HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 26, 2023, 4:15 PM
There is always a way

Playing armchair quarterback is easy, if they succeed in pulling off their vision, then all the better, if it ends up scaled back, that's also fine, so long as it doesn't turn into one giant dollorama strip mall
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Oct 26, 2023, 4:30 PM

I'm with viking's prediction of the six-storey max. cookie cutter stucco and hardie board delight that's going up behind the old sugar plant on Bishop. the market gets what the market wants.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2023, 4:37 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdRain&Snow View Post
Honestly, just build a mixed-use neighbourhood of 5-over-1's. Here's an example from Minneapolis. I agree that 15-25 storys is not realistic.
totally agree....and that's likely what they will get. It could still be awesome....maybe more awesome.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2023, 10:29 PM
Back from the dead

Normally I would agree that ten 15-25 storey buildings was an unrealistic prospect but I don't think some folks here are factoring in the reality of the housing situation in this country right now.

These units aren't just for international students: Anybody can buy or rent whatever comes along. Now, I would agree that at the current market rates, yeah, they'd have a tough time filling them up but it's certainly not because there aren't enough people who'd like to live in them. Nevertheless, it's called a housing crisis for a reason and the lack of housing is what makes it a crisis. If the UofM can get this started ASAP, there's no good reason to believe that they can't pull it off. They can't wait for a decade because by then the crisis will have eased somewhat (thereby limiting demand) but if they get on with it as quickly as possible, it's not unrealistic.

That all said, yes, they could fill it all up a lot faster if it weren't a hard margin. They could build mostly in the ten storey range but I'd still expect a couple buildings to achieve greater height.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2024, 8:27 PM

So what's the word on Southwood? I haven't been down to the uni in too long and this project is fascinating. Any utilities work being done lately? Any designs announced? Etc etc etc. I'm sure I'm speaking for everyone here when I say that if they can even get close to their concept it will be a major win for the city and for urban infill generally in Canada. I'm rooting for Southwood haha.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2024, 9:01 PM

The website for the project says 10 acres of land was to be released for sale in 2023. Does anyone know if that happened? Have any developers bought lots yet?

https://southwoodcircle.com/

Old Posted Jan 16, 2024, 9:10 PM

Quote:
The website for the project says 10 acres of land was to be released for sale in 2023. Does anyone know if that happened? Have any developers bought lots yet?

https://southwoodcircle.com/
They're some damned pretty lots too. What a nice area for a development.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2024, 9:19 PM

Okay, I did a bit more digging. Found this webpage which has more details:

https://southwoodcircle.com/curent-lots/

It looks like there were 8 lots put up for sale in June 2023. Not sure how many of them have been sold yet. Map of the available lots is below:

The following description is given:

"Phase 1 lots range in size from 1.073 to 1.637 acres with the flexibility to adjust size and dimensions to suit. Consideration will be given to large-scale phased projects. The lots were brought to market under an open bid process in June 2023. CAD versions of the lot plans are available on request.

The lots are fully zoned for mixed-use residential, retail and office commercial to a density of up to 5X with maximum height of 250 feet. Properties fronting Sifton Road will be required to include retail at grade. City parking requirements have been reduced by 30% due to transit availability and walkability to campus. Condo and rental development are both encouraged. The property will be fully serviced in 2024."

The webpage says Lot Servicing will being during Q1 2024. I'm assuming that will start once the weather warms up.

Also, I noticed the map of lots for sale is labeled NCTR in the bottom right corner. That's the location for the new building for the National Centre of Truth and Reconciliation, which was announced in 2022.

https://globalnews.ca/news/9266265/c...earning-lodge/

Edit: It looks like some of this was already discussed in previous posts. Sorry if some of this information is redundant.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2024, 9:24 PM

Quote:
Okay, I did a bit more digging. Found this webpage which has more details:

https://southwoodcircle.com/curent-lots/

It looks like there were 8 lots put up for sale in June 2023. Not sure how many of them have been sold yet. Map of the available lots is below:

The following description is given:

"Phase 1 lots range in size from 1.073 to 1.637 acres with the flexibility to adjust size and dimensions to suit. Consideration will be given to large-scale phased projects. The lots were brought to market under an open bid process in June 2023. CAD versions of the lot plans are available on request.

The lots are fully zoned for mixed-use residential, retail and office commercial to a density of up to 5X with maximum height of 250 feet. Properties fronting Sifton Road will be required to include retail at grade. City parking requirements have been reduced by 30% due to transit availability and walkability to campus. Condo and rental development are both encouraged. The property will be fully serviced in 2024."

The webpage says Lot Servicing will being during Q1 2024. I'm assuming that will start once the weather warms up.

Also, I noticed the map of lots for sale is labeled NCTR in the bottom right corner. That's the location for the new building for the National Centre of Truth and Reconciliation, which was announced in 2022.

https://globalnews.ca/news/9266265/c...earning-lodge/

Edit: It looks like some of this was already discussed in previous posts. Sorry if some of this information is redundant.
A refresher never hurts. Thanks for the digging. Any architects/developers or adjacents have an inside scoop on any movement on these lots?

Old Posted Jan 17, 2024, 7:40 PM
keep the good times going

I could be wrong, but it looked like there was a bit of movement on the site before Christmas (machinery and such) for the lot servicing - but it is hard to tell from the bus what's going on on that end of Southwood.

I will try to walk that way when I'm on campus and its warmer lol

Old Posted Jan 17, 2024, 7:48 PM

Would be interested to know what and how the servicing is planned. They must be planning for the high rise development scheme they proposed. Which would include large diameter sewer systems and water services. A lot of upfront costs for something that is very speculative.

I'd also be interested to know what kind of proposals they've received to date. Almost feels like they've missed some opportunity with all the developments that have occurred along Pembina.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2024, 7:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peg View Post
I could be wrong, but it looked like there was a bit of movement on the site before Christmas (machinery and such) for the lot servicing - but it is hard to tell from the bus what's going on on that end of Southwood.

I was thinking the same thing. I love going for a stroll on my alma mater's campus but goddamn it's too cold for that lol.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2024, 8:48 PM

Quote:

The riverbank stabilization is happening first. It is a separate contract from the lot servicing, however I heard that one contractor has both jobs. The stabilization must happen before the river thaws.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2024, 9:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plrh View Post
The riverbank stabilization is happening first. It is a separate contract from the lot servicing, however I heard that one contractor has both jobs. The stabilization must happen before the river thaws.
Thats super interesting. Do they have to shore it up because of all the extra weight those towers will add?

Old Posted Jan 17, 2024, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FactaNV View Post
Thats super interesting. Do they have to shore it up because of all the extra weight those towers will add?
No. It's ongoing maintenance to keep the river within it's current banks. It's replacing mud to about 25' deep with large rocks to prevent erosion. It usually happens in 2 or 3 locations around the city every winter.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2024, 10:31 PM

Sounds like rock columns. Core out big diameter holes (3m maybe?) and fill with rock.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2024, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Sounds like rock columns. Core out big diameter holes (3m maybe?) and fill with rock.
I think this one is rock columns. I don't know their diameters, but they are usually 8-10'.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2024, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plrh View Post
I think this one is rock columns. I don't know their diameters, but they are usually 8-10'.
10 feet is 3 metres

I hate the imperial system.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2024, 10:07 PM
keep the good times going

On the bus, I caught a glimpse of the machinery on site and construction signage at the old gate at Markham and University Crescent so they appear to have started.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2024, 10:25 PM

Quote:
On the bus, I caught a glimpse of the machinery on site and construction signage at the old gate at Markham and University Crescent so they appear to have started.
Here we go! Let's see something cool happen!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan