HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted May 2, 2008, 5:47 PM

Yep, I really can't stand 409/499 Illinois. I was hoping it would get better as they got further long, but I'm still not impressed. I think the angled walls were to allow them to squish the building as close together as possible, but still allow light to reach between them. Not a fan though.

DD's shots show pretty well the clash of colors. The "greenish" window panels inside the stone areas (and, inexplicably, also outside those areas in some places) just look sickly compared to the gray panels that dominate the rest of the buildings. There are even a couple of "yellowish" panels in places that make the hodge-podge look even worse.

And the mechanical screening up top isn't completely opaque, so the steel framing for those panels is visible when the light is behind them. The screening is still going up, so maybe they have plans for the inside that will make things opaque, but I'm not optimistic.

The "Chiquita Banana" sculpture outside 500 Terry Francois is the one I mentioned briefly a while ago...it's by Richard Deutsch and called "Hulls."

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development