HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Dec 23, 2015, 4:18 PM
Vote for me for Mayor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by untitledreality View Post
+1

But really, I would be fine with anyone of these seven other than Adjaye and SHoP.
Any particular reason?

Old Posted Dec 23, 2015, 6:07 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
I'm surprised no one here has expressed love for David Adjaye
Nothing against Adjaye, he's a great architect... but he's been the presumed favorite for awhile due (sadly) to his skin color.

I'm glad they are holding a competition - not sure if this is a sham or not, but at least they are giving the appearance that they want to choose the best overall scheme and not just an architect who will give them liberal street cred. (Adjaye could very well have the best design, I would be very happy if he did...)

It's hard to come up with criteria for the design when the U of C still won't say whether they want to use the Washington Park or Jackson Park site, and is requiring the finalists to prepare designs for both.... this unfortunately will encourage the finalists to design an object building that is not linked to its site closely and will stand apart from its surroundings. The stringent NARA security guidelines also don't help. That would be a terrible shame, given Obama's personal focus on building and integrating communities.

Last edited by ardecila; Dec 23, 2015 at 6:18 PM.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2015, 7:03 PM

I'm surprised to see DS&R on the short list, and I'd be surprised again if they're chosen. Their designs tend to not have the gravitas that this project needs, IMO.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2015, 7:59 PM
Vote for me for Mayor!

If anyone is objecting to Adjaye because he is black, come the fuck off it. I'm sure if he wins it will be a reason to discredit his win.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2015, 8:46 AM

Stand down. Nobodys racist. I like black buildings every bit as much as white ones

Old Posted Dec 29, 2015, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPChicago View Post
Any particular reason?
Adjaye's work is too simplistic for my liking, they are not projects which can be revisited and rediscovered, time and time again. I also feel that his track record with large commissions is spotty.

As for SHoP, you just never know what you are going to get. There are plenty of great ideas floating through that massive office of theirs, but since you don't know outright who will lead the design, you cannot know which direction the project will take.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2015, 5:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by untitledreality View Post
Adjaye's work is too simplistic for my liking, they are not projects which can be revisited and rediscovered, time and time again. I also feel that his track record with large commissions is spotty.

As for SHoP, you just never know what you are going to get. There are plenty of great ideas floating through that massive office of theirs, but since you don't know outright who will lead the design, you cannot know which direction the project will take.
SHoP is tricky, some of their stuff is good, but lots of it looks like sliced minimalism with bigger budgets and more gimmicky tchotch tacked on to the facade.

Love it or hate it, but Adjaye would be a good addition to the Vinoly, Jahn, MAD, Foster, possibly BIG, Gang and (arguably) Stern super group that's coming through in the next few years. He would add to Chicago as a global architecture destination as opposed to just an american one, as well.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2015, 9:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XIII View Post

Love it or hate it, but Adjaye would be a good addition to the Vinoly, Jahn, MAD, Foster, possibly BIG, Gang and (arguably) Stern super group that's coming through in the next few years. He would add to Chicago as a global architecture destination as opposed to just an american one, as well.
Man, Chicago is really falling behind the rest of the world when it comes to design isn't it?

Old Posted Dec 30, 2015, 3:57 AM
Walk taker

Delete

Old Posted Dec 30, 2015, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Man, Chicago is really falling behind the rest of the world when it comes to design isn't it?
Sarcasm? Or referring to architects?

Old Posted Jan 19, 2016, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPChicago View Post
If anyone is objecting to Adjaye because he is black, come the fuck off it. I'm sure if he wins it will be a reason to discredit his win.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2016, 9:52 PM
BANNED

This forum never stops amazing me. Everyone's dismissal of David Adjaye is frankly disheartening. I realize he's no Adrian Smith or whatever goofy skyscraper architecture you guys are all into, but come on. The Sugar Hill Housong Project in Harlem is one of the best buildings in New York. He's also the genius behind the new African American Art museum in DC, which I've only seen pictures of but looks like another grand slam.

We'd be so lucky to get an Adjaye designed Presidential Library. Don't be absurd guys.

dezeen

adjaye

Last edited by Tom Servo; Jan 19, 2016 at 10:04 PM.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2016, 12:00 AM
TL;DR

^ That. Sadly, the architectural profession has strikingly few African-Americans, and virtually none of them have risen to the profession's top tier.

Adjaye is a great architect. But we shouldn't pretend like an Adjaye victory in the Obama competition would be some kind of marquee victory for civil rights.

That being said, Adjaye as an Englishman often pairs up with Phil Freelon, who is a pretty decent African-American architect and strives to hire talented young black designers.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2016, 12:01 AM
BANNED

^^You'd hope so, but don't count on this administration. Are there any Illegal Alien architecture firms? Because I'd bet my money on the library being awarded to them.

All that aside, Adjaye does some pretty cool work.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2016, 7:20 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
ttps://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20160211/washington-park/washington-park-has-edge-for-obama-library-advisor-says

Washington Park Has the Edge for Obama Library, Adviser Says
February 11, 2016

On Thursday, Paul Goldberger, former architecture critic for the New Yorker and an adviser to the Obama Foundation, told architecture site Common Edge that Washington Park was a better fit for the library and many of those around Obama recognized that.

“The Washington Park site is the more exciting possibility, because it is the less conventionally ‘presidential’ site,” Goldberger said. “Most of the people close to him feel the same way.”

He [added] both the president and first lady Michelle Obama leaned toward modern and refined designs in architecture.

“They like modern things quite genuinely,” Goldberger said. “They do not want a traditional building. I don’t want to cite any particular architect, for obvious reasons, but there’s a certain kind of, let’s say ‘tailored modernism,’ that they respond best to.”
Interesting. Glad the Washington Park site is favored. Much more opportunity for urban regeneration and transit access.

Also, it sounds like there is at least one or two architects that are the favorites. If I had to guess, Renzo Piano and maybe Williams/Tsien best fit the "tailored modernism" epithet. I would love to see Williams/Tsien land this project, as Renzo Piano has little knowledge of American urbanism specifically and tends to repeat himself while Williams/Tsien are American themselves and develop a different language for every project.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2016, 7:46 PM

Really glad to hear that the WP site is favored. It has much better transit access and it also is closer to some other interesting projects that Theaster Gates and U of Chicago have been doing the last few years.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2016, 9:16 PM

sorry if ive missed it, but what has Theaster Gates done besides the Stony Island building?

Old Posted Feb 11, 2016, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
sorry if ive missed it, but what has Theaster Gates done besides the Stony Island building?
Damn, I'm disappointed more people on here don't know. He gets the most credit for the Stony Island Arts Bank, but that's definitely not the first thing he's done or possibly the largest. He did the Dorchester Projects which is still ongoing and close to the bank. IMO that's actually cooler than the bank, honestly (but the reading room in real life is pretty impressive there)

All of his sites in Chicago so far (minus a few businesses he opened which I list later):
https://rebuild-foundation.org/sites/

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/08/us/08cncculture.html
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...111-story.html

He also opened the Currency Exchange Cafe in Washington Park, next to the U of C Arts Incubator. He also just recently opened a book store next to that and I believe there are plans for a music venue:

http://www.chicagoreader.com/Bleader...ashington-park
http://southsideweekly.com/gates-to-...shington-park/

Honestly, he's probably my favorite person in the city of Chicago currently. His Washington Park stuff along with the U of C Arts Incubator is semi close to the Washington Park site.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2016, 9:34 PM

Cool, the Dorchester Project rings a bell. Is there any way to visit or is it an appointment only sort of thing?

Old Posted Feb 11, 2016, 9:44 PM
Urbane observer

^You can walk around the outside, or attend an event in the commons room.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development