them?
Pretty absurd they buy up an entire section of town and turn it into a wasteland to prevent noise complaints.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2022, 6:53 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownphxguy12 View Post

Great location for industrial warehousing if you ask me. No noise complaints and the area gets developed.

However, Sky Harbor does get a way with a lot of fluff when it comes to anti-development concerns. I've mentioned this before, but I have lived adjacent to 2 international airports for many many years. Very few if any complaints were ever heard about noise from nearby residents.

Heck...I just drove around the area that surrounds LAX 2 weeks ago. PLENTY of residential adjacent to the airport! https://www.google.com/maps/@33.9419.../data=!3m1!1e3

Old Posted Sep 8, 2022, 11:47 PM

A lot of flights out of PHX announced by Frontier lately; are they setting up PHX as a new hub? An article spoke of setting up something here for flight crews.

https://www.abc15.com/news/business/...western-cities

Old Posted Sep 9, 2022, 1:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymox View Post
A lot of flights out of PHX announced by Frontier lately; are they setting up PHX as a new hub? An article spoke of setting up something here for flight crews.

https://www.abc15.com/news/business/...western-cities
Yes, the crew base will be opening up in November, my roommate is a Frontier flight attendant. Needless to say, he's excited he no longer has to commute to LAS for his trips.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2022, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro View Post
Great location for industrial warehousing if you ask me. No noise complaints and the area gets developed.

Heck...I just drove around the area that surrounds LAX 2 weeks ago. PLENTY of residential adjacent to the airport! https://www.google.com/maps/@33.9419.../data=!3m1!1e3
Yes look at any airport, look at Midway and Ohare, Look at San Diego. there is nowhere that the airport clears neighborhood a mile or more from their runway

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest