HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 16, 2023, 2:00 PM

This may be a dumb question, but is Centreport even a good idea?

I mean, yes, there's tenants and development, but is it just a well-served commercial/industrial park?

Is there any actual demand for the idea of an "inland port" with all these multimodal facilities? I'd be rich if I had a dollar for every time I hear Winnipeg politician or economic development types talk about our "strategic location at the heart of the continent" or whatever, and how we're going to be an important "logistics hub".

But is there an actual market need for this, or is it all just going to be companies who don't really care about/need an "inland port", but will follow the tax breaks and the availability of good industrial land?

Old Posted Mar 16, 2023, 2:08 PM

Good question. At this point it seems to be shaping up to be an exceptionally good industrial park in the vein of the city's other industrial parks, as compared to some revolutionary game-changer. Basically building upon the city's existing strengths in trucking/transport/warehousing/light industrial as compared to bringing something new and completely different to the city.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2023, 2:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
I'm wondering how CN and BN are going to access the private rail yard as they keep getting mentioned in all the promotional material for CenterPort?

Will CP give them running rights down their main line to pickup and deliver rail cars or will CP do the pickup from the new rail yard and do the interchange with CN at Paddington Interchange in St. B and BN at the small rail yard next to Westview Park?
Yes something like that. Likely the interchange yards.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2023, 2:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Thanks. The bottom image makes it look like an intermodal yard. I wonder if they are going to run any spurs directly to users or if this common use facility is it?
The intermodal looking thing is the common use rail yard noted in the plan. And then yes there will be individual spur tracks going to customers like a typical rail served industrial park.

To the questions of why provide a new rail served park when the existing rail served areas are slowly losing rail customers. Good point. haha That's why this whole thing has taken forever to get going. Focus Equities is driving it forward. That's where my other point about looking for large anchor tenants comes in. Otherwise, if someone wants rail service, they can probably find a place somewhere else in the City.

The sales pitch from CentrePort is that they are located next to highways, rail and air. So it provides some type of benefit to customers. Pretty thin sales pitch.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2023, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic_City View Post
The days of local industries requiring railcars spotted right to their back door are pretty much gone. Most of the rail-served industrial areas in Winnipeg have very few industries still using these industrial spurs. In the St James industrial area I think there’s just Russell Metals on Saskatchewan, the drywall plant by Garbage Hill, and Reliance Products on Sherwin using the spur. In the Murray Industrial Park, there’s just Winpak. In the West End, Cascades on Wall still gets a few boxcars spotted. Not sure if there’s anything in the Fort Garry Industrial Park. A lot of the old spurs are being abandoned. If you look at the satellite images on Google maps you can see a few rail cars here and there in the older industrial areas. I don’t know how long the city will continue to maintain these spurs.
I can’t imagine there are too many industries left that require railcars delivered to their door, so a common intermodal facility at Centreport is likely sufficient.
Manitoba Hydro is still rail served off of the CN part of the Sugar Beet Spur in Fort Gary. They get flat car loads of hydro poles to the Waverly Service center and large substation transformers to their High Voltage test center on Chevrier Blvd.

The CP part of the Sugar Beet spur was taken up years ago

Old Posted Mar 16, 2023, 6:07 PM

In my opinion Centreport is one of the better ideas MB has had.
Or at least one of the best executed ideas MB has had..

The city obviously has been slow to benefit fully from this development, but we seem to be well underway.

This video was posted roughly a month ago. It’s a great update on the state of Centreport.

Video Link

Old Posted Apr 12, 2023, 1:43 PM

Centreport has announced the hiring of a new President and CEO.

Quote:
Carly Edmundson has been named the new president and CEO of CentrePort Canada Inc., returning to the organization where she’d previously spent six years.

Edmundson takes over from Diane Gray, who stepped down from the leadership position in the fall after running the inland port since its inception in 2008.

Just before Gray’s departure the city and the province committed to investing $60 million to build sewer, water and power infrastructure to allow for the development of another 2,500 acres of CentrePort land west of the airport and subsequent to Gray’s tenure the CentrePort Rail Park received $18 million from the federal government.

So Edmundson’s tenure will mark a very clear new chapter in the project’s development that to date has already attracted hundreds of millions of dollars of investment mostly west of Brookside Boulevard.

The next phase – including the 665 acre CentrePort Rail Park which is being developed by Focus Equities – will concentrate on the western portion of CentrePort’s 20,000 acres footprint.
https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bu...ort-canada-inc

Old Posted Aug 2, 2023, 2:14 AM

https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/first-te...aled-1.6502776

CentrePoint's first rail park tenant has been announced, and it's... FastFrate, who will be leaving its 12 acre site in Winnipeg to move out to the RM of Rosser.

Why exactly did Winnipeg decide to pour $20 million into this dumb idea?

Old Posted Aug 2, 2023, 3:44 AM

Wow that is a massive tax loss

Old Posted Aug 2, 2023, 1:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinCitySparky View Post
Wow that is a massive tax loss
i disagree, a huge user of rail in the Keewatin area is no longer required, makes a better case for shutting down SOME of those rail lines in that area. Also a few hundred less semi driving down those roads daily putting less wear tear on roads.

I recently drove North perimeter, blew my mind how many Industrial building have gone up along West St Paul area.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2023, 1:32 PM

CPKC's intermodal terminal is located at 611 Keewatin, right next to where Fastfreight is now. I assume they are a big CPKC customer. Maybe the plan is move a lot of the intermodel traffic out of that area? CPKC was at the groundbreaking, so maybe there's a bigger plan to consolidate some of that business at Centreport? This would reduce heavy truck traffic in the city, and open up some land for redevelopment. I don't think it's a bad thing for the city overall.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2023, 2:00 PM

Yeah... I grew up in Tyndall Park and the amount of semi-trailer traffic going up and down streets in the area (Keewatin, Notre Dame, Route 90, etc.) is staggering. Those roads aren't really designed for that many big, lumbering trucks clogging them up. FastFrate moving its terminal won't be a game-changer on its own, but anything that lightens that burden would be great.

Moving the CN intermodal yard off of Kenaston (where the outlet mall is now) was a good step, doing the same with CP would make sense too.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2023, 2:29 PM

If Fastfrate was leaving the province I might be upset, but it's not. Yes losing some direct taxation benefits for the city is not good, but as people have pointed out, the city can still benefit from the repurposing of the lord Fastfrate and on Kenaston, and I think removing some wear and tear on city streets can be a good thing as well.

As the first company to move to the rail park, I'm sure there are others watching to see how effective the place could be for their business, or at least, Fastfrate can be used as a positive example to sell more rail park space to other companies.

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Aug 2, 2023, 2:50 PM

Shuffling of deck chairs.

IIRC, FastFrate was leasing the land from CPKC on Keewatin. Maybe they'll get another tenant in there or just let the land sit empty.

I do also think there is a bigger play coming from CPKC. They had talked about building a new autoport, separate from the current site with CN at Paddington. They are currently looking at autoport changes in other locales. Maybe they could move the intermodal yard, but typically they won't do anything if the current set-up is working fine. I don't think Centreport is really set-up for a large intermodal facility. We'll see what happens.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2023, 3:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post

IIRC, FastFrate was leasing the land from CPKC on Keewatin. Maybe they'll get another tenant in there or just let the land sit empty.

I do also think there is a bigger play coming from CPKC. They had talked about building a new autoport, separate from the current site with CN at Paddington. They are currently looking at autoport changes in other locales. Maybe they could move the intermodal yard, but typically they won't do anything if the current set-up is working fine. I don't think Centreport is really set-up for a large intermodal facility. We'll see what happens.
I don't think it takes all that much for inland intermodal facilities. Field? Highway access? Railway access? Good to go. I don't see why Centreport couldn't handle it.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2023, 3:04 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post

Wasn't the whole point of centreport to be a large intermodal facility?
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Aug 2, 2023, 3:22 PM

A specific facility to replace CP's intermodal on Keewatin will need to be long and I don't think will fit within the rail park at CentrePort. It can probably fit along the main track, and I remember seeing plans before something about that area. So it could maybe fit there. The railways will typically require a double end connection (the current CP facility is single end connected for the loading/unloading). So that means the facility will need to run parallel to the main track.

Edit: There should be lots of room along Rosser Road to run it there.

Last edited by bomberjet; Aug 2, 2023 at 3:35 PM.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2023, 3:30 PM

^ There is tons of space around Centreport. They might have to amend their plans but I see no real logistical barriers to something as simple as an intermodal facility.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2023, 3:51 PM

Great insights thanks

Old Posted Oct 6, 2023, 4:23 PM

The rail park in CentrePort is under active construction near Roser Rd and CCW.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan