HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jul 22, 2017, 1:27 AM
Adoptive Chicagoan

676 N Lasalle. Cedar Street Flats

July 21, 2017 by me, on Flickr

July 21, 2017 by me, on
[/SIZE]

Old Posted Jul 22, 2017, 3:03 AM

I was waiting to see some good shots of this from emathias

Old Posted Jul 22, 2017, 7:15 PM
Development Shill

So true Busy Bee, but instead we have basically no Little Italy thanks to Daley...

Old Posted Jul 22, 2017, 11:00 PM

^ So are you now understanding what Mr Downtown was trying to tell you?

------

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
FLATS River North - 676 N LaSalle
Is this really by FLATS, the budget apartment rehabber with a spotty record? On LaSalle Street?? Surprised to see that happen. I hope they pull off something decent.
The future of the LaSalle corridor in River North is still very much a blank slate, it would be nice if there was some plan or direction for it to take going forward. With State Street being pretty narrow and choked (it probably needs to become one-way), LaSalle is essentially serves as the grand boulevard for the area, and it also has the CBOT vista. It's probably lucky that it's the last place that River North tower development is spreading to, converging from west and east. The fact there's a 70s style rug shop at 700 north is amusing but it won't be there for long.

------

Is anybody witnessing the events at Pokepalooza today? I wonder if the bandwidth trainwreck could be a good opportunity for lots of visitors to end up roaming the Riverwalk and discovering all kinds of other parts of the city.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2017, 12:44 AM
The City

I sat in front of BVictor today for 75 minutes, he is an absolutely brilliant architecture tour guide, knocked it out of the park.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2017, 2:07 AM
Development Shill

Both of my comments don't have to be mutually exclusive to both be right though denizen....

Old Posted Jul 23, 2017, 2:42 AM

The Aberdeen - 171 N Aberdeen

July 22

Fabbris - Sells pizza rounds in bulk - the foundation for 100s of Gingerbread houses over the years (at Hatch school).

Old Posted Jul 23, 2017, 8:48 AM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
I was waiting to see some good shots of this from emathias
If you want close-ups of anything in particular from this angle, just let me know.
[/SIZE]

Old Posted Jul 23, 2017, 8:49 AM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
I sat in front of BVictor today for 75 minutes, he is an absolutely brilliant architecture tour guide, knocked it out of the park.
My parents got to see him a few weeks ago and really enjoyed it!
[/SIZE]

Old Posted Jul 23, 2017, 8:57 AM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post
... The fact there's a 70s style rug shop at 700 north is amusing but it won't be there for long. ...
I kinda like that little building, for what it is, it's actually pretty smartly designed. Not that I expect it to resist market forces for much longer, though.

Speaking of market forces, I wonder how long Catholic Charities can justify sitting on a gold mine instead of cashing out of their building on Huron and parking lot on Erie to better support their mission. And now that HoJo is gone, pressure must be building on Ohio House.

Once south of Chicago is built out, I wonder if Moody would sell their grassy knoll to enable a solid streetscape and raise some funds.
[/SIZE]

Old Posted Jul 23, 2017, 10:55 AM

Nobu Hotel and Restaurant - 854 W Randolph

July 22

Old Posted Jul 23, 2017, 12:47 PM

NcDonald's HQ - 1058 W Washington

July 19
Pulling into Morgan Station

July 22

in context - CA Aberdeen in yellow - 1035 VanBuren peeking over the trees.

BRICK !

And more to come

Old Posted Jul 23, 2017, 1:28 PM
The City

Was in the West Loop last night. It's a strange place right now. Still pretty quiet once you get off Randolph, but you get this feeling that it's just about to take off

Old Posted Jul 23, 2017, 2:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Was in the West Loop last night. It's a strange place right now. Still pretty quiet once you get off Randolph, but you get this feeling that it's just about to take off
That cantina next to the Morgan station was rocking yesterday. Sounded like summer break in Daytona beach.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2017, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
I kinda like that little building, for what it is, it's actually pretty smartly designed. Not that I expect it to resist market forces for much longer, though.

Speaking of market forces, I wonder how long Catholic Charities can justify sitting on a gold mine instead of cashing out of their building on Huron and parking lot on Erie to better support their mission. And now that HoJo is gone, pressure must be building on Ohio House.

Once south of Chicago is built out, I wonder if Moody would sell their grassy knoll to enable a solid streetscape and raise some funds.
Or perhaps Moody could develop a proper quadrangle-green space for their students (and the neighborhood).
No idea what, if anything, CC would be planning but I believe they provide services out of that location so that could be a consideration. It is also a central location for their employees to access. If they would left, all that needs to be replaced in an appropriate location.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2017, 5:55 PM
THAT Guy

North & Clark - redesign

Old Posted Jul 23, 2017, 7:16 PM

Wow, that is definitely an improvement over "ye olde" design that was there before. I just hope it happens this decade

Old Posted Jul 23, 2017, 8:03 PM
The City

Yep, this looks way better

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 11:51 AM
Windy City Dan

McD HQ

I don't think that's brick. If you look closely you can see the distressing pattern clearly repeat in some of the "bricks". It doesn't look bad. I just question what the material actually is.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 1:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by intrepidDesign View Post
I don't think that's brick. If you look closely you can see the distressing pattern clearly repeat in some of the "bricks". It doesn't look bad. I just question what the material actually is.
It's precast with brick inlay. Those are real bricks, just cut in half and laid in the form before they pour the panel. Not as cool as "real brick", but still has the pleasant effects we are all interested in. This is a proper way of using precast unlike the "ye olde limestone block" style of OBP et. al..

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development