HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Aug 16, 2019, 10:44 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Via cam

Old Posted Sep 7, 2019, 3:55 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Credit: NYY

Old Posted Sep 7, 2019, 3:56 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Black Construction Netting Shrouds 1568 Broadway For Imminent Demolition In Times Square

Quote:
Preparation for the demolition of 1568 Broadway is continuing to gear up as scaffolding and construction netting now shroud almost the entire 46-story Times Square tower. The 29-year old structure served as a DoubleTree hotel and will be replaced by a new hotel, with tenants yet to be announced. The proposed 550,000-square-foot development is called TSX Broadway and will preserve and lift the 106-year-old Palace Theatre three stories above the ground floor to make way for new retail space. The $2.5 billion project is being developed by L&L Holding Company, Maefield Development, and Fortress Investment Group.

New photos show the state of work on the structure, which is located at the corner of Seventh Avenue and West 47th Street.

The black netting now covers all but a small section around the midpoint of the building, and will soon envelope the entire 470-foot-tall superstructure. The digital billboards and flashing marquees have been dismantled and removed from the lower levels, temporarily exposing mechanical vents and massive diagonal trusses that support the building.

Renderings of the new structure show a cantilevered balcony three stories above street level surrounded by an expansive wraparound LED screen, which will be among the largest digital billboards in Times Square. An outdoor terrace will sit above the screen and form the top of the podium section. The upper portion of the tower is set back and maintains a similar massing to the building that currently occupies the site, suggesting that the superstructure may be preserved. It appears that the new hotel will feature a reflective and transparent glass curtain wall.
============
NYY

Old Posted Oct 6, 2019, 3:31 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Credit: 5Bfilms

Old Posted Oct 7, 2019, 12:45 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

@ Mods,

this should be moved to u/c section

Old Posted Oct 13, 2019, 9:58 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Via cams today.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2019, 3:13 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 2:07 AM
New Yorker for life

https://www.crainsnewyork.com/real-e...e-hotel-begins

Demolition for $2.5B Times Square hotel begins

RYAN DEFFENBAUGH
November 26, 2019

Quote:
Demolition has started on the former Doubletree Hotel in Times Square, paving the way for a plan to bring a massive new hotel and “experiential retail” hub to one of the most heavily trafficked corners in Manhattan.

Developer L&L Holdings hopes to complete by 2022 its $2.5 billion plan for a new 46-story tower at 1568 Broadway, called TSX Broadway, which will include a substantial renovation of the century-old Palace Theater. But first, the developer must tear down the existing 46-story hotel on the site, which sits on a corner of Times Square that last year saw 67 million visitors.

“You take it very slowly and with a lot of planning,” said David Orowitz, managing director at L&L Holdings, which is working with partners Maefield Development and Fortress Investment Group.
Quote:
Crews started the process of destroying the building floor by floor last week, starting with the 46th level. The debris and rubble from the old floors will be sorted and fired down the chute—the building’s former elevator shaft—to a crash pad at the bottom of the building.

The elevator shaft was reinforced with steel and angled metal plates to slow the debris' descent earlier this year. A Bobcat will pull the materials from the building to a staging area on-site, from which the junk will be hauled away.
Quote:
The developer has budgeted $50 million toward the demolition. Crews started stripping the building’s floors in March to prepare for the process.

But not all of the building will be destroyed. The developer must retain 25% of the original floor area to allow its new structure to be built under the same zoning rules as the original hotel. The zoning rules have changed since the construction of the original hotel in a way that would have limited the size of the new building. Maintaining part of the original building allows TSX an extra 80,000 square feet of space, Orowitz said.

Part of that 25% will be the Palace Theater. The theater closed with a final showing of "SpongeBob SquarePants: The Musical" in September 2018 to prepare for the project. Before it reopens in 2021, the theater will get a $50 million sprucing-up and be jacked up to sit above two of the 10 new floors of planned retail space.
Quote:
Orowitz said the teardown of the old building will make way for a design that capitalizes on the district’s nearly 400,000 daily visitors.

“When you walk around Times Square, the buildings were not designed to be open to the square, they weren't designed to be engaging spaces,” Orowitz said. “By lifting this theater 30 feet, we can reimagine the entire building.”

The end result will be 75,000 square feet of glassy retail space surrounding the theater, along with a 669-room hotel. The building will also host Time Square’s first permanent outdoor stage and al fresco dining terraces. All of which will be surrounded by 18,000 square feet of wraparound LED signage, sure to further light up a corner of Times Square already home to the tourist-magnet TKTS booth and red glowing staircase.
Quote:
“It could be a place for concerts on New Year's Eve, when it's really kind of epic,” Orowitz said of the stage space. “It could be TED Talks. We could put a car up there. The idea is that we're creating visual interest and excitement and providing people experiences in Times Square.”

The demolition is expected to last seven months. L&L has started some construction work toward the new building as well, which is expected to be completed within three years.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 8:35 AM
BANNED

All those flashy signs are impressive, but a nice twisting tower would be better. I'm holding out for some cool architecture that goes beyond big ad screens.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
All those flashy signs are impressive, but a nice twisting tower would be better. I'm holding out for some cool architecture that goes beyond big ad screens.
Don't hold your breath.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 10:30 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GertElim View Post
Don't hold your breath.
I know ny, it doesn't do that kind of stuff, especially in times square. But you never know, a hotel or something like that could break the mold someday. Again, i'm not saying it's going to happen, but it could. Given TS is a tourist mecca really anything is possible there. Eventually the ad screen space will be used up and somebody is going to do something crazy to get attention, and that could be some wacky building.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 2:50 PM
Show me the blueprints

Why is this building costing 2.5 billion dollars? Am I missing something?

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 4:18 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
Pretty silly statement. Times Square is all about those "flashy" signs. Or did you think the area is full of people looking for twisty towers? If yiu want that, go somewhere other than the glass and concrete canyons of New York. The choices are endless.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2019, 1:21 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Pretty silly statement. Times Square is all about those "flashy" signs. Or did you think the area is full of people looking for twisty towers? If yiu want that, go somewhere other than the glass and concrete canyons of New York. The choices are endless.

Again.....

I think Times Square will be more attractive with flashy architecture together with the flashy signs. I think people would prefer the place, especially tourists, if it had more than just ads and dull shops.

I don't think you understood what I was hinting at here. Basically, the signs are great, but a cool building would be far more interesting together with that and would be the icing on the cake. The place should be more than just a giant ad board, it has potential to have interesting architecture to enhance the atmosphere.

It would look even more futuristic and more of a spectacle for tourists than it currently is. Twisty tower is an example. It's a simple design preference. The towers could be anything, but more interesting than the boxes that are there now.

Last edited by aquablue; Dec 2, 2019 at 3:42 PM.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2019, 1:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Why is this building costing 2.5 billion dollars? Am I missing something?
Welcome to NYC and union construction.

They're building a new, taller, bulkier hotel on the steel of the old hotel, while lifting a 100 year old theater into the sky and building seven levels of retail. Still insanely overpriced.

I bet you they're including site acquisition costs too, which couldn't be less than a half-billion.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2019, 3:37 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Pics by me. Taken today.

@ Mods, can we move this to u/c section. Lol.

TSX Broadway 3 - 12-28-2019 by Christopher Estevez, on Flickr

TSX Broadway 2 - 12-28-2019 by Christopher Estevez, on Flickr

TSX Broadway 1 - 12-28-2019 by Christopher Estevez, on Flickr

Old Posted Dec 29, 2019, 5:45 AM

This one perplexes me still, are they really razing most of this relatively young 46 story hotel, and rebuilding it as a 46 story hotel? The renderings show a building that looks more like a reclad (which makes more sense on a surface level), but that's not what these articles are saying. The lower levels are of course completely reworked in a really impactful way, so I wonder if that's the driver.

Very curious about the reasoning behind this.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2019, 5:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSsocal View Post
This one perplexes me still, are they really razing most of this relatively young 46 story hotel, and rebuilding it as a 46 story hotel?
Yes. The zoning only allows the new building if they keep a portion of the old steel. It will be a new structure, but with existing steel, which is fairly common with new NYC buildings, to get around weird zoning restrictions. Time Warner Center and 425 Park are recent examples.

I don't know the floor count in the old or new building, but the new building will be around 150 ft. taller and significantly bulkier.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2019, 5:59 AM
Crane Goddess

It seems they're pulling a 425 Park Avenue on this building.
"Prayers are fleeting and wars are forgotten, but what is built endures"
-Ambassador DeLenn, Babylon 5

Old Posted Mar 27, 2020, 3:22 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive