HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 16, 2023, 3:39 PM

In regards to the SkyCity site, I heard it was sold to a certain local Italian owner and apparently there are no plans for it other than surface parking.[/QUOTE]

He sells it to SkyCity for an inflated eight million dollars then buys it back at a reduced rate from the creditors?

Old Posted Mar 16, 2023, 4:21 PM
What could go wrong?

Sounds like a good bit of business if you can find the work.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Mar 16, 2023, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Sounds like a good bit of business if you can find the work.
Who says there is no money to be made on land in downtown Winnipeg?!

Old Posted Mar 16, 2023, 6:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Also, the Police don't want to park in the parkade they requested. How ridiculous.
For clarity, the City and the police union agreed to the settlement on the secure parking grievance. The City was prepared to make the lower level of the Millennium Library exclusive to employee use including modifications to the building to accomplish this. I was contingent on employee uptake of the offer to a level not publicly disclosed but likely close to 100% of the estimated 250 spaces. The employees would be charged the market rate as established by the public part of the Millennium Library, currently $275 a month. Also regardless of employee uptake on the offer the grievance would be dropped. The threshold was not obtained so the matter is now closed. It isn't that Police didn't want the proposal, they just didn't want to the level required.

The uptake on parking in the past when I was a monthly parker there was that most of public demand could be accommodated on one floor expect on peak demand days, ie the coldest weather days.

For added perspective parking at St Marys and Donald is posted at $195 a month yesterday.

Quote:
Maybe they could just police the area making it safer for all citizens. If the police are scared for their safety it doesn't say much for the service they are providing.
Considering the core purpose for a police for the exist is to provide public safety for all citizens, including their own members. That members are identifying a public safety issue downtown is something they should be looking to address from internally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
I believe the lower level is already parking for the downtown district police cars and the police service garage area. I would not be surprised if the "white shirts" also have their parking in the lower level.

Maybe even the specialty units like the bomb squad, checkstop/accident response vans and the tactical response vehicle have spots in the basement as that sort of keeps them central to the city for response times.
When the building operated for Canada Post both the lower warehouse level and what I think is the first above ground level had vehicle access ramps. Also I was at first thinking larger vehicles like checkstop and the mobile command if it is still around might not fit into the building before remembering Canada Post used to move large cube vans in and out of the building.

As for the "white shirts" pretty sure most of the higher ranking members are assigned a 24/7 service vehicle. This means that essentially where ever someone like the chief goes they are in an authorized service vehicle, even when off duty unless they are say driving down to Fargo on time off work. The nature of WPS work is those white shirts may be called more or less at any time to respond to an incident.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2023, 7:25 PM

A few chiefs back there was a Chauffeur position to drive the Chief around.

I think it was a light duties assignment so it was not really taking a body off the street.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2023, 8:09 PM

Depending on what the chief is doing and what the overall organization is doing at the time having another WPS member assigned as the driver for the chief could make sense. It could also be similar to how the premier has an assistant (aka chief of staff) or most city councillors have an assistant. It is actually fairly common role for high level executive to have someone like that which is essentially a proxy for someone with too many commitments.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2023, 8:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
They could always ride the bus. But probably live out of the City, so that's not an option.
It is an option. Quite a few use park and rides or street parking adjacent to BRT stations.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2023, 11:38 PM

Quote:
No, the SkyCity site is in between it and the Police HQ 300 ft away.

In regards to the SkyCity site, I heard it was sold to a certain local Italian owner and apparently there are no plans for it other than surface parking.
Sold back to prior owner?

Old Posted Mar 17, 2023, 12:59 PM
What could go wrong?

^^^I believe this to be true.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Mar 17, 2023, 2:52 PM

I factually know that before he was chief that Devon Clunis commuted by bus at least some of the time.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2023, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKB View Post
In regards to the SkyCity site, I heard it was sold to a certain local Italian owner and apparently there are no plans for it other than surface parking.

Meanwhile, the CEO if Fortis is enjoying life, often spotted in front row seats at Toronto Raptors games. The punishment for white collar crime in this country is a joke.

Winnipeg and Regina were victimised by these conmen.

Last edited by BlackDog204; Mar 17, 2023 at 5:03 PM.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2023, 4:44 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog204 View Post
Meanwhile, the CEO if Fortis is enjoying life, often spotted in front row seats at Toronto Raptors games. The punishment for white collar crime in this country is a joke.

A lot of stupid people voted for slippery Sam which came with his even shadier sidekick slimy Sheegl!

For once I actually agree with Thug Kinew on having an inquiry into the whole mess and massive malfeasance!~

Clown city council oblivious to it all and with Devon Clueless at the helm of the WPS

Old Posted Mar 17, 2023, 4:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
A lot of stupid people voted for slippery Sam which came with his even shadier sidekick slimy Sheegl!

For once I actually agree with Thug Kinew on having an inquiry into the whole mess and massive malfeasance!~

Clown city council oblivious to it all and with Devon Clueless at the helm of the WPS
Whatever happened to Sammy? Does he ever return to Winnipeg, from the house in Arizona that Shindico gave him for next to nothing?

Old Posted Mar 17, 2023, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog204 View Post

Surely you mean Fortress?!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan