HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted May 5, 2020, 8:00 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by fawd View Post
It's very interesting that the best tenant they could find for such a high-profile location is a Goodwill.

There obviously wasn't much interest in the location. I'd also assume the building's owner/management wasn't asking for an astronomical price per foot either.

Shame.
I wonder when Goodwill agreed to occupy the building. If it was pre-pandemic, it would be surprising someone else wasn’t willing to outbid Goodwill. It happened in the last six weeks, though, all bets would be off. With crowded bars, dance clubs, and musics venues all likely to be among the last businesses to return to normal operations, Goodwill might have suddenly become the most viable prospect.

Old Posted May 5, 2020, 8:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsunsurfer View Post
I am enjoying being a spectator regarding this discussion.

One thing I learned from 08 is that when Goodwill snapped up those empty anchor retail spaces, they haven't given them up. We'll see in the long run if rents rise enough for them to reconsider their location(s). So if they do set up in DeSoto, they will definately be a long term tenant. I personally prefer a rotating line of restaurants and clubs.
Would be interesting with this ’urban concept’ if they integrated multiple tenants into the building along with Goodwill. So while Goodwill remains the interior anchor, the patio caters to a coffee place or cafe/bookseller like the Strand in Central Park. Downtown will benefit having more retail. Not everyone wanted that corner to be a nightclub, but I’m glad it gave those who wanted the option to zone out to EDM and sugary cocktails had the choice in downtown instead of a generic strip mall.

And I’m all for a Goodwill’ in this location IF they don’t do something reckless, however unlikely, to that corner such as convert it to surface parking or something equally harmful. Maybe they’ll extend the building to the corner and nix the patio entirely?

Just throwing ideas out there...

Old Posted May 5, 2020, 9:05 PM

Imagine if they took the Desoto Market concept and turned it into a Vintage Mall of sorts. All the kids could buy their vintage thrift clothes and have several store operators in the building. I've no clue if that's a viable idea but it might be neat.

Old Posted May 5, 2020, 9:32 PM

The space needs an 'anchor' type tenant that could really maximize the large space. It's also far enough away from the other establishments, that it really requires something 'iconic' to drive drive foot traffic.

I always thought Blanco's would be awesome and successful there. Before the B23 location obviously.

But a Goodwill it is...

Old Posted May 5, 2020, 9:47 PM
Modulator

Quote:
The space needs an 'anchor' type tenant that could really maximize the large space. It's also far enough away from the other establishments, that it really requires something 'iconic' to drive drive foot traffic.

I always thought Blanco's would be awesome and successful there. Before the B23 location obviously.

But a Goodwill it is...
Apparently someone prefers a low quality retail concept in an iconic historical building on a prominent street corner that is pretty much the "Welcome" intersection into Downtown PHX.

Old Posted May 5, 2020, 9:51 PM

Fixed it for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro View Post
Apparently someone prefers a retail concept that can drive enough traffic to not only maximize the space, but actually stay in business for more than 6 months.

Old Posted May 5, 2020, 9:57 PM

Quote:
Fixed it for you.

Old Posted May 5, 2020, 9:58 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Fixed it for you.
What did you fix?

Old Posted May 5, 2020, 10:00 PM

I am all for a cool Goodwill!!! Roosevelt Row will embrace it!

Old Posted May 5, 2020, 10:28 PM

I'm not against Goodwill, but I'm not for it either. Its just a for-profit corporation that takes advantage of people's generosity. So take that to the bank.

Old Posted May 5, 2020, 10:31 PM

Goodwill is technically a 5013c. They are not "for profit" but there are many ways in which one can circumvent the rules. Invest back in the company, raise salaries, etc.

https://www.goodwillncw.org/facts-about-goodwill/

Old Posted May 5, 2020, 10:46 PM
Skyriser

This is an urban concept store that I wager will have higher prices than the regular stores and probably feature some of the best smaller items that are donated.

There are Goodwills *everywhere,* including North Scottsdale so I don't know why we're discriminating against them downtown. If crime is the issue more bars and clubs are not an option.

I do agree that they should be closer to the 7th but maybe they'll do something with the space that works, stay open later, be a destination, etc. I can imagine that they will incorporate a lot of feedback to not be just another goodwill but have a flagship location. This will probably be a win for downtown in the long run. There are many other sites downtown that need revitalization (eg, get the crummy auto shops in historic buildings out) and can fit a club or brewpub or whatever. A club would work better there to complement the burgeoning West Van Buren scene.

Old Posted May 5, 2020, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
This is an urban concept store that I wager will have higher prices than the regular stores and probably feature some of the best smaller items that are donated.

There are Goodwills *everywhere,* including North Scottsdale so I don't know why we're discriminating against them downtown. If crime is the issue more bars and clubs are not an option.

I do agree that they should be closer to the 7th but maybe they'll do something with the space that works, stay open later, be a destination, etc. I can imagine that they will incorporate a lot of feedback to not be just another goodwill but have a flagship location. This will probably be a win for downtown in the long run. There are many other sites downtown that need revitalization (eg, get the crummy auto shops in historic buildings out) and can fit a club or brewpub or whatever. A club would work better there to complement the burgeoning West Van Buren scene.
You are absolutely correct! There is an Edgar and James Goodwill Specialty Store at PCH and Torrance Blvd. - a block from the Redondo Beach pier. I used to go in there and get some nice things...not clothes. When I retired and moved to Prescott last November, I donated five carloads of stuff to them. There is a regular Goodwill Store in Manhattan Beach. Towards the end of my career, I would go and get a few slacks, etc., from there. No need to continue spending way too much money at Nordstrom's for something just as good that I could get for a fraction at that Goodwill Store. They would have to be in decent condition - and I would take to the cleaners - no problem. There is nothing in Arizona that is remotely close to Manhattan Beach - $$$$ - and that includes Paradise Valley and north Scottsdale. That store is at the corner of Artesia and PCH - near Mira Costa High School. No problem shopping there. When I moved here, I took some stuff to the Goodwill on Iron Springs Rd. There were some homeless/street folks there. There are homeless everywhere. There were homeless on the streets in Redondo. Downtown L.A. (Don't get me started - please - on that part of town). A police officer actually contracted typhus from the filth (fecal matter, etc.) in the streets. Downtown L.A. is exploding with high rise construction and L.A. Live.

Old Posted May 5, 2020, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azliam View Post
I guess I see if differently than you do. I really wanted Track Club to succeed. The reason for that is it would have been nice for downtown PHX to not only have an upscale club, but to tap into that Scottsdale market and hope to bring some more bodies downtown where we SHOULD have more of an urban nightlife experience than one of our suburbs has. These suburbs often pull much opportunity away from downtown PHX (I'm sure there are other factors involved as well) that it would be nice to start pulling back.
Agreed

Old Posted May 5, 2020, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
Goodwill is technically a 5013c. They are not "for profit" but there are many ways in which one can circumvent the rules. Invest back in the company, raise salaries, etc.

https://www.goodwillncw.org/facts-about-goodwill/
The correct non-profit status is 501 (c) 3. They most certainly can make money - and non-profits NEED to make money to survive. This is a tax exempt status more than about making money. They are exempt from paying certain taxes - (they still have to pay payroll taxes). They are given many tax advantages - wouldn't advise circumventing any rules - if you don't want to have the I.R.S. breathing down your neck.

Old Posted May 6, 2020, 3:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro View Post
Dude, your making up stuff that I haven't even said (like you always do).

When did I ever call a poor mom or family that walks into a thrift-store riff-raff? I'm referring to homeless that will be walking into the store and stealing clothing and leaving things laying around that should not be (dirty used clothes, needles, etc.) and I thought I made that pretty clear from the get go.

I have first hand experience with this for many, many years as I have stated twice now that I shop at Goodwill extensively. There is not a single Goodwill in Phoenix that I have never been too and I never miss sale Saturday. How many times do you actually shop at Goodwill? I'm guessing not much if you think that a Goodwill is not going to attract crime to that corner.

Funny. This is EXACTLY the same thing I was thinking and was going there as well and decided to keep my post more civil.
LOL

Civil is clearly not my middle name! He just makes it too easy sometimes

Old Posted May 6, 2020, 4:31 PM

I'm really interested in seeing how Goodwill executes this concept, if it comes to fruition. Buffalo Exchange was an anchor to Tempe and Mill Avenue's development when it was hopping back in the days of The Plantation Coffeehouse (or whatever Joe of Joe's Farm Grill called it back then). We would all pile in to our cars and go out to Tempe to go thrifting and people watching. It was a really important additional thing to do. Now it seems like Mill Ave is about vape juice and cheap beer (which I think will actually change with all of the new construction coming to fruition).

Time will tell, I guess.

Old Posted May 6, 2020, 6:50 PM

https://www.businessinsider.com/good...-photos-2018-7

One of these is currently under construction at 702 W Dunlap. We'll see how that one goes.

Old Posted May 6, 2020, 6:57 PM

I'ld make a trip to shop there!

Old Posted May 7, 2020, 3:49 PM

So I noticed the office building at Oak and 44th St. is being torn down. Does anyone know what's replacing it? I know there are apartments under construction behind it. While architecturally it wasn't anything significant...it did sit on the hard corner with no set backs. A rarity in this town. It will be too bad if what ever replaces it has surface parking on the hard corner.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest