HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 13, 2023, 5:46 AM

A now complete Level Hollywood by Onni

And next to that is the under construction Tesla Supercharger Diner/Drive in Movie experience

Old Posted Oct 13, 2023, 12:07 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

Level Hollywood turned out nice. I shake my head at the Tesla diner/charging station. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for electric charging infrastructure, but for God's sake, build it into the parking infrastructure that already exists!
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Oct 17, 2023, 11:01 PM

Anyone have more info on LA losing hosting world cup games? What a bummer that would be.

https://ktla.com/news/local-news/los...ute-with-fifa/

Old Posted Oct 17, 2023, 11:49 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio5 View Post
Anyone have more info on LA losing hosting world cup games? What a bummer that would be.

https://ktla.com/news/local-news/los...ute-with-fifa/
Sounds like it's just SoFi stadium that's the problem and that others may still be a possibility.

Anyway, as long as LA still hosts the 2028 olympics I'm happy. It'll hopefully give the city some incentive to really solve some of its serious problems and spur development.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2023, 3:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
Sounds like it's just SoFi stadium that's the problem and that others may still be a possibility.

Anyway, as long as LA still hosts the 2028 olympics I'm happy. It'll hopefully give the city some incentive to really solve some of its serious problems and spur development.
Yeah, it's a sofi problem, but that's also a lot of money/eyes on LA that we wont get in 2026.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2023, 11:56 PM

From Urbanize LA:

Long Beach's Ocean Center Building reopens as housing after $50M renovation

The 14-story building landmark is located at 110 E. Ocean Boulevard

OCTOBER 17, 2023, 8:00AM
STEVEN SHARP

After a $50-million renovation, the landmark Ocean Center Building in Downtown Long Beach has reopened as housing, developer Pacific6 announced earlier this month.

The 14-story building, completed at 110 E. Ocean Boulevard in 1929, is a well-known local landmark due in part to its unique Spanish Renaissance Revival design featuring a gable roof and towers. Meyers & Holler, the architecture firm behind
the project, is also known for its work on the Chinese and Egyptian Theatres in Hollywood.

Pacific6, which acquired the property in 2017, worked to restore vintage elements of the Ocean Center Building, including its lobby, terrazzo flooring, elevators, and stairs. Original corridors are preserved on each level, along with office doors
and hardware intended to evoke 1930s film noir.

The interior includes 80 apartments in a mix of studio, one-, and two-bedroom layouts, with modern finishes that mark a contrast the to the vintage common areas and exterior. A leasing website for the Ocean Center Building advertises
studio units as small as 520 square feet starting at $3,000 per month and two-bedroom units up to 685 square feet in size commanding at least $5,140 per month. Penthouse units occupy the uppermost floors of the building, including
a two-story, two-bedroom unit in the tower structure which asks $14,000 per month.

Other common features of the project include a trio of rooftop amenity decks, as well as a fitness center and parking for vehicles and bicycles.

Once located at the gateway to the Long Beach Pike, the Ocean Center Building still stands along a busy stretch of Ocean Boulevard, abutting the 216-unit Oceanaire apartment complex, which was completed in 2019, and across the street
from a parking lot slated for redevelopment with a 30-story hotel tower. The surrounding blocks have also recently seen to other rehabilitations of older buildings: a 1960s office tower turned housing at 200 Ocean Boulevard and the Breakers
Hotel, which is also being led by Pacific6.

Link: https://la.urbanize.city/post/long-b...o7UWOgKpMoARa0

Some pics:

~ Charles Bukowski

Last edited by sopas ej; Oct 19, 2023 at 4:42 PM.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2023, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio5 View Post
Yeah, it's a sofi problem, but that's also a lot of money/eyes on LA that we wont get in 2026.
Sounds like FIFA might still consider the Rose Bowl, as it has a history of hosting high profile soccer matches.

*Send PM for updates/edits/corrections*

Old Posted Oct 19, 2023, 1:59 PM

Those apartments look pretty, pretty, pretty good.

I posted on another thread last week, but Long Beach really is one of the most overlooked cities in the United States.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2023, 3:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202_Cyclist View Post
Those apartments look pretty, pretty, pretty good.

I posted on another thread last week, but Long Beach really is one of the most overlooked cities in the United States.
I've always loved Long Beach, ever since I was really young. I always considered it SoCal's "hidden gem," or "hidden diamond-in-the-rough." I think it's considered out of the way for many people who live in LA proper, so they avoid it. Also, over the years, when LB does get talked about on the news media, it's often because of something that happened in one of its bad neighborhoods, so, in SoCal people's minds, LB gets a bad rap, even in the minds of people who've never been there. I grew up near Long Beach, and my mom worked there, and I even went to Cal State Long Beach, so I am very familiar with it. Broadway and Belmont Shore were among my hangouts as a college student. Hehe one example of LB being perceived as a bad place... A former coworker of mine, who graduated from Cal Poly Pomona, when we started talking about what colleges we went to, when I told him I graduated from Cal State Long Beach, he said "Did you like it?" I said "Yeah, I liked it a lot, better than UCSB (I had transferred from there)." His next question was "Was it all ghetto?" I gave him a look, and said "No, not as 'ghetto' as POMONA."

In a way, I'm kinda glad that Long Beach is sort of under the radar, because that's one of the things I like about it---the laid back, unpretentious vibe. It's not like the Westside of LA. I would hate for Long Beach to become a place where it gets full of pretentious annoying Westside types.

Incidentally, my oldest nephew now lives in Long Beach.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Oct 24, 2023, 2:54 AM

Disney Pixar Place Hotel to open in January after two year transformation

https://www.ocregister.com/2023/10/2...otel-makeover/

*Send PM for updates/edits/corrections*

Old Posted Oct 26, 2023, 11:27 PM

Old Posted Oct 26, 2023, 11:54 PM

^RIP Andres Italian restaurant and K-Mart. The surface parking is an interesting choice, but certainly an improvement over the previous surface parking-to-building ratio.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2023, 11:52 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

Not shedding any tears over the K-Mart, but Andres was a bit of an institution.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Oct 27, 2023, 5:25 PM
Los Angeles Aficionado

Warner Bros. Ranch Redevelopment

The enormous redevelopment at Warner Bros. Ranch is in full swing in Burbank, CA.

https://twitter.com/LA_Construct/sta...90389677519307

Go Dodgers! | Go Lakers! | Go Rams! | Go Kings!

[♥][♦][♣][♠][♥][♦][♣][♠][♥][♦][♣][♠][♥][♦][♣][♠][♥]

Old Posted Oct 27, 2023, 5:37 PM

Those (fake) buildings are the background in the FRIENDS? opening fountain scene?

Old Posted Oct 27, 2023, 5:46 PM
Los Angeles Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReDSPork02 View Post
Those (fake) buildings are the background in the FRIENDS? opening fountain scene?
Yes they are demolishing the whole thing. I believe the fountain from "Friends" intro was moved awhile back already.

Go Dodgers! | Go Lakers! | Go Rams! | Go Kings!

[♥][♦][♣][♠][♥][♦][♣][♠][♥][♦][♣][♠][♥][♦][♣][♠][♥]

Old Posted Oct 27, 2023, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAsam View Post
^RIP Andres Italian restaurant and K-Mart. The surface parking is an interesting choice, but certainly an improvement over the previous surface parking-to-building ratio.
That surface parking lot seen in the renderings is not part of the proposed development. Somebody else owns that parcel.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2023, 8:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a9l8e7n View Post
Yes they are demolishing the whole thing. I believe the fountain from "Friends" intro was moved awhile back already.
Good riddance! Friends was perhaps the most overrated show from the 1990s. Seinfeld, of course was much better, as was Fraiser.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2023, 10:22 PM

Fry's-replacing development moves forward at 6100 Canoga in Warner Center

1.1-million-square-foot complex would feature housing and a hotel

Steven Sharp
Urbanize Los Angeles
October 27, 2023

A proposed 1.1-million-square-foot commercial development slated for the site of the shuttered Fry's Electronics store in Warner Center has cleared a key obstacle.

At its meeting on October 26, the Los Angeles City Planning Commission voted to reject two appeals which sought to block the construction of District at Warner Center, a mixed-use complex proposed by Kaplan Companies. The project, which would span an 8.8-acre property at 6100 N. Canoga Avenue, calls for the construction of a trio of mid-rise buildings featuring a 204-room hotel, 852 residential units, and nearly 2,200 square feet of ground-floor market uses. More than 1,400 parking spaces are planned across the site.

AO is designing District at Warner Center, which would be completed in three phases:
  • Phase 1: The North Building, an 11-story, 156-foot-tall residential structure featuring 445 homes (including 158 live/work units) above a 2,171-square-foot market and parking for 717 vehicles;
  • Phase 2: The South Building, an 11-story, 152-foot-tall building with 407 dwellings (including 158 live/work units) above parking for 673 vehicles; and
  • Phase 3: A 12-story, 154-foot-tall hotel with 204 guest rooms with a ground-floor lobby, bar, outdoor patio, and bistro, served by a 112-car garage.

A full buildout of the project would take roughly four years.

Publicly-accessible open space, lined with live/work units, plazas, and green space, would ring the perimeter of the site. It would be oriented to connect with a similar multi-use corridor which cuts through the adjacent Vela at Ox mixed-use project, and aligned to connect to those planned in future developments along Variel Street to the east and Canoga Avenue to the west.

The project was faced with two appellants, identified as the West Valley Alliance for Optimal Living and Jeff Bornstein, both of whom listed the same legal representation, the same address, and the same contact information in their filings. The appeals argued that the project should be required to undergo further study under the California Environmental Quality Act, and also made the case for the project to provide a dedication of land for park creation, rather than paying fees to the city. Staff reports recommended denial of both appeals.

District at Warner Center sits directly across Canoga Avenue for the former Anthem Blue Cross property site which Los Angeles Rams owner Stan Kroenke purchased in mid-2022 for a reported sum of $175 million. Kroenke has since initiated plans to turn the property's parking lot into a temporary practice facility for the Rams, a prelude to what is expected to be a mixed-use project that transformers nearly 100 acres of property the developer has acquired in Warner Center.

Fry's, which went out of business in early 2021, left behind a handful of large sites across Southern California which could be suitable for redevelopment. At least one firm is besides Kaplan Companies has also set its sights on a former Fry's location: LaTerra Development plans to raze the chain's Burbank store to make way for housing and commercial space.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2023, 10:23 PM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations