HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 22, 2022, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Toronto local coverage really benefits from having national networks and all of their resources and infrastructure simply based there, often in the same building.

You definitely get that with the francophone networks based in Montreal as well.
Even in smaller markets like London, local TV covers city hall a lot more than what I see in BC. CTV London, despite various cutbacks over the past 20 years, still covers London’s city hall quite well.

I watched Le Telejournal 22h recently and was surprised to see that it felt more like a provincial newscast than a national newscast, and it included quite a bit of news of local interest to various parts of Quebec (such as a car accident in Montreal or a proposed expansion to Montreal’s metro). Granted, there’s a provincial election campaign right now in Quebec, but there was absolutely no Canadian news from outside Quebec in the whole hour. Only other stories were about Queen Elizabeth’s upcoming funeral and the war in Ukraine. I’d expect that from TVA but not a national public broadcaster.

The commercials were even for Quebec regional businesses like IGA, and Quebec government PSAs. I was watching on the BC Radio-Canada (ICI Columbie-Britannique), which has its own regional newscast at 6:00.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2022, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Yup, TVA's local news out its Gatineau looks like rinky-dink community TV compared to Radio-Canada's flashy, state-of-the-art studio that they broadcast from.

TVA's 6 pm newscast in this local market would probably do even worse if they didn't have the TVA juggernaut main network news programming right before it at 5 pm, and which drives many viewers to it simply because they don't bother to change the channel.
Doesn’t help that Gatineau’s TVA isn’t owned by TVA; it’s an independent affiliate that uses the TVA branding. Owned by a company called Radio-Nord.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2022, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
The 5-6 PM Live at Five segment does skew towards Halifax public interest stories, but this has improved somewhat. The main 6-7 PM CTV regional newscast is actually fairly balanced between NB & NS news. PEI usually only gets one item over the course of the entire two hour program. Curiously, if there is a part of the region overrepresented on the newscast, it tends to be Cape Breton, where they have two full time reporters, for a local population base of about 150,000.
In Cape Breton’s case, there is a separately licensed station, so I’m guessing they get the amount of news coverage they do for licensing reasons.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2022, 11:05 PM

Quote:
CTV Atlantic concentrates almost exclusively on NB & NS news, and only recently actually physically stationed a correspondent on PEI.
They always had people on PEI, until this. There were usually three people stationed there who would produce a feature story for Jive at Five and a hard news story for 6 pm and usually a recut or script and b roll for the noon newscast and the suppertime shows and ASN.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2022, 11:05 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post
Doesn’t help that Gatineau’s TVA isn’t owned by TVA; it’s an independent affiliate that uses the TVA branding. Owned by a company called Radio-Nord.
Correct. Radio-Nord also owns the Gatineau Noovo station (formerly TQS and later V).

They own the TVA station in Abitibi-Témiscamingue as well.

AFAIK these are the only two in Quebec that are not network-owned.

They also have a bunch of radio stations.

Programming on Radio-Nord's TVA stations is 100% similar to the rest of the network though. Most people wouldn't know the difference.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2022, 11:09 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
In Cape Breton’s case, there is a separately licensed station, so I’m guessing they get the amount of news coverage they do for licensing reasons.
I'm sure that's part of it, but Moncton has a licensed station too (CKCW-TV), but they recently closed the studio here, and went down to a single reporter stationed in Moncton. I think they want two here, but have been having trouble with local recruitment (who wants to be a video journalist with no back up whatsoever, in a far flung outpost of the empire).

Perhaps CTV Atlantic made the decision to cut staffing in Moncton to create a position in PEI again.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2022, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Shit! I just checked and the CBC PEI newscast still has the same name!
Compost?

Old Posted Sep 22, 2022, 11:13 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
Compost?
Close..........

Old Posted Sep 22, 2022, 11:13 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Even in smaller markets like London, local TV covers city hall a lot more than what I see in BC. CTV London, despite various cutbacks over the past 20 years, still covers London’s city hall quite well.

I watched Le Telejournal 22h recently and was surprised to see that it felt more like a provincial newscast than a national newscast, and it included quite a bit of news of local interest to various parts of Quebec (such as a car accident in Montreal or a proposed expansion to Montreal’s metro). Granted, there’s a provincial election campaign right now in Quebec, but there was absolutely no Canadian news from outside Quebec in the whole hour. Only other stories were about Queen Elizabeth’s upcoming funeral and the war in Ukraine. I’d expect that from TVA but not a national public broadcaster.

The commercials were even for Quebec regional businesses like IGA, and Quebec government PSAs. I was watching on the BC Radio-Canada (ICI Columbie-Britannique), which has its own regional newscast at 6:00.
That's not impossible but a bit surprising as they usually make it a point of having items from outside Quebec to underline the fact that they are a pan-Canadian network.

On occasion, it even comes across as a bit off and forced.

Overall about 15% of Canadian francophones live outside Quebec, but if we're being honest probably only about half of those outside Quebec on a good day actually consume media in French on a regular basis. (The numbers aren't significantly better for stuff produced in French locally in say Ontario or Manitoba, as opposed to national stuff out of Montreal.)

Whereas close to 100% of Quebec francophones consume media in French.

So realistically about 90% of Radio-Canada TV and radio's audience is in Quebec, and probably close to half is within an hour's drive of downtown Montreal.

(I am not making this up. In my career I've worked for a couple of outfits who had an interest in the media consumption habits of this demographic, and in turning them on to francophone content more - if possible.)

Old Posted Sep 22, 2022, 11:17 PM

Quote:
been having trouble with local recruitment (who wants to be a video journalist with no back up whatsoever, in a far flung outpost of the empire).
Is that true, I know a time when people would have given their left nut (boob) for that.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2022, 11:31 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
Is that true, I know a time when people would have given their left nut (boob) for that.
Most recently there was a new female recruit in Moncton who hailed from London ON. She lasted about two months here before landing her dream job back in London. A couple of other young female carpetbaggers from Upper Canada also moved on quickly.

The latest videographer in Moncton is an ex newspaper reporter (Times & Transcript). He's doing a good job, and, as a local boy, I'm sure he'll stay around.

Before the Londoner, the two reporters stationed in Moncton both moved to Halifax (at about the same time, leaving us high and dry). Jonathon McGinnis was an excellent reporter, and was stationed in Moncton for a considerable time, but, he was a NS native, and when a senior reporting job became available in Halifax, he went for it. Eilish Bonang had not been here for so long, but got a job as a morning anchor on the Global station in Halifax. Definitely a career advancement.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2022, 1:17 AM

CBC TV has absolutely nothing for Northern Ontario when it comes to news and regional programming. CTV still has TV news from Sudbury which covers Northeastern Ontario and Muskoka and has reporters in each city but it's almost all about incidents involving police and firefighters. (highway accidents, robberies, murders, violent incidents, homelessness, fires, etc.) Quite depressing. We used to have local news and programming on our local CTV channel but that was cut in the 2000s and now it's regional. Northwestern Ontario has nothing for TV news or programming as far as I know.

Now CBC Radio has regional programming and news only for Northern Ontario. There is no private sector equivalent for that.

A big complaint around here is that CBC News is way too Toronto-centric which I'm sure is similar in many other parts of Canada.

Last edited by Loco101; Sep 23, 2022 at 1:57 AM.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2022, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Close..........
Does it 'cover the island like the dew'.?

Old Posted Sep 23, 2022, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
CBC TV has absolutely nothing for Northern Ontario when it comes to news and regional programming. CTV still has TV news from Sudbury which covers Northeastern Ontario and Muskoka and has reporters in each city but it's almost all about incidents involving police and firefighters. (highway accidents, robberies, murders, violent incidents, homelessness, fires, etc.) Quite depressing. We used to have local news and programming on our local CTV channel but that was cut in the 2000s and now it's regional. Northwestern Ontario has nothing for TV news or programming as far as I know.

Now CBC Radio has regional programming and news only for Northern Ontario. There is no private sector equivalent for that.

A big complaint around here is that CBC News is way too Toronto-centric which I'm sure is similar in many other parts of Canada.
The local CTV outlet in TB has a newscast.

https://ckprthunderbay.com/shows.aspx?showid=L00089

Old Posted Sep 23, 2022, 10:45 AM

The CTV 2 station in Wingham (population 2,934] had its own local news until the 2000s.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2022, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post

Same for Western Manitoba. CKX in Brandon used to be the CBC affiliate for Wesman and Eastern SK. That all ended about 20 years ago now and CBC Manitoba is very Winnipeg centric (of course more that 80% of the province lives there), does CKND even exist anymore?

Old Posted Sep 23, 2022, 5:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
does CKND even exist anymore?
Still exists as Global Winnipeg.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2022, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
The CTV 2 station in Wingham (population 2,934] had its own local news until the 2000s.
CKNX was an interesting case. Their main market was Grey-Bruce, which these days has a population of around 160,000. It was not the smallest market in Canada for a TV station, though comparable in population to PEI. Of course, they also had coverage in Huron and Perth, and also into Waterloo and Wellington, which were more competitive areas with the London and Kitchener stations. The little bit I've seen of that station on YouTube from the 1980s, it was a very low-budget operation compared to CKCO, which also covered that area.

The economics for running a standalone private TV station in a market that size in Canada are not that good; PEI would likely not have any local TV news these days if not for the CBC.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2022, 6:05 PM

CBC needs to be privatized. Other than parts of the National there's nothing they do a private network doesn't. Gov't needs to provide support for mandated news services to all Cdn networks.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2022, 11:51 PM

CBC is shutting its China Bureau after 40 years. Trudeau Sr must be rolling in his grave. China stonewalling the free press, who'd have thunk it.

CBC shutting down its China news bureau
Move comes after visa request was met by months-long silence from Chinese officials
CBC News · Posted: Nov 02, 2022

CBC News is shutting down its Beijing news bureau after a more-than-40-year presence in China, saying it was forced to take the step after officials have ignored repeated requests for a journalist work visa.

"There is no point keeping an empty bureau when we could easily set up elsewhere in a different country that welcomes journalists and respects journalistic scrutiny," said CBC News editor-in-chief Brodie Fenlon, announcing the move in a blog posted Wednesday.

"Closing the Beijing bureau is the last thing we want to do, but our hand has been forced."

The decision follows numerous exchanges and requests for meetings with the Chinese Consulate in Montreal since October 2020 to procure a visa for Philippe Leblanc, a journalist with Radio-Canada, CBC's French-language counterpart....

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/china...down-1.6637691

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada