HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 2:13 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Tragic about that HBC flagship in Winnipeg closing. Lovely building. Eaton's giant flagship in downtown Montreal lay empty for years before being redeveloped into Simons et al.

banq

Eaton's had a fabulous art deco restaurant on the ninth floor. I ate there when I was much younger.

radio-canada.ca

wikimedia
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 2:17 PM
The Vomit Bag.

the architecture of Central Station is modern; it is a mixture of Art Deco and the international style.

getty

wikipeda
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 2:36 PM

The restaurant at Eaton is still there and very much intact, even though it's been close and unaccessible to the public for 20 scandalous years. It is an heritage classified site, not just the wall, but everything, including the furniture and even the cutlery. We are still waiting for the place to find a new life.

PS.: Simon is located in the old Simpson's store. The old Eaton store is now the new wing of the Eaton Center, anchored by Uniqlo, Décathlon and Time Out Market.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 2:38 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Mtl View Post
The restaurant at Eaton is still there and very much intact, even though it's been close and unaccessible to the public for 20 scandalous years. It is an heritage classified site, not just the wall, but everything, including the furniture and even the cutlery. We are still waiting for the place to find a new life.

PS.: Simon is located in the old Simpson's store. The old Eaton store is now the new wing of the Eaton Center, anchored by Uniqlo, Décathlon and Time Out Market.
yes you are right. I was going from my hazy memory of thousands of walks through the underground city...but it has been awhile since i lived in Montreal.

even more tragic than my decaying memory, of course, is the deteriorating state of the 9ieme (restaurant). What a lost treasure.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 2:41 PM

It's a beautiful exemple of Beaux-Arts style architecture, not Art Deco.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave46 View Post
The Bay Store in Winnipeg closed. It had some Art Deco style too. Hopefully it gets repurposed into something that continues to bring life to downtown Winnipeg. Condos, maybe?

Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 2:58 PM

I guess the ground floor canopy could qualify as Deco or Moderne.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 3:00 PM

Quote:
I think I always thought they were the same building. They're both very similar in many ways (large beige block). Looking at them now I can see the difference. It's striking to see how the Calgary and Montreal Eatons are near identical architecturally, similar to HBC Vancouver vs Victoria.

Question on the Eaton's restaurant in Montreal; the curved part of the ceiling with the horizontal windows, are those windows? Because we can't see them from outside. Was (is) the restaurant in the middle of the 9th floor?

Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 3:08 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
I think I always thought they were the same building. They're both very similar in many ways (large beige block). Looking at them now I can see the difference. It's striking to see how the Calgary and Montreal Eatons are near identical architecturally, similar to HBC Vancouver vs Victoria.

Question on the Eaton's restaurant in Montreal; the curved part of the ceiling with the horizontal windows, are those windows? Because we can't see them from outside. Was (is) the restaurant in the middle of the 9th floor?
I believe that the upper floor(s) had a courtyard design.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 4:13 PM

Quote:
It's a beautiful exemple of Beaux-Arts style architecture, not Art Deco.
And apparently was planned to be even more imposing at one point...

- source in image

Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 4:17 PM

^ That rendering has taken on a bit of a life of its own in recent years but I wonder how realistic it ever was?

I mean, last time I bought a car I scanned AutoTrader.ca to see how much Lamborghinis were going for before ultimately settling on a Nissan, but I can't honestly call that "the time I almost bought a Lamborghini"...

Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
yes you are right. I was going from my hazy memory of thousands of walks through the underground city...but it has been awhile since i lived in Montreal.

even more tragic than my decaying memory, of course, is the deteriorating state of the 9ieme (restaurant). What a lost treasure.
That’s the thing, though, it is not deterioring at all and even less a lost treasure. It is kept very much frozen in time and protected. Just empty.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 8:41 PM
Look at me!

The Shawinigan Power and Water building at Dorchester and Beaver Hall streets. 60m tall. Built in 1949.

An oddly unknown and low-profile Montreal art deco beauty.

In_it_2020_10_08 by Foofoo MacShoe, on Flickr

Art Deco Building by Sandra Cohen-Rose and Colin Rose, on Flickr

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-JCEFT87SN...1600/where.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-12-03 at 3.43.02 PM by Foofoo MacShoe, on Flickr
http://www.lerapideblanc.com/docs/Hi...apide_1_SG.pdf

You can see it here next to its deco-buddy the (now demolished) Architects building.

Montréal, Canada, 1961 by Dave's old slides, on Flickr

Last edited by Rico Rommheim; Dec 3, 2020 at 9:00 PM.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 10:26 PM

I wonder whether that’s another example of a project delayed by the Depression and the war, or if it was a post-war design?

Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 11:11 PM
Look at me!

I've always wondered. There's almost 0 information about this building.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2020, 1:13 PM

The Dominion Government Building in Regina, which features in the stamp series below.

- Alamy preview

"According to designer Ivan Novotny of Taylor | Sprules, 'Many of the great (Art) Deco buildings across this country have very distinct silhouettes that were defined by the principles of the movement. It’s the commonly overlooked extraordinary details that adorn these great spires that demand a closer look.'"
https://www.canadapost.ca/web/en/blo...ing&cat=stamps

- Postage Stamp Guide and elsewhere (Canada Post)

Old Posted Mar 24, 2023, 1:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Tragic about that HBC flagship in Winnipeg closing. Lovely building. Eaton's giant flagship in downtown Montreal lay empty for years before being redeveloped into Simons et al.

banq

Eaton's had a fabulous art deco restaurant on the ninth floor. I ate there when I was much younger.

radio-canada.ca

wikimedia
Great news yesterday about le 9ième Art Deco restaurant in the old Eaton: it will be restored to its former glory and re-opened later this year. The restoration work is already started. The restaurant, which can hold 500 guests, is the largest Art Deco space in Montreal and arguably one of the most beautiful in North America. Going by the official name Île-de-France, the restaurant opened in 1931 and was designed by Jacques Carlu, a French architect who also did the Trocadéro and the Palais du Chaillot in Paris, as well as The Carlu in Toronto.

It closed in 1999, along with the Eaton store. The same year, the Quebec Government classified it as historical, which means that nothing could be altered, including the furniture, the dishes and even the cutlery, everything was to be preserved. The space layed dormant for more than 20 years.

It was Lady Eaton, the widow of the heir to the business, who had been commissioned to build the restaurant. She had entrusted the design to the French architect Jacques Carlu, who was then working in the United States. It was also Jacques Carlu who designed the tea room in the Eaton's store in Toronto, in addition to the Palais de Chaillot in Paris, on the occasion of the 1937 World's Fair.

Carlu was inspired, for the design of the restaurant on the ninth floor, by the large dining rooms of the transatlantic liners, which marked the imagination of travelers at that time. It is said that he was particularly inspired by that of the Île-de-France, a ship built in 1927.

Le 9e restaurant in the former Eaton's store in Montreal will reopen

This iconic downtown establishment closed its doors at in the fall of 1999, following the bankruptcy of the Eaton's chain of stores.

If it took all this time to announce a reopening, it's because Ivanhoé Cambridge was looking for an ideal partner. We had to wait to find the right formula, says Ms. Desmarteau. It is a tenant who is going to settle and you have to make sure that he will respect, throughout the lease, all the criteria in terms of heritage.

But if the art deco current is clearly visible in the 9th, this work is particularly original, explains Georges Drolet. Carlu was able to bridge the gap between a fairly classic French tradition, which evokes French and European luxury, and a kind of more cosmopolitan avant-garde linked to the German avant-garde. and American. So, we have in this place a combination of the two which is really unique.

For example, the symmetry of the dining room refers to the classic volume of a basilica , while the floor of Ruboleum, an industrial material, presents a Cubist-inspired mosaic reminiscent of the carpets of the time made by painters such as Sonia Delaunay or Fernand Léger, explains Georges Drolet, who is also a historian of architecture.

Shortly after the establishment closed, the interior of the restaurant was classified as a heritage building by the Ministry of Culture and Communications.

Le 9e is almost art deco canon, says Dinu Bumbaru, policy director at Heritage Montreal. The organization, which had requested this classification, wishes that the integrity of the place be respected and that the public can enjoy it.

Last edited by Martin Mtl; Mar 24, 2023 at 2:03 PM.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2023, 4:06 PM
be nice to the crackheads

Here's a little classic on Denman Street in Vancouver I snapped the other day

And, of course, the Marine Building.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2023, 5:34 PM

Two electric sub-stations in Ottawa have art deco elements.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...ions-1.5460000

A few Charlesfort Development condo projects. Hudson Park, The Continental and The Merit.

https://capitalcondos.ca/property/245-kent/

https://capitalcondos.ca/property/75-cleary/

https://ottawamagazine.com/sponsored...ind-the-merit/

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada