HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 5, 2023, 6:00 PM

A direct flight to ATL would be absolutely fantastic.
Getting to South America from Winnipeg is a nightmare as you’re usually forced to layover in Toronto and either the US (ATL, MIA, IAH,) or Panama.
Current set up is far from ideal.

Latin migration to WPG is increasing tremendously, it makes perfect sense to connect us more directly.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2023, 7:27 PM

I guess I havent looked in awhile but what happened to Westjet direct from WPG to Vegas? They used to have at least a couple per week. I always liked the Sunday night Vegas-WPG flight. Looking at a trip end of May and best flight is to connect through Vancouver? Terrible.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2023, 10:45 PM

Westjet still offers two flights to Vegas from Winnipeg per week.

Until the end of April, flights are scheduled for every Monday and Thursday.
Starting beginning of May (including Sunday April 30th), flights are scheduled for every Sunday and Thursday.

From June to September, I seen some basic fares at $366 roundtrip.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2023, 8:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1990 View Post
Westjet still offers two flights to Vegas from Winnipeg per week.

Until the end of April, flights are scheduled for every Monday and Thursday.
Starting beginning of May (including Sunday April 30th), flights are scheduled for every Sunday and Thursday.

From June to September, I seen some basic fares at $366 roundtrip.
Hmmm interesting, those options didnt come up when I did a mock booking. Ill keep it mind, thanks!

Old Posted Apr 28, 2023, 1:20 PM

Some news regarding the possible return of flights to Chicago and Denver out of Winnipeg:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...port-1.6824523

Interesting to see what sort of international issues the local airport has to overcome, including a pilot shortage.

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Apr 28, 2023, 1:57 PM

^ The WAA can hope all it wants, but it is at the mercy of the airlines. I'd imagine that Winnipeg is not at the front of the line for restoration of United Airlines service levels. We certainly do need them, though... going to the US is not as convenient as it was pre-pandemic.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2023, 6:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ The WAA can hope all it wants, but it is at the mercy of the airlines. I'd imagine that Winnipeg is not at the front of the line for restoration of United Airlines service levels. We certainly do need them, though... going to the US is not as convenient as it was pre-pandemic.
I don't see anywhere in the article where it suggests the WAA is just sitting around and hoping. They admit it's going to be a difficult job getting these routes back again, but they seem to have set this goal for themselves and are looking for ways to make it happen. Good on them, I say.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2023, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
I don't see anywhere in the article where it suggests the WAA is just sitting around and hoping. They admit it's going to be a difficult job getting these routes back again, but they seem to have set this goal for themselves and are looking for ways to make it happen. Good on them, I say.
Well, what levers do they have to pull? More subsidies like for the LAX flight (very questionable value there)? Maybe that moves them up in the line. But beyond that it's not their call.

Prepandemic their efforts were always focused on attracting Europe flights. It didn't really get them anywhere.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2023, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Well, what levers do they have to pull? More subsidies like for the LAX flight (very questionable value there)? Maybe that moves them up in the line. But beyond that it's not their call.

Prepandemic their efforts were always focused on attracting Europe flights. It didn't really get them anywhere.
What levers do they have to pull? I have no idea. I don't work for WAA or anywhere in the airline industry. Just because I'm not aware of what they might do, however, doesn't mean those "levers" don't exist.

I'm making the assumption that people directly involved with the WAA have a realistic idea of what they may have to do to re-establish the flight connections they spoke about. I doubt we'll see anything in the next few weeks or months, in fact if it happens I expect we'll be looking at years. I still applaud their efforts.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2023, 2:00 PM

^ The point is that I'm not sure there is really a lot that WAA can do here beyond offering subsidy money in one form or another to speed up the restoration of flights to DEN and ORD. But I agree, good on WAA for at least making it a priority.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2023, 1:16 PM

Went to Chicago a few weeks back w my kid for a hockey thing. Flights from Winnipeg were $1100 each and had a 2hr layover in Minneapolis. Plus no Sunday night flight home. So instead, we drove 3 hrs to Fargo, paid $50 parking and $410 each for a direct flight to Chicago and they had a late Sunday night flight. I think United had 3 or 4 direct daily Fargo-Chicago.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2023, 5:05 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
Went to Chicago a few weeks back w my kid for a hockey thing. Flights from Winnipeg were $1100 each and had a 2hr layover in Minneapolis. Plus no Sunday night flight home. So instead, we drove 3 hrs to Fargo, paid $50 parking and $410 each for a direct flight to Chicago and they had a late Sunday night flight. I think United had 3 or 4 direct daily Fargo-Chicago.
That’s honestly the way to do it right now. Of course, if the Winnipeg flight were to resume, hard to beat the convenience.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Apr 30, 2023, 5:43 PM

Quote:
^ The point is that I'm not sure there is really a lot that WAA can do here beyond offering subsidy money in one form or another to speed up the restoration of flights to DEN and ORD. But I agree, good on WAA for at least making it a priority.
If they are going after ORD, the best option would be to try to get American Airlines to do the route. That provides competition.

United is aligned with Air Canada. Delta with WestJet. AA is the one airline that provides true competition in the market.

Old Posted May 1, 2023, 1:11 PM

At the choice of WestJet the partnership with Delta was not renewed.

Old Posted May 1, 2023, 2:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
If they are going after ORD, the best option would be to try to get American Airlines to do the route. That provides competition.

United is aligned with Air Canada. Delta with WestJet. AA is the one airline that provides true competition in the market.
AA would be a tough sell. I don't think they have ever served YWG. Plus, AA seems to be in retrench mode in Canada. AA has not yet returned to Edmonton and Ottawa; are now only providing seasonal service to Halifax and Quebec City and are still below pre-pandemic service levels to their year-round Canadian cities - Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto and Montreal.

Old Posted May 1, 2023, 4:35 PM

I couldn’t help but notice that the LAX flight didn’t depart YWG this morning. Was there a change in scheduling?

Edit: I checked my flight radar app
And it’s departing tomorrow Tuesday at 8am. Schedule change maybe!?

Last edited by Wpgstvsouth94; May 1, 2023 at 8:03 PM.

Old Posted May 1, 2023, 6:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozabald View Post
AA would be a tough sell. I don't think they have ever served YWG. Plus, AA seems to be in retrench mode in Canada. AA has not yet returned to Edmonton and Ottawa; are now only providing seasonal service to Halifax and Quebec City and are still below pre-pandemic service levels to their year-round Canadian cities - Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto and Montreal.
American Airlines flew F-100s into Winnipeg from ORD during the late 90s.

Old Posted May 2, 2023, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpgstvsouth94 View Post
I couldn’t help but notice that the LAX flight didn’t depart YWG this morning. Was there a change in scheduling?

Edit: I checked my flight radar app
And it’s departing tomorrow Tuesday at 8am. Schedule change maybe!?

Yes LAX will now leave at 8am instead of 650am
I think they switched their days of the week as well but can’t remember

Old Posted May 3, 2023, 1:18 PM
What could go wrong?

When we went to LA in Nov it left at 8 am. I thought they all left at 8 am.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted May 3, 2023, 1:45 PM

The Free Press food column of all things mentioned that there is going to be a new route announcement on May 11...

"L.A. was the first new destination that Winnipeg got since 2016 and it’s been a game-changer,” she says. “We are going to announce one more on May 11. Slowly and surely we are making progress in an environment that has been very tough."

Any speculation as to where??

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan