HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Jan 3, 2022, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinlee View Post
4 stations... it wouldve been the same size as Pittsburgh's anemic system.
Cincinnati's subway, as-built, has three stations (Race St., Liberty St., Brighton Corner). Wall cutouts (but not platform boxes) were built for a fourth station at Mohawk Corner.

The existing cheaply built 2-mile canal subway was intended to extend southward under Walnut St. as a traditional cut-and-cover (requiring extensive underpinning and utility relocation) with a single, very busy station situated between 4th and 5th St. The line was planned to surface onto an el over Pearl St. (now I-71 Ft. Washington Way) with a single elevated station at Butler St., near the north approach to the L&N railroad bridge.

Cincinnati also has the Riverfront Transit Center, which is a very large underground transit facility built to accommodate future rail, but which has only handled buses since it opened in 2003.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2022, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
i dont think so. had it opened when originally intended it would be much more than that today. you dont stand still or go back when something like a subway system gets started up, you only go forward. someday the streetcar light rail system cinci is now building may find a way to incorporate the tunnel. once its a success and shuts the critics down that is. even if not, of course its always going to be there, so i would never count it out.
I think people would be surprised to see just how big-time Cincinnati's plan was. It was built to the same specs as Boston's Red Line but several existing surface interurban lines were expected to convert to run their equipment directly onto the city-owned railway. So imagine the Mattapan High Speed line and the like converting to operate directly onto the Red Line, but several examples of that. If Cincinnati's system would have broken ground 2-3 years earlier it would have been completed (the WWI delay + resulting devaluation of gold caused the budget problems) and it would be one of the most unique systems in the United States.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2022, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinlee View Post
4 stations... it wouldve been the same size as Pittsburgh's anemic system.
I feel like Pittsburgh designed its subway system to avoid as many people as possible.

Either that, or there are a lot more people in the south side of the metro than I realize.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2022, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBruin View Post
I feel like Pittsburgh designed its subway system to avoid as many people as possible.

Either that, or there are a lot more people in the south side of the metro than I realize.
Pittsburgh's current system wasn't "designed".

Old Posted Jan 4, 2022, 10:22 PM

Phoenix has no underground stations, But the airport line that runs from 44th/street and Washington to The Rental Car center has both elevated stations and some trenched rail sections

Not technically mass transit but its open to the public and is connected directly to the main light rail line.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2022, 11:27 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

If counting municipalities with underground stations, we have these non-central municipalities I can find:

(MTA/PATH/Newark Subway, HBL)
Hoboken, NJ
Jersey City, NJ
Newark, NJ (ok, kind of a central municipality)

(MBTA)
Cambridge, MA
Somerville, MA

(PATCO)
Camden, PA

(WMATA, don't know this system well, coudl have missed some)
Forest Glen, MD
Silver Spring, MD
Capol Heights, MD
Bethesda, MD
Arlington, VA

(MARTA, don't know this system well, could have missed some)
Decatur, GA

(BART)
Oakland (ok, kind of a central municipality)
Berkeley
San Bruno ?
San Jose

(Metrolink)
University City?

Old Posted Jan 5, 2022, 7:30 PM

Buffalo's light rail system has 8 underground stations that run under Main Street from Theater District to UB South Campus.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2022, 9:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
SF also has 2 subway stations (4th & Townsend and Salesforce Transit Center) in the pipeline for Caltrain and 1 for CAHSR (Salesforce Transit Center) as part of a Downtown Rail Extension project via a 1.3 mile tunnel from the existing 4th & King station.
Also, there are plans to extend the Market Street subway all the way to SFSU/Park Merced, rather than having it end at West Portal as it currently does. So that would be a few more subway stations. Maybe 3 or 4?

Then there's the potential future extension of the central subway, which would add at least one more station, in North Beach, as well as the new BART transbay tube (when they finally build it in 500 years), which would probably include at least one more station in SF (or many more, if they include a new subway down Geary/19th avenue).

Old Posted Jan 18, 2022, 9:10 PM

Austin has 5 possibly 6 underground stations planned after our $7billion project connect passed.
https://projectconnect.com/docs/libr...rsn=768e4c75_2

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation