HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Dec 18, 2020, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I feel like the era of large-scale public sculptures has passed. That Calatrava piece at River Point is great, but I can't remember the last permanent sculpture installed downtown previous to that.

It served a purpose to humanize the impersonal complexes of Modernism, but now large developments have a range of architectural styles which are softened by warmer colors/materials and curved or angled lines. The open spaces usually lean more towards grassy lawns than granite plazas. "Activation" is achieved with events and activities rather than objects of art.
Was Cloud Gate installed in a different era?

Old Posted Dec 19, 2020, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildThemTaller View Post
Certainly feels like a different era

Old Posted Dec 19, 2020, 6:36 PM
Development Shill

Quote:
I feel like the era of large-scale public sculptures has passed. That Calatrava piece at River Point is great, but I can't remember the last permanent sculpture installed downtown previous to that.

It served a purpose to humanize the impersonal complexes of Modernism, but now large developments have a range of architectural styles which are softened by warmer colors/materials and curved or angled lines. The open spaces usually lean more towards grassy lawns than granite plazas. "Activation" is achieved with events and activities rather than objects of art.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2020, 11:43 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildThemTaller View Post
Millennium Park opened almost 17 years ago! There's also that weird Agora piece down at Roosevelt, but that is just as old now.

There's been temporary stuff in Pioneer Court, Pritzker Park, etc but I'm struggling to think of anything permanent completed since 2005-ish, other than the Calatrava at River Point.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2020, 2:04 AM

Quote:
Millennium Park opened almost 17 years ago! There's also that weird Agora piece down at Roosevelt, but that is just as old now.

There's been temporary stuff in Pioneer Court, Pritzker Park, etc but I'm struggling to think of anything permanent completed since 2005-ish, other than the Calatrava at River Point.
If something new was installed every year we'd run out of plaza's downtown very quickly. ~15 years is a reasonable time gap between monumental sculptures IMO

Old Posted Dec 20, 2020, 4:53 PM

Quote:

What is an era? I mean, if most of the people that decided to install the sculpture are still around, I don't think we are in a new era. These things last multiple generations. Getting a nice new piece of public art every 10-20 years or so in the Loop or adjacent parks seems like an appropriate pace to me.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2020, 8:51 PM
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandalf612 View Post
If something new was installed every year we'd run out of plaza's downtown very quickly. ~15 years is a reasonable time gap between monumental sculptures IMO
Well, hopefully, we get another one in a lot less time than that outside Salesforce Tower. Given that the water sculpture was scrapped it still demands an exclamation point at ground level for pedestrians to admire.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2020, 6:31 PM

Old Posted Dec 24, 2020, 8:00 PM
Show me the blueprints

Why does this look so damn cheap? Are they planning on ripping it up after it gets torn to shreds during the construction process? Honestly can anyone say this looks "good"? Compare to a streetscape you'd see in a brand new urban zone in Europe or Asia. This looks like a mall access road.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Dec 24, 2020, 9:57 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Why does this look so damn cheap? Are they planning on ripping it up after it gets torn to shreds during the construction process? Honestly can anyone say this looks "good"? Compare to a streetscape you'd see in a brand new urban zone in Europe or Asia. This looks like a mall access road.
Define 'cheap'. What would make it better? People in this forum are always critical of even the smallest things, but never provide actual examples of how it could be made better. What about 'new urban zones in Europe or Asia' would be beneficial here?

Old Posted Dec 25, 2020, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Huh? I’m from Europe and I have no idea what you are talking about... not really sure what you are looking for here.... neon lights and tile flooring? 😂

Old Posted Dec 25, 2020, 3:30 AM
Show me the blueprints

Just forget it. I had no idea people wouldn't just instinctively know what I was talking about. In a nutshell I don't see much here that looks like they are trying to create something that will improve with age. Just standard old concrete and engineers handbook streetlights. Lame. The possibilities are endless and they seemingly didn't think of a single one.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Dec 25, 2020, 1:55 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Just forget it. I had no idea people wouldn't just instinctively know what I was talking about. In a nutshell I don't see much here that looks like they are trying to create something that will improve with age. Just standard old concrete and engineers handbook streetlights. Lame. The possibilities are endless and they seemingly didn't think of a single one.
Well yes, that's true, I personally don't know what you're talking about. What else would the street be made of? Pavers? Asphalt road are pretty standard considering they can be maintained and upgraded relatively easier than concrete. Cost is everything when related to construction, but that doesn't mean that what we see is cheap by any means; keep in mind we're just seeing surface improvements and not the new utilities under the surface. The streetlights are LED so they're probably a lot more efficient than the classic Chicago "orange glo". Plus it appears there's a dedicated, integrated bike lane, which is pretty important:

Don't forget, landscape work on the parkways will most likely be planted in the springtime, seating/benches, as well as other lighting, and even signage have still to be installed.

This is just the first piece of the puzzle.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2020, 3:04 PM

Quote:
I understand and I thought the same about the Fulton market streetscape “upgrades”. I think all streets follow the same guidelines but without the surrounding buildings here you can reallly see what they look like.

I’m sure it will be torn up every month during construction like they do in the rest of the city.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2020, 3:06 AM

Quote:

Nah I don't think any public sculpture era is over if there is such a thing. The last one I remember going in downtown prior to the Calatrava piece is David Hovey's sculpture at Optima which I believe was 2016 or 2017? and before that I believe that exhibit on superior had a sculpture installed in the pocket park on wells. Also I believe the first design for 1000M included a public sculpture of some type.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2020, 4:10 AM

that road looks awesome

Old Posted Dec 29, 2020, 4:49 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
I think it's still too soon to tell. W/r/t the streetlights, I know CDOT is extremely strict about maintaining a limited number of designs. It's basically just this one, or the black Victorian design which would be even worse.

The asphalt you see is just a binder course, so it's not manicured at all. The final wearing course of asphalt will look nicer, it will cover the gutter and probably smooth out some of the dips but they won't put that in until after the winter at least since the batch plants are closed. There's also a lot of landscaping yet to go in, and street furniture. You can see the stubs for the pedestrian lamps. I think other furniture like benches, trashcans, etc will be installed (and maintained) by Related as they develop each building. The retaining walls further south by the underpasses have a nice "flying delta" pattern cast into them, so at least in that section they gave it some flair.

I think the important thing here is just the cross-section. The multiple allees of trees are what will give it a European feel, and it seems that they have provided adequate soil for the trees to flourish. I wish they were plane trees, of course, for that real Parisian je ne sais quoi but I think Chicago's winters might be a little too extreme for them.

Last edited by ardecila; Dec 29, 2020 at 5:02 AM.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2020, 1:14 PM

I am loving the big infrastructure builds underway with the CN St Charles Airline rail and viaducts and Wells/Wentworth connector.

When can we expect to see the RI realignment begin construction? The new rail alignment will be needed to move the RI lines west from Clark Street to allow eastern side access to the 78 site.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2020, 4:07 PM
TL;DR

This was the timetable agreed to in early 2019:

This isn't a binding schedule, but Related must start work on all of the above projects before April 2029 or they can no longer be reimbursed by the City.

I think someone upthread mentioned their firm was working on the engineering for the RI relocation, so it seems like the gears are moving if slowly.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2020, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Keep in mind that it also may look kinda lumpy because of the raised "speed tables" designed to calm traffic.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development