HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 5, 2019, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
I'm really not concerned. All of these large blocks that are being vacated from firms downsizing square footage or moving to new construction buildings, seem like they're being backfilled within 2 or 3 years by smaller firms.

It's also an iconic Philadelphia skyscraper, in a very hot and desirable neighborhood, connected directly to the third busiest transit hub in the country. It'll be fine.
My small firm is moving into Cira in September. Purely anecdotal, as my firm is way too small to move any sort of needle, but we're psyched as the general vibe from that space is upscale and cool - which was never the way you would describe that location a few years back.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2019, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
Big fan of the design for the new MLB building!
Looks great.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2019, 3:47 PM

^ Love it. With an anchor tenant secured this one is very likely to happen! Looks like earlier renderings of UCity Square.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2019, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Big fan of the design for the new MLB building!
Holy crap that looks great! Especially if that Brandywine tower across the street is going up!

Old Posted Jul 5, 2019, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
Looks great.
I do feel think these structures will look a bit strange next to this building: https://www.google.com/maps/place/22...7!4d-75.176905
A nice mixed use midrise could do well here. At the least, I hope the facades get cleaned up a bit. A good power wash could do wonders...

Old Posted Jul 5, 2019, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
Holy crap that looks great! Especially if that Brandywine tower across the street is going up!
Talk about filling in a dead zone!

Old Posted Jul 5, 2019, 3:55 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Sweet design on the 23rd and Market plot. Especially something of this height, I think they need to step up the design visually to stand out, and this does just that. It would be great if there were shovels in the ground by the end of this year if not sooner.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2019, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
Which lot? Next to the June 5 Memorial on the 2100 block? We don't have a render of that one yet, do we? I feel like there may be an old prototype render that looked pretty avant garde and interesting. But who knows if something resembling that would be built. This one: https://forum.skyscraperpage.com/sho...d.php?t=219243 Any news on this?

Old Posted Jul 5, 2019, 7:25 PM

Chubb, courted by developers, considers new Center City office tower

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...ew-center.html

Quote:
Parkway Corp. and Brandywine Realty Trust are chasing Chubb, the giant insurance company, as a tenant to kick off a new office tower.

Chubb now has its offices in space at 436 Walnut St. in the Old City neighborhood of Philadelphia. It is in the market looking for about 400,000 square feet of space to consolidate its locations and provide it with new, contemporary offices. In 2004, what was then Ace Ltd. paid $22 million to buy 360 Walnut, a 361,000-square-foot building for its new headquarters, and moved out of Two Liberty Place. It also occupies about 140,000 square feet in One Washington Square, which is next door.

In early 2016, Ace completed a $29.5 billion acquisition of fellow property and casualty insurance carrier Chubb and immediately took on the Chubb (NYSE: CB) name. It is the world’s largest publicly traded property and casualty insurer with a market capitalization of $51.2 billion, annual gross written premiums of $37 billion and total assets of about $150 billion. The company has 30,000 employees in 54 countries worldwide and its principal executive offices are in Zurich, Switzerland. Though it maintains offices in other parts of the United States, such as Wilmington Del., and Whitehorse Station, N.J., it largest group of U.S. employees is based at Chubb's Walnut Street offices in Philadelphia.

Parkway is marketing a site at 20th and Arch streets in Center City where it would build a roughly 400,000-square-foot office tower for Chubb, according to sources. Parkway declined to comment. Brandywine Realty has been marketing its Schuylkill Yards development in University City to prospective tenants including Chubb, according to people familiar with the situation. A representative from Brandywine (NYSE: BDN) couldn’t be immediately reached for comment.

Another option for Chubb would be to stay where it is located. The company wouldn’t comment on its search for new space or the possibility of locating in a building that would be constructed for it. “Chubb is always looking at our real estate options to meet our needs, but we have nothing to report at this time,” the company said in an email.

If Chubb decides to have a new building developed for the company, it could mean the possibility of two new office buildings coming out of the ground around the same time in Philadelphia, which is rare for the city. The other prospective office building that could get underway is at 2222 Market St., which is under consideration by Morgan Lewis. Parkway is also proposing to develop that building.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2019, 7:29 PM

hopefully this actually happens

Old Posted Jul 5, 2019, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boku View Post

Great stuff. Summers called the Arch Street development for them awhile ago, but I'd actually prefer it if they went to Schuylkill Yards. While it would be nice to see another new construction on Arch this side of the river, I'd rather see Schuylkill Yards "happen" and be realized faster.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2019, 9:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
My small firm is moving into Cira in September. Purely anecdotal, as my firm is way too small to move any sort of needle, but we're psyched as the general vibe from that space is upscale and cool - which was never the way you would describe that location a few years back.
What has changed? something in the building or just the general area?

Old Posted Jul 5, 2019, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Proposal to limit building width on some key historic blocks in Rittenhouse and prevent uglification, degradation, and blanderization of the City: https://www.inquirer.com/columnists/...ium%3Dsharebar I support this, with the caveat that the width limitation should be tweaked to carve out parking lots, vacant lots, above-ground garages. A new building that's not destroying anything should be able to be wider than 60 feet. The corner lot width is proposed at 100 street, so that helps for something like this lot at 20th and Walnut if it's more than 60 feet (which it may not be): https://www.google.com/maps/place/19...!4d-75.1737039 But fairly sure there are some non-corner garages on Sansom on these blocks that could appropriately become buildings wider than 60 feet, notwithstanding the street's narrowness. There may be a few non-corner lots on Chestnut that could handle wider buildings too. Not sure how wide the Boyds parking lot on Chestnut is, but that would be one appropriate parcel for a wider building if it's more than 60 feet.
This maximum street width idea is great, if I understand it correctly. I hope it is more widespread throughout Center City (although zoning/height limits might have the same effect in places like Society Hill). I can't see this article because I am 'at my limit this month' (aren't I always even though I swear I never read ANY Inquirer articles). Regarding the issue you raised, maybe this just applies to developments that combine lots so pre-existing large garages and lots would be exempted?

Old Posted Jul 5, 2019, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eixample View Post
This maximum street width idea is great, if I understand it correctly. I hope it is more widespread throughout Center City (although zoning/height limits might have the same effect in places like Society Hill). I can't see this article because I am 'at my limit this month' (aren't I always even though I swear I never read ANY Inquirer articles). Regarding the issue you raised, maybe this just applies to developments that combine lots so pre-existing large garages and lots would be exempted?
The width limitation is more to prevent another Jeweler's Row Toll Bros Tower than restrict height. Basically to prevent a developer from knocking down 5 irreplaceable (even if not designated) buildings on Walnut to put in one large footprint highrise. Protecting the small format buildings and aesthetic that gives these streets their iconic look and feel. Development pressures could foreseeably take us to a point where they are otherwise nearly eradicated. I actually don't think we should have this width limit on Market, JFK, and Arch or most other streets. Maybe Spruce should have them too? Sure, though I don't see much threat there (yet anyway). But we need the flexibility to have tall, wide-footprint buildings in our CBD, and these streets are not populated across their stretches -- for the most part -- with the kind of buildings we have on Walnut, Chestnut, and Sansom.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2019, 12:41 AM

Quote:
The width limitation is more to prevent another Jeweler's Row Toll Bros Tower than restrict height. Basically to prevent a developer from knocking down 5 irreplaceable (even if not designated) buildings on Walnut to put in one large footprint highrise. Protecting the small format buildings and aesthetic that gives these streets their iconic look and feel. Development pressures could foreseeably take us to a point where they are otherwise nearly eradicated. I actually don't think we should have this width limit on Market, JFK, and Arch or most other streets. Maybe Spruce should have them too? Sure, though I don't see much threat there (yet anyway). But we need the flexibility to have tall, wide-footprint buildings in our CBD, and these streets are not populated across their stretches -- for the most part -- with the kind of buildings we have on Walnut, Chestnut, and Sansom.
My point about height limits is just that in neighborhoods where you can't build over 38 feet or thereabouts, it is less likely someone is going to demolish a bunch of rowhomes or other narrow buildings to build a 3 story apartment building (unless the existing buildings are in bad shape and need to come down).

Outside of the main thouroughfares you mentioned, I would implement the maximum width all over center city. For example, Chinatown would benefit from only small format new developments. I think developers would adjust as well and we'd see more boutique office buildings that you would be more likely to see in a European city.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2019, 12:43 AM

Old Posted Jul 6, 2019, 1:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Wide View Post
What has changed? something in the building or just the general area?
I was speaking about the general area around 30th Street.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2019, 8:37 PM
i heart philly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boku View Post

Would rather have chubb pick the brandywine site. Would love to see SY get going.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2019, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenster View Post
Would rather have chubb pick the brandywine site. Would love to see SY get going.
Agree.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2019, 12:38 PM
Cory Trevor Leahy

This is being solicited to developers right now-- probably (hopefully) just a mock-up for the listing

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations