HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Mar 3, 2021, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
Good find although we basically know this already (the five to seven years part at least).
Unless the condo market magically gets better I could definitely see this one switching to rentals like 400 LSD, 1000M.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2021, 5:40 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Not trying to be a debbie-downer, but prepare yourself for a possible haircut to the 700-800 ft range.

I have no official information other than history (400 LSD, One Chicago, WPS, both WL high-rises that were originally 600+ft, and 1000M). It is an extremely disappointing trend.
Quote:
Chicago does seem to be allergic to supertalls as of late, even before covid.
I'd note the Vista Tower actually got a height increase to be the second highest roof in the city (albeit barely). Not saying Chicago hasn't disappointed but it's not all bad.

Didn't 110N Wacker get a bump too?

Quote:
Unless the condo market magically gets better I could definitely see this one switching to rentals like 400 LSD, 1000M.
That could be a wise move, or at least more rentals than Condos

Old Posted Mar 5, 2021, 1:08 AM

This building isn't going to get downsized significantly. This is the last remaining parcel in LSE. The land has already been paid for ten times over. It also just so happens that this is one of the last remaining riverfront and lakefront parcels downtown. There is no way Magellan is going to leave behind a significant chunk of density or FAR and massively slash this projects height.

The zoning entitlements for a building of this size are already in place, there isn't going to be a meeting where this gets shot down and the alderman can't do shit. This is completely different from the other examples listed.

Reddit.com/r/REbubble

Old Posted Mar 5, 2021, 2:08 AM

^ Exactly and not to mention the developer negotiated to have one less building were Cirrus and Cascade were in exchange for added height at site I... So cant see them not taking advantage to the fullest

Old Posted Mar 5, 2021, 3:07 AM
1st Ward

Definitely, and hopefully we see a height increase to supertall status as a result!

The only real con of the building plan redesign is that the large concrete wall on the Chandler, which was initially to be temporary until covered by a planned adjacent building, will now be a permanent feature.

Perhaps they can splash up a nice mural or something on there

Old Posted Mar 5, 2021, 3:30 AM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
Definitely, and hopefully we see a height increase to supertall status as a result!
Considering that 950' looked to be the height without the parapet, it's probably already there. Another 1-150 feet from the sheered 195N could yield an ~1100+ footer.

I'd rather it not create a plateau with Vista and AON though, I think 1050 would be a good height for this. That or way taller (which probably won't happen).

Old Posted Mar 6, 2021, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post

The only real con of the building plan redesign is that the large concrete wall on the Chandler, which was initially to be temporary until covered by a planned adjacent building, will now be a permanent feature.

Perhaps they can splash up a nice mural or something on there
I agree. It’s so big and bright that I regularly notice it from planes.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2021, 11:12 PM

Photos: Cascade Park opens in Lakeshore East

The article says: " Magellan and Lendlease also have city approval to build a third residential tower on Lakeshore East's vacant "Parcel I" to the immediate north. It's unclear when the team intends to break ground on the 85-story, 950-foot-tall skyscraper."

Last edited by Steely Dan; Aug 8, 2021 at 11:29 PM.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2021, 11:32 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ I copied your post from the Cirrus thread over here to site I's dedicated thread.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2022, 8:03 PM

I have just stumbled on this recently updated page about Chicago skyscrapers, which indicates Parcel I's height as "984ft+ (300m+)". Of course that got me excited, but then I realized this is most likely just speculation based on the same diagram that we have seen, as the author continues to write:

"The proposed height for the tower is 950 ft, but it’s highly likely that the figure is not measured from the ground level, but from an elevated position atop the parking podium at the bottom of the tower, so the actual height could surpass 984 feet and make it a supertall tower. The tower will be purely for residential use, offering 600 units. The development was approved in 2018, and the construction could begin in 2022."

Old Posted Feb 25, 2022, 8:35 PM
DENNAB

Wasn't there also speculation that some condos could be moved to this building from the other 600 footer in this development that was shortened to a 500 footer? If so it could still be a 300+.

From the looks of the diagram we saw, 950 looks like the main roof without the parapet anyway.

With the condo market as hot as it is they should really get digging.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2022, 8:40 PM
devout Pizzatarian

the height diagram we've seen for this tower is purely schematic, so take any figures drawn from it with a grain of salt.

when it actually gets designed as a real building, then we'll know where it lands. for right now, the 950' figure is just a ballpark.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2022, 6:54 AM

Heard from somebody in the construction world that parcel I has a placeholder groundbreaking date of 2024. From what I understand though its pretty common for it to change this far out and is really just used to make sure the GC has some extra staff by the time pre-construction starts. TLDR looks like they’re allowing a typical 1-2 year gap between Cirrus/Cascade and this next phase.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2022, 7:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
Wasn't there also speculation that some condos could be moved to this building from the other 600 footer in this development that was shortened to a 500 footer? If so it could still be a 300+.

From the looks of the diagram we saw, 950 looks like the main roof without the parapet anyway.

With the condo market as hot as it is they should really get digging.
Somebody can correct me if I’m wrong but don’t shifts in FAR areas between PD subareas trigger the new ARO (even if originally approved before it took effect)? I remember reading some material on it that detailed a *pretty long* list of expanded actions that can trigger it now.

Also I’m curious about what other’s opinions are on the condo market downtown. From what I understand the super-high end market has managed to do well to the advantage of Tribune Tower and St Regis but the rest of the downtown market has been pretty lackluster to the detriment of Cirrus (supposedly) and 1000M (seeing as how it switched to rental). Do you think Parcel I will stand out enough to perform with the likes of Tribune/St Regis or will we be seeing a shift in programming similar to 1000M?

Old Posted Mar 31, 2022, 5:48 PM
Houston:Considered Good

These definitely appear to be urban gated communities but the highway along the lakefront, the buildings along lake shore east park and the width of the roads appears to force that to happen. What type of access to public transportation will this site and neighborhood have?

Old Posted Mar 31, 2022, 8:26 PM

My wife and I recently had a "if we were gorgonzillionaires and could live anywhere in Chicago, where would we live?" talk, where the choices were One Bennett Park, St. Regis, and One Chicago.

Because of public transit, we picked One Chicago. OBP and St. Regis (and also LSE Site I) aren't nearly as accessible via bus or train.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2022, 10:11 PM

As someone that uses the L and the bus quite a lot..I'd think most of the people buying at St. Regis and LSE I probably aren't really concerned with their access to public transit.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2022, 2:03 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double L View Post
These definitely appear to be urban gated communities but the highway along the lakefront, the buildings along lake shore east park and the width of the roads appears to force that to happen. What type of access to public transportation will this site and neighborhood have?
The 6, 4 and 60 all serve the area.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2022, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsburghPA View Post
As someone that uses the L and the bus quite a lot..I'd think most of the people buying at St. Regis and LSE I probably aren't really concerned with their access to public transit.
a couple I know in LSE walk to work, one at Harold Washington and one in the old UNITRIN building, even when he was at Sears tower he still walked.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2022, 3:51 AM

I was at the site today and saw zero evidence of impending construction, *SIGH*:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals