HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 18, 2024, 1:49 PM

nice update! new season starts early Sept, wonder if the Pistons will start season there or in La Broquerie again.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2024, 8:01 PM

They'll most likely start the season in La Broquerie, looking at late December for substantial completion, but the project is moving pretty steadily now after some delays last fall with precast & structural steel.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2024, 1:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyk View Post
They'll most likely start the season in La Broquerie, looking at late December for substantial completion, but the project is moving pretty steadily now after some delays last fall with precast & structural steel.
looking forward to watching my kid's games there (but will be cheering for visiting team)

Old Posted Mar 19, 2024, 3:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
looking forward to watching my kid's games there (but will be cheering for visiting team)
Who is your son playing for?

Old Posted Mar 19, 2024, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKB View Post
Who is your son playing for?
he just finished 1st season as a 17 yr old with Selkirk Steelers.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2024, 5:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyk View Post
Progress at the SEC

Bethesda Regional Health Centre expansion visible in the background

Pretty amazing that Steinbach seems to have had some type of crane in operation for the last decade or so. Lots going on in this once quiet village.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2024, 6:02 PM

It will be a really great arena once completed but in the tier 3 category. I still remember a couple years ago when they made the official announcement, a spokesman said they would attempt to snag a WHL team in response to a reporter's question. That ain't happening even if Winnipeg had managed to keep the ICE.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2024, 6:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
It will be a really great arena once completed but in the tier 3 category. I still remember a couple years ago when they made the official announcement, a spokesman said they would attempt to snag a WHL team in response to a reporter's question. That ain't happening even if Winnipeg had managed to keep the ICE.
Tier 3 of what geographic area? What are your full tiers?

Old Posted Mar 19, 2024, 6:16 PM

Quote:
The Ice were doomed to fail, they were picking up steam with attendance but the ownership group failed to build the arena they were contractually obliged to build in order to keep the team. Doesn't help they planned to put their arena in the middle of a field 5 miles from any houses. What dumbasses lmao. Steinbach is too small for a "dub" team anytime soon though. 30-40k though? Maybe they'll be able to fill a 6000-7000 person barn. That said, they'd be no shortage of business support for the team, seems like there's a new business in Steinbach every day.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2024, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FactaNV View Post
The Ice were doomed to fail, they were picking up steam with attendance but the ownership group failed to build the arena they were contractually obliged to build in order to keep the team. Doesn't help they planned to put their arena in the middle of a field 5 miles from any houses. What dumbasses lmao. Steinbach is too small for a "dub" team anytime soon though. 30-40k though? Maybe they'll be able to fill a 6000-7000 person barn. That said, they'd be no shortage of business support for the team, seems like there's a new business in Steinbach every day.
I doubt most of us would ever see a 6000+ seat arena in Steinbach in our lifetimes, though who knows. Keystone Centre in Brandon is only 5,000 and Brandon only averages under 3,000 a year.

Is the WHL likely in Steinbach (or Winkler), probably not. Though it is in a realm of possibility. It would essentially be the scaled down version of the Jets in NHL. I do not think you can even have those conversations until the town could prove they would give high support and attendance to a MJHL team.

Overall though, while this looks like a very nice arena for the MJHL, I am not sure it would fit into the WHL. On the other hand, it is probably on par with the InnovationPlex in Swift Current and the Art Hauser Arena in Prince Albert, though the latter is perhaps getting replaced. Who knows, time will tell, but the town is getting a nice arena that will suit their needs in the meantime.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2024, 6:44 PM

no WHL going there. there's lots rumours floating around Junior hockey world about potentially other stuff happening, but I'm not on this "construction" forum to discuss Junior hockey leagues & rumours

Old Posted Mar 19, 2024, 8:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatland Metropolis View Post
I doubt most of us would ever see a 6000+ seat arena in Steinbach in our lifetimes, though who knows. Keystone Centre in Brandon is only 5,000 and Brandon only averages under 3,000 a year.

Is the WHL likely in Steinbach (or Winkler), probably not. Though it is in a realm of possibility. It would essentially be the scaled down version of the Jets in NHL. I do not think you can even have those conversations until the town could prove they would give high support and attendance to a MJHL team.

Overall though, while this looks like a very nice arena for the MJHL, I am not sure it would fit into the WHL. On the other hand, it is probably on par with the InnovationPlex in Swift Current and the Art Hauser Arena in Prince Albert, though the latter is perhaps getting replaced. Who knows, time will tell, but the town is getting a nice arena that will suit their needs in the meantime.
Agreed on your last line there. I was astounded by the amount of construction inSteinbach during my last visit. The city really is booming and thats great imo. Another semi-major city in the province is good for everyone. Now they just need a bloody rail connection haha.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2024, 2:25 AM

First tier arena - NHL-Sized rink

Second tier arena - WHL-Sized rink - from 4,000 - 10,000

Third-Tier arena - something around 1,000 - 3,000 capacity.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2024, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FactaNV View Post
Agreed on your last line there. I was astounded by the amount of construction in Steinbach during my last visit. The city really is booming and thats great imo. Another semi-major city in the province is good for everyone. Now they just need a bloody rail connection haha.
Many years ago the good people of Steinbach in the late 1800's rejected the Grand Trunk line coming thru as the Civic leaders thought having a rail link would bring "all sorts of worldly vices". Closest rail access are La Broquerie or Giroux (which at one time had a rail building called "Steinbach Station"). Both are about a 15 minute drive from Steinbach.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2024, 1:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
Many years ago the good people of Steinbach in the late 1800's rejected the Grand Trunk line coming thru as the Civic leaders thought having a rail link would bring "all sorts of worldly vices". Closest rail access are La Broquerie or Giroux (which at one time had a rail building called "Steinbach Station"). Both are about a 15 minute drive from Steinbach.
So dumb lol. I wonder if a spur to Steinbach would be worth it for local businesses?

Old Posted Mar 21, 2024, 1:47 PM

Quote:

Tiers on capacity, got it. That looks like a fair tier system.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2024, 10:04 PM

Quote:

Close mate but i would say slightly different.

#1 15,000+
#2 5,000 to 14,999
#3 2,000 to 4,999
#4 below 1,999

Old Posted Mar 21, 2024, 10:41 PM
the first stamp is free

^ tier 2 can't go that high. IMO tier 2 basically needs to stop around 10k, as more than this usually requires an upper deck, which automatically gets you into the 15k range. Multiple levels of seating is tier 1.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2024, 4:16 AM

15,000 is the benchmark minimum for professional teams. Many smaller arena have a second tier or even a third tier but are still well under 10,000 capacity.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2024, 11:45 AM

Sports attendance has been dropping, especially at the minor level and junior level in all sports period build a smaller facility and fill. It is better than having a large facility and sitting empty.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan