HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 27, 2021, 7:27 PM

Yep. That along with the fact that outdoor amenities/ private outdoor amenities is a huge selling point in current office design, and will continue to be post corvid. The setback cutout is one way of providing that.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2021, 7:31 PM

As I pointed out in the previous post, plans include renovating the current 6 story building on the same block. These new buildings will be about the same height for the brick portion and have a similar architectural style. They are basically creating an imposing structure that will take up 3/4 of an entire block and from the street level be a similar style.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2021, 8:11 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrinChi View Post
They're trying to make it look like they preserved an old warehouse and added a two-story modern addition on top. I'm sure it fools the average viewer.

It's just so dumb.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2021, 8:16 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlw777 View Post
I'm not advocating for a bunch of soulless architecture. I just think that imitations diminish the authenticity and value of the original. I think it's much better to have contrast that highlights and draws attention to the authentic. I think this benefits preservation efforts because it's common sense that people are much less likely to get rid of something that is obviously unique than something that without more scrutiny appears to be ubiquitous.

This same sort of thinking is the reason why the design guidelines for new construction in the Michigan Avenue Historic District ask for contemporary designs that do not replicate historic designs.

from Guidelines

Exactly. This faux imitations - or at least the vast majority of them - actually undermine authentic historic structures and districts - and the overall goals of preservation. It's always been such simple, intuitive concept to understand for me, and I admit I often struggle to get why it's so difficult for many people.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2021, 8:23 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibba View Post
I hope it gets axed. It's very cheesy and already looks dated (and hasn't been built yet).

I'll tell you what - I find those rounded corners of the windows absolutely grating. Those definitely need to go. That is super cheesy.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2021, 3:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
As I pointed out in the previous post, plans include renovating the current 6 story building on the same block. These new buildings will be about the same height for the brick portion and have a similar architectural style. They are basically creating an imposing structure that will take up 3/4 of an entire block and from the street level be a similar style.
I see that now - didn't realize before that a portion of the brick structure is original. Makes the addition less contrived. I actually like the aesthetic of going modern when adding to historic structures, it just deserves an eye-roll when they do it on an entirely brand new building.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2021, 9:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
I'll tell you what - I find those rounded corners of the windows absolutely grating. Those definitely need to go. That is super cheesy.
They're the hokiest aspect of the design. And I don't anticipate the materials to depart from the other Adjmi/Related project, Landmark. And the 'metal' of that building looks like plastic (and may very well be, or at best be a composite material with enough polymer in the mix to read as plastic).

Old Posted Jan 29, 2021, 1:52 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
They're the hokiest aspect of the design. And I don't anticipate the materials to depart from the other Adjmi/Related project, Landmark. And the 'metal' of that building looks like plastic (and may very well be, or at best be a composite material with enough polymer in the mix to read as plastic).
It's not exposed steel framing, but it's likely a powder coated aluminum sheet that is formed or extruded into those wide-flange profiles to imitate steel. It won't be plastic. We've seen plenty of other West Loop buildings do similar, or that new building at LaSalle/Illinois.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2021, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
It's not exposed steel framing, but it's likely a powder coated aluminum sheet that is formed or extruded into those wide-flange profiles to imitate steel. It won't be plastic. We've seen plenty of other West Loop buildings do similar, or that new building at LaSalle/Illinois.
Yeah, I think it needs to be kept to smaller profiles to get a pass. If that Related building turns out close to the rendering, it's going to be a lot of that material (and the artificiality will be easy to read).

Old Posted Jan 29, 2021, 7:31 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Yeah, I think it needs to be kept to smaller profiles to get a pass. If that Related building turns out close to the rendering, it's going to be a lot of that material (and the artificiality will be easy to read).
Meh I see it as a nice alternative to the flat window walls we typically get on developer projects. It adds a lot of depth which is sorely lacking on a lot of new highrises. It also looks like Adjmi found an aluminum coating that has a patina, so it's not a flat color. Not sure if they are using this in Chicago though.

Even Mies clipped steel W sections to his mullions (which is a no-no today because of the energy code unless thermally broken).

Old Posted Jan 29, 2021, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Meh I see it as a nice alternative to the flat window walls we typically get on developer projects. It adds a lot of depth which is sorely lacking on a lot of new highrises. It also looks like Adjmi found an aluminum coating that has a patina, so it's not a flat color. Not sure if they are using this in Chicago though.

Even Mies clipped steel W sections to his mullions (which is a no-no today because of the energy code unless thermally broken).
The depth will be welcome, I agree. I would love if they would ditch the arch spandrels, though (well, the whole 'arch' concept altogether) for the tower portion. I can imagine enjoying it on the base while walking past at street level, especially at a larger, sweeping scale such that it's obvious that it's a nod (and not trying to deceive).

Old Posted Jan 31, 2021, 7:13 PM

YIMBY just covered the news that Pritzker bought 555 W Monroe to start moving out of Thompson Center.

https://chicagoyimby.com/2021/01/mov...placement.html

What concept is your favorite? I think JAHN's proposal is good since we get a supertall, but can keep the center and repurpose it.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2021, 8:24 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by archguy View Post
YIMBY just covered the news that Pritzker bought 555 W Monroe to start moving out of Thompson Center.

What concept is your favorite? I think JAHN's proposal is good since we get a supertall, but can keep the center and repurpose it.
Jahn's proposal looks amazing to me (almost evokes a Thompson Walled City vibe), but I don't know how realistic it is.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2021, 4:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by archguy View Post

I'd like to see the Jahn vision as well. . . reminiscent of his more angular 1990s work, much of which never got built, sadly. . .

. . .

Old Posted Feb 1, 2021, 5:53 PM
TL;DR

Jahn's proposal is far too slender for the open-concept offices that tech companies want. There's a reason they are happy to go to bulky midrises like Merch Mart, OPO, or the Fulton brickhouses.

It's really too slender to work for offices at all, even financial or law - too inefficient, the core will eat up most of the area on each floorplate. Could work for residential I guess, but I don't see millionaires lining up to live in the most boring part of the Loop. Loop residential is really only desirable for young, mid-income, early-career people who want to be close to work.

I just don't see a preservation outcome here, although I would love for it to happen. The state is looking for an enormous payday, which practically guarantees that any developer will need a complete teardown to make the project pencil given the land cost. They may even need to do some kind of state partnership to override local zoning and get FAR that Ald. Reilly would never allow in a million years.

Last edited by ardecila; Feb 1, 2021 at 6:05 PM.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2021, 7:06 PM

525 S. Wabash on the February 2021 Plan Commission

A proposed planned development and a proposed Lake Michigan and Chicago Lakefront Protection Ordinance Application, submitted by Eterra Plus LLC, for the property generally located at 525 S. Wabash Avenue, within the Private-Use Zone of the Lake Michigan and Chicago Lakefront Protection District. The Applicant is proposing to rezone the property from DX-12 (Downtown Mixed-Use District) to a Residential-Business Planned Development to construct a mixed-use residential and hotel development consisting of a 23-story and a 36-story tower connected by a commercial and parking base. The development will contain 777 residential units, 314 hotel keys, 42,000 square feet of commercial space, amenity space, and 151 accessory parking spaces.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2021, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
525 S. Wabash on the February 2021 Plan Commission

A proposed planned development and a proposed Lake Michigan and Chicago Lakefront Protection Ordinance Application, submitted by Eterra Plus LLC, for the property generally located at 525 S. Wabash Avenue, within the Private-Use Zone of the Lake Michigan and Chicago Lakefront Protection District. The Applicant is proposing to rezone the property from DX-12 (Downtown Mixed-Use District) to a Residential-Business Planned Development to construct a mixed-use residential and hotel development consisting of a 23-story and a 36-story tower connected by a commercial and parking base. The development will contain 777 residential units, 314 hotel keys, 42,000 square feet of commercial space, amenity space, and 151 accessory parking spaces.
Is that this surface lot / small parking garage? If so, that's great other than the loss of the art on the garage. (and thankfully the bubblegum chewing moose across the street shouldn't be impacted).

Old Posted Feb 1, 2021, 9:43 PM

I really like the 525 proposal, going to provide some nice 2nd level of depth to the street wall.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2021, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Jahn's proposal is far too slender for the open-concept offices that tech companies want. There's a reason they are happy to go to bulky midrises like Merch Mart, OPO, or the Fulton brickhouses.

It's really too slender to work for offices at all, even financial or law - too inefficient, the core will eat up most of the area on each floorplate. Could work for residential I guess, but I don't see millionaires lining up to live in the most boring part of the Loop. Loop residential is really only desirable for young, mid-income, early-career people who want to be close to work.

I just don't see a preservation outcome here, although I would love for it to happen. The state is looking for an enormous payday, which practically guarantees that any developer will need a complete teardown to make the project pencil given the land cost. They may even need to do some kind of state partnership to override local zoning and get FAR that Ald. Reilly would never allow in a million years.
Agree with all of this. It is coming down. Get ready for a ton of rental units, a hotel or two or three, and maybe some limited office component. Have to imagine a sale will be contingent on the state conferring a certain amount of guaranteed FAR to the buyer.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2021, 10:37 PM
TL;DR

^ Yeah I'm not sure how the state can "confer" FAR onto a private owner, it may need to be done like some of the big projects in NYC where they create a state-owned "Prairie State Development Corporation" to formally be the developer, with a turnover to the private partner after construction.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations