HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Jun 25, 2019, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertown View Post
They may not like it if a tower replaced that bizzare mansion but the mansion isn't historically protected so this review process that sunk the tower at this location would be irrelevant no? Or does it still have to go through this review process simply by being located in society hill?
Depends if the district is designated historic, which I imagine it is. For example, the 262 South 16th condo needed approval from the Historical Commission even though the demolished building it is replacing wasn't historic because it sits within a historic district. I'd imagine there would be somewhat more leeway for a replacement building, though, and Standard 9 doesn't apply in the same way it would for an overbuild incorporating a designated building like the Nelson Building.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2019, 5:16 PM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertown View Post
They may not like it if a tower replaced that bizzare mansion but the mansion isn't historically protected so this review process that sunk the tower at this location would be irrelevant no? Or does it still have to go through this review process simply by being located in society hill?
Society Hill is a historic district. So, I imagine a tower replacing the mansion would still have to be reviewed by the historical committee.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2019, 10:21 PM

I'm glad that the building got rejected in its current form, but GOD I hate some residents of Society Hill. I cannot wait for One Dock St. to go up.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2019, 1:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
I'm glad that the building got rejected in its current form, but GOD I hate some residents of Society Hill. I cannot wait for One Dock St. to go up.
They drive me crazy, too. But it happens everywhere.

I remember when there was a hotel/condo proposal out there right across from he Bridge on Race and the whole building was livid about it. "But what about our southern view?" They already had a lawyer. This huge building which required a variance right in the middle of Old City and they would not have it at ALL if another building went up.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2021, 2:38 PM
Midrise

I'm not quite sure what PhillyYIMBY is going on about in this blog entry from yesterday. The "new" massing image touted appears to be precisely the same image posted at the top of this thread in 2019 and as far as I can tell the project is still as dead as a door nail following rejection that year by the Historical Commission.

YIMBY Reveals New Massing Image For 222 Walnut Street In Old City, Center City | PhillyYIMBY.com

Old Posted Jan 26, 2021, 4:12 PM

Yeahhhh... I'm fairly certain this is dead.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2021, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Yeahhhh... I'm fairly certain this is dead.
The Society Hill gang would sooner allow for a Wendy's to take over the Merchant's Exchange building than allow that building.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2021, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayfar View Post
I'm not quite sure what PhillyYIMBY is going on about in this blog entry from yesterday. The "new" massing image touted appears to be precisely the same image posted at the top of this thread in 2019 and as far as I can tell the project is still as dead as a door nail following rejection that year by the Historical Commission.

YIMBY Reveals New Massing Image For 222 Walnut Street In Old City, Center City | PhillyYIMBY.com
PhillyYIMBY is by no means a reliable source for any news. I swear he pulls half of this shit out of thin air.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2021, 7:05 PM

Quote:
PhillyYIMBY is by no means a reliable source for any news. I swear he pulls half of this shit out of thin air.
He recycles a lot of old news without really adding any substantial updates.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2021, 8:33 PM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
Isn't Philly YIMBY ran by one of our own? its a certain user I forgot their name.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2021, 8:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTone View Post
Isn't Philly YIMBY ran by one of our own? its a certain user I forgot their name.
Yes, the author is a regular contributor here. I feel like they must have just scraped the forum for article content, scheduled a bunch and then not updated it. There are so many projects that are dead or stalled out being posted about on Philly YIMBY.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2021, 9:08 PM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTone View Post
I don't know that he runs it, as I additionally see another byline on some posts at that site, but TK2001/Thomas Koloski did a compile a pretty decent retrospective of Liberty Place's design and construction there recently in two parts.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2021, 9:16 PM

I don't quite understand it. The contributor TK2001 provides some great models and also some really good in depth articles. And Philly YIMBY has a lot of very informative content, much of it not found here. To keep up with Philly activity, it needs to be in the browsing rotation. But then he sprinkles dated news, and it seriously diminishes the overall contributions.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2021, 9:47 PM
Chris

So to catch me up... Tom Scannapieco's interest in the Ritz is dead due to the new overlay? So we are stuck with that ugly building forever?

And the hotel proposal at 3rd and Walnut is still a go?

And the Dock Street tower is still a go since it was approved before the overlay?

Old Posted Apr 12, 2021, 8:54 PM

Looks like this got a permit:

ZP-2020-003181 Apr 8, 2021 232-36 WALNUT ST, Philadelphia, PA 19106-3943 CERONE MARIE F 1
For the erection of a New 184' tall, 15 Story Building with Ground Floor commercial, 90 visitor accommodation units on floors 2-14, and 15th floor assembly space. Sizes and dimensions per attached plans. Demo

Old Posted Apr 12, 2021, 9:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanthusiat View Post

ZP-2020-003181 Apr 8, 2021 232-36 WALNUT ST, Philadelphia, PA 19106-3943 CERONE MARIE F 1
For the erection of a New 184' tall, 15 Story Building with Ground Floor commercial, 90 visitor accommodation units on floors 2-14, and 15th floor assembly space. Sizes and dimensions per attached plans. Demo
What the....???!!!

Is this real? The Society Hill Nimby's didn't block this?

Old Posted Apr 12, 2021, 10:10 PM

Did this ever get a proper rendering beyond the massing sketch? Did this not need to go to CDR because of the low number of residences? I thought it would need to because of size.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2021, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanthusiat View Post

Is this for the corner site? Where the hotel was proposed: see thread for 232 Walnut?
What I don't understand is that this permit is for 15 stories and I thought the hotel was shortened to 10 or 11?

Edit: Trying to look this up.. there is a permit dated 4/1/21 for 222 Walnut? can't find any details.

Last edited by GtownFriend; Apr 12, 2021 at 10:51 PM.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2021, 10:49 PM

I feel like I'm missing something here.

Wasn't this shut down by the Society Hill crew?

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 1:50 AM

Seems I posted in the wrong thread - didn’t realize 222 and 232 Walnut were different projects.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive